Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2011, 08:49 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
10 oz is what the bags of Equal weight that we put in the trucks tires at work. The weight sounds right but the steel shot makes me nervous.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2011, 09:25 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
If you support the wheel and remove the valve core from the stem, can you fill the tire that way or is the shot too big?
Old 07-30-2011, 07:01 PM   #31

I'd like to see someone get a golf ball down the valve stem!
Z714X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
I use the "soft air 6mm pellets" that are hard plastic. these can be picked up at walmart. THey are quite cheap.
I even use them on my 32-11.50 tires on my Jeep, as do many of my friends on thier Jeeps .
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post

What happens if you blow a tire? Hope I'm not close!!
It may be their first ever, Hole in One !!

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:29 AM   #34

Back when I hauled produce from southern California to New York city(1973), there was no way to balance a truck tire. There wasn't any radial tire or air ride suspension for that matter. We had to let the pressure down to ride better and drive slower during the heat of the day and run fast at night. Then some body figured out to put a 50/50 mix of water and anti freeze in each tire and it worked great. I still use this method today. We also use this same tech to balance off road tires that gets abused on rocks with the tread lugs getting torn off and the liquid still balances out regardless. I personally don't see the need for projectiles to be inside of a tire. Weight is weight whether it is liquid or solid. And besides, anti freeze is inside every radiator hose in the world, and they're made of rubber also. They used to make a solution in a bag to put inside the tire when installing on the rim(anti freeze and water)it was advertised it would make a tire last longer. I was called Tire-Life and sold long ago. Then "Budd" style wheels were invented, Radial tires, Balancing tech for commercial trucks, better suspensions, air ride, and even shocks. The company went out of buisness.
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:22 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Years ago when I was growing up on a farm. Dad put water in the large tractor tires for better traction when plowing etc. They did not turn any where as fast as an RV tire but I can see how this method would balance a tire.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #36

Send a message via MSN to smoker
I was just asking about new tires for my dsdp, from a tire dealer and asked if they could balance them, and he said that they used bb's to balance them, and I had heard of this before, using bb's to balance truck tires,, don't know how good they work, but seems like it's the comimg thing..
smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:47 AM   #37

I just wonder if any of these balance methods are approved by the tire makers, and what effect they would have on a tires warrenty? Or in the event a tire blows causes and accident and an insueing lawsuit. I think telling a jury about a home brew of golf balls, BB's, lead shot all mixed in antifreeze would be interesting to say the least . Just a thought, but hay what do I know.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #38

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is immaterial to me what people throw in to their tires to balance them---some of these things sound strange---golf balls?---why not baseballs, but it certainly would invalidate any warranty-----Equal is an approved substance that does the same thing basically, how sucessfully I have no idea. I see mixed opinions so sometimes yes sometimes no----I guess.

I just have this sense that if a tire cannot be balanced by spinning in a qualified shop then it is fundamentally defective tire---I would want another tire-------or to get someone else to balance it for me.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires