Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2010, 07:34 PM   #1

Banks

We are looking at putting Banks on our 2001 four winds horizon to help with the power and gas. Any comments?
Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2010, 07:50 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
We are looking at putting Banks on our 2001 four winds horizon to help with the power and gas. Any comments?

more power?

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It will probably do more for hill climbing than anything else. Don't expect much in the mpg department.

Ford V10 or GM 8.1L?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:18 PM   #4

Rosemary I installed the Banks system on my 2000 ford v10 and did notice some improvement in performance but not much if any in fuel improvement. Best thing is it runs cooler and I dont have the dreaded manfold stud breakage problem. Is it worth the price--proably not. Would I do it again--proably. I have never been accused of being smart
Happyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:16 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The banks will help on the mid range torque for hills and general driving. It will not help on the gas mileage any appreciable amount. To get more power out, it takes more fuel... You generally will not more power with less fuel unless it is really poorly tuned to start with.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:15 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a 2003 pace arrow 8.1 gm on a workhorse chassis. I just replaced the air intake with a banks and noticed a difference in performance. Not so much in mpg. Best thing to do for mpg ? Use cruise control, no lead foot, stay out of the mountains.
You can find a cheaper price on the air intake using google. I got it for $40.00 less than anywhere else I checked and had free shipping.
bldr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:41 AM   #7
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
Have you considered UlraPower? It is a reprogramming of your ECM for substantially less cost than what Banks charges for their system(s) and in my opinion a much better choice. These people can tell you everything you need to know about having UltraPower done to your MH.
Brazel's RV Centralia Washington
Oemy's Web Site -
Redlands Truck*&*RV Performance Center

We had it done to our MH at the 2007 IRV2 Rally in Branson, Mo and have been very pleased. We noticed an immediate increase in power from the start. Our gas mileage went from 7.5 to 8-8.5 after approximately 2-2500 miles.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had a Banks system complete put on my 2000 Pace Arrow Ford V10. It only took Camping World a little over three weeks to complete the job and after three fist fights we agreed on a final price for the job. If you have it installed GET A FINAL PRICE BEFORE THEY TOUCH YOUR COACH AND A GUARANTEE AS TO THE LENGTH OF TIME THEY WILL KEEP YOUR COACH ON THE RACK.
IMHO the Banks aint worth the dollars. I could have taken the four grand and put it in gas money and it would have taken me fifteen years to burn the extra cost of the Banks. I saw very little MPG increase and the Power increase was better than a sail on top of the coach.
FYI. We travel about seven months out of the year so we ''put some pavement'' under the coach. She aint a ''yard bird''..... we are showing 110,000 on the clock now ......... Ten cents for this valuable info and you can pay me the next time you see me........

Thank a Veteran for your freedom. It was earned with a Gun and a Man brave enough to earn it for you.....
God Bless Our Troops.
... G B O T .......... (i would like to see every one use this at the ends of their posts) JUST DO IT GUYS .........
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:48 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I did the ultrapower tuner on my v10 and have been very pleased.
No Banks here, yet.
Brazels recommends ultrapower along with the Banks hardwware.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #10

Thank you one and all. We are going with the Banks system. We got the full package called the power pack. Gave them 10% down and they said we can wait till May, when we plan on leaving, to have it installed. Was on sale..
Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #11

I just talked with a gasser owner who did Banks, and reprogramming, and is now a 1- 1/2 mpg...

May as well drill a hole in the gas tank?

time to move up to a diesel. Throwing more fuel into a gas engine doesnt accomplish much except frying the cylinders. The gassers inherent problem is low compression and theres no way around it. Engine efficiency is about high compression and proper tuning.
davecampbell is offline   Reply With Quote