Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2010, 04:46 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Balancing confusion "Spin vs Beads"

I've PM'd a few on this and appreciate their responses. I'm in the process of installing 6 Hankook AH11 245/70r/19.5 tires on my Sightseer. The dealer uses Magnum Plus Beads however when I asked his opinion he felt that spin balancing was the best way to go. Those that have both or experience with Magnum Plus please share your thoughts. The cost of the Magnum's are $6.43 tire which is less than the spin balance. As you can see I've totally confused myself.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2010, 06:32 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I just put 6 new Goodrich 22.5's on my rig this fall, used the balance beads and it is smooth as glass. I put them in my motorcycle last spring with new tires and liked them so well in that application, when the tire dealer offered them for my coach I went with them and am very happy
97windsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:42 AM   #3

Ahh... the good ole Dynamic vs Static balancing debate! hehe

If you google "powder vs ceramic vs weights tire balance" you'll get 1000 hits pertaining to this. When I replaced my rears (22.5") they used the Equal product. The tire shop told me that it works better on larger tires than lead weights considering the size of the tire. Most imbalances are caused at the tire tread and not the rim side. Therefore dynamic, internal balancing materials are far superior to clamp on rim methods. Not to mention you don't have to worry about the costs of re-balancing every 15-20k miles. Tires do change over time due to load, wear, road conditions, etc etc. Besides, static wheel balancing on a spin balancer cannot possibly recreate varying load and surface condition. It's pure myth about stuff sticking together inside the wheels - the stuff is a non-absorbent granulated product, whether it's ceramic or polymer based. They do recommend changing your valve stems to a filtered type - which, if you think about it, isn't a bad idea whether you're running a granulated balancing product or not.

Quote:
-Able to balance the total wheel assembly once for the full tread life of the tire.

-Equalizes imbalance constantly, regardless of changing "load forces" and other variables.

-Equal has the ability to adjust to any and all changes of vibration frequency or force variation.

-Lead weights are stationary on the rim and cannot adapt to changes such as tread wear, variations in radial force and load force.

-Equal helps prevent alternate lug wear, "cupping" and "flat spotting". Even tread wear patterns mean substantially more miles per tire.

-Equal prevents vibration which greatly reduces "wear & tear" on the component parts of the wheel assembly, the entire truck and cargo.
Some pertinent reading materials:

IMI - EQUAL - FAQs

Powder Balance Compound - Syracuse, New York
Old 12-05-2010, 07:09 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The only problem I know of is, if you get a defective tire. I had this happen to me, I put on 6 new Goodyear G670's and had dynabeads installed.

Leaving right after that, we started a several thousand mile trip and the shaking got so bad that we had to pull into a Goodyear dealer on the road. Found that one of the front tires was out of round and had to be replaced. Was found easily when the wheel was installed on the spin balancer. It would shake his balancer.

This may be an isolated incident but a spin balance would have caught it from the start.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks to all for your replies. Here is a link for Magnum Tech Tips. I'll let you know how I make out.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:10 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I decided last year to have balancing beads installed in my tires. Excellent decision. Rolls as smooth as glass all the time,tires hot or cold.

I really like the Dynabeads. They are fairly large ceramic beads, so there is no worry about plugging the valve stem, or clumping with moisture. They do not damage the tire. You simply throw the package unopened into the tire during assembly onto the rim, and that's it!
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #7

I don't have any experience with beads, but I do with Equal. I replaced my steer tires with new Goodyear G670's. The dealer put in Equal, which is quite common as most Goodyear tire dealers don't have balancing equipment for 22.5" wheels. I had a terrible shimmy. The dealer said drive it awhile to get the Equal distributed. 100 miles later, still having the shimmy, I had the dealer remove the Equal. After removal it drove very smooth. Even without balancing.
I know, many people swear by this stuff, but not me.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #8

Appalachian Campers
No experience with truck tires but I have Dynabeads in my motorcycle. Slick as glass all the way through 150MPH (Done on a track.) and have been fine under all conditions so far.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:34 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is an email I rec'd from Magnum Plus. They appear to be "customer driven" and certainly a no lose opportunity.

Hi Dave,
Thank you for your email. Yes, the LTP200 is the correct size of Magnum Plus to use with your 245/70R19.5 tires. The main advantage of Magnum Plus is that the microbeads remain free-rolling inside the tire, and simply react to the outward force created by the heavy spot on the tire, by moving in the opposite direction (courtesy of Isaac Newton - Every force creates an equal and opposite force) and neutralizing the imbalance. In this way your motorhome tires will remain perfectly balanced throughout the life of the tires.

A spin balance will certainly balance your tires, but because it is a fixed weight balance your tires should be rebalanced at regular intervals. Also, if you happen to go off the road and get mud in your tires, the balance point will change - with Magnum Plus the microbeads simply adjust to a new position in the tires and keep giving you a smooth ride.

If you decide to go ahead with Magnum Plus, your dealer would just place the inner packet of Magnum Plus inside each tire and complete the installation. We recommend using the valve core that we supply, and the valve cap indicates the presence of Magnum Plus in your tires.

Finally, we do know that Magnum Plus has been working particularly well in motorhome tires, but if for any reason you were unhappy with the results, we would reimburse your dealer with the cost of the Magnum Plus packets he used.

Please feel free to contact us again, if you still have any questions.

With best regards,

Ian Savidge,
Marketing Manager.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:49 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I just installed 6 245x75x22.5 Sumitomo's on my gasser with Magnum+ beads. So far smooth as glass.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:35 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
I am a 35 yrs on the road truckdriver. These beads or whatever they try in these tires is a joke. When they put new steer tires on my truck I demand they leave these beads or I call it sand, out of my tires. I have never ever seen it really work. I sure don't want it in my motorhome tires for sure. Spin balance is the only way. I don't care what the cost is. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gee Dale.. That's kind of strong don't you think?

My position is this: The spin balance the tires are in balance when you turn the key in the ignition, and they remain in balance as you accelerate up to speed.

The beads, the tires are WAY OUT OF BALANCE when you turn said key, and eventually as you come up to speed the balance improves.

Thus.. I fully agree with Dale.. Spin 'em and weight 'em

There is one other thing.... Spin balancing balances the tire in TWO dimensions.. I do not think Dyna Beads or powder or liquid methods can do that.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
On my car tires I have had a conversion or 2 with the Discount Tire guys about removing the weights before that re-balance my tires. They say, "Not necessary". I say that the tire changes as it wears and therefore the amount of weight and position change. I had to prove it marking the weight locations and recording the weight I removed. I then had them re-balance the tire. Needless I was right. So, I remove all the weights before I have my tires re-balanced.

I have mounted and balance many a tire in my day, both on and off the car, and can say that weights work but they are not for ever.

This my first experience with beads and I will say that I don't feel any vibration in the steering wheel that I did with the tires I took off that were going on 7 years old. Also, I would suspect that the beads are at the balance point by the time you get to road speed.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #14

I had a different experience at Discount Tire. I recently had my tires rotated and rebalanced. They spun the tire and if it was out of balance they removed the weights before rebalancing. I watched them. I agree with you on being necessary.