RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2017, 11:11 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Balance steer then add beads?

After experiencing my first steering blowout, and replacing the blown tire with a now orphan brand tire, Iím installing Toyo m144 on the steers. I want to have the steers spin balanced and then have balance beads added to ensure balance over time or after chuck holes encountered.

I believe this will require breaking the bead on one side to install the beads. Is this right? Or if they add the beads before spin balance will the rims get balanced.

Or should I just skip the spin balance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2017, 11:51 AM   #2

I rotated the tags to the steers due to an alignment problem causing uneven were on the steer tires. I could not get a satisfactory balance with the beads, so I had the tires broken down and vacuumed out the beads and did a spin balance which has been fine since. Beads just haven't always worked for me. When I replace all the tires in 3-4 years, I will add the centramatic balance rings. They seem to be the best solution for keeping a balanced tire for the life of the tire and can be used on the next set.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:55 AM   #3

I had never used Beads before but when I had my 6 new Michelins installed, at the suggestion of the tire shop, they removed the original weights and added Counteract Beads in all six tires. As stated by the tire shop, I felt a bit of a thump in the first 50 miles then it smoothed out. 20,000 miles later it's still as smooth as glass.
Personally, I would go with one or the other but not both. IMHO
Old 12-19-2017, 12:17 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"kerryvan"......first off, if the tire and rim assembly took a fair amount of weight, say 7 ounces or more, I would leave the weights on and install the beads. The weights get you close and then beads will clean up the small imbalance issues.

If you really want to do it right, install Centramatics on the front. They balance the entire hub assembly, brakes, rim and tire. They recommend if the weights are already installed, to leave them on. The Centramatics will cost you about $200.00 for the front. Simply remove the front wheel, slide on the Centramatic balancer and replace the wheel. The best, fastest and cheapest place to by them is the Florida Shores Truck Center.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:37 PM   #5

I installed the same thing, toyo's. All 6 tires only required a small amount of weight.
The installer did not like the beads at all. He showed me some tires that had them and they melted, what a mess.
I drove to fl 1120 miles and were great.
fl rv guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:06 PM   #6

We went with Centramatics all the way around. The tire had previously been balanced. The Centramatics really smoothed out the ride. Well worth the money.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:41 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Here's more information on the subject: What You Should Know About Tire and Wheel Balancing - Articles - Drivers - Articles - TruckingInfo.com
CountryB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:01 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I would go with just the beads, but if you want to do both spin and dynamic balancing, use Centramatic instead of beads.

Dynabeads has a way to add beads through special valve stems. See DynaBeads Tire Balancing Beads
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:38 PM   #9

Added dynabeads with my new Yokohamas 22.5. Had a small vibration could have lived with it but decided to go with centramatics on steers. It has stopped vibration.
Centramatic said to remove beads I did
RobertK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:01 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I recently installed new Michelins on the steers and tried the beads..... Hated them. After a month of trying to deal with it I went back to the shop and made them remove the beads and spin them. No problems since.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:37 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to rccrafters69
I had my front tires rebalanced after a cracked front tire was replaced at the Good Year commercial tire store. They had a dynamic spin balancer that also had a device that loaded the tire to simulate the tire load of the motorhome. Then we installed centramatics to fine tune the job. I have around 5000 miles since it was done and the ride and handling is much improved. I also installed the Tru Centr steering stabilizer which really improved the steering.
rccrafters69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:02 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Just replaced 6 tires with Toyo 295/80/22.5 had beads added to steer tires and did balance all 6.

Did get a fair price at southern tire mart in rgv.
Sold old tires on cl.

They would have installed centramatic if I supplied but I could not find any in time.

Thanks for the advise
Old 01-02-2018, 11:49 AM   #13

We installed mercury balancers front and rear and it really helped the ride. They are called Balance Masters. Take a look at the reviews for the Balance Masters. We have been very pleased with them.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote