Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Banks installer

I picked up a full Banks Power kit for my 5.9 12v over the holidays and have been waiting for better weather to do the install. Well... the weather is here now and I went down to the coach today to survey the installation. After looking good and hard, when it came down to it, discretion became the better part of valor. Between a lousy back and eyes that don't work quit so well any more, it just ain't gonna happen. I'm not going to be able to squeeze my aging body down in the hole to do the install

So I'm looking for a dealer, or mechanic, or shop or whatever up here in northern Utah that does Banks installs. I'm in Logan, almost to the Idaho border, but would be willing to travel to Ogden or even Salt Lake if necessary.

I've heard (and read in these pages) wonderful things about Charlie's in Clearfield and I called them today but they're closed on Saturdays. I'll give them another call on Monday but in the meantime has anybody out there ran into a shop up this way they can recommend? We're heading out next month and I would really, really like to have that bad boy installed, I could use the extra power on this trip.

Thanks much,

Tom
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know if you have a Camping ,World near you, but when we had ours installed they
Did it.
Diane98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane98 View Post
I don't know if you have a Camping ,World near you, but when we had ours installed they
Did it.
That's a *very* good idea, hadn't even thought about Camping World. I do have one just south of us 50 or 60 miles. Their website says they're open on Sunday and they do Banks installs. Not sure if they'll like the idea of me bringing my own parts (no markup for them) but I'll be giving them a call manana!

Since you mentioned them I assume you were pleased with their work? And if I may ask, was it a full Banks you had installed and about what did they sting you for the job?

thanks much, do appreciate it!
Old 06-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We purchased our Banks Power System directly from Banks and they under cut the price from Camping World. They also told us what the flat rate time is for them to install it at their shop in California and gave us an engineering contact for our local shop to use if they needed it.

Our class A has the Ford 460 V8 and flat rate hours were 8.5 - the local shop we use (All American Diesel and Tire) works on MH's as well as trucks. They did the work at a discounted price of $75 per hour (normal rate is $90 per hour).

FYI - While there are many places on the Internet that sell Banks systems, there are very few actual authorized resellers of the Banks system. The Banks warranty is only good on products purchased directly from Banks or one of their authorized resellers.

BTW - You'll love the extra power and torque the Banks system will provide as well as how much cooler and quieter it will be!
Old 06-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPICoaster View Post
We purchased our Banks Power System directly from Banks and they under cut the price from Camping World. They also told us what the flat rate time is for them to install it at their shop in California and gave us an engineering contact for our local shop to use if they needed it.

FYI - While there are many places on the Internet that sell Banks systems, there are very few actual authorized resellers of the Banks system. The Banks warranty is only good on products purchased directly from Banks or one of their authorized resellers.

BTW - You'll love the extra power and torque the Banks system will provide as well as how much cooler and quieter it will be!
I bought mine directly from Banks as well, during their xmas sale. Got the whole kit, including the Twin Ram for something like $1,350 delivered to my door. Next closest price I could find on the net was around $1,850/$1,900 PLUS shipping. So I should be good to go on the warranty. And checking the Camping World website they specifically list Banks as one of the products they install. So you would think they are "authorized" and they have the system down pat.

As for the extra power, man I hope so. At not much more than 190hp at the tire and pushing 30k lbs fully loaded, I sure could use it. I love the simplicity and dependability of the old 5.9, IMHO one of the best engines ever designed - period, but when I'm full of fuel, water and food and towing it's pretty rough. Long gradual 2 or 3 percent grades that go on for miles just kill me. Add a headwind and forgetaboutit. I'm in 3rd doing 25 to keep the EGT's in line.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I did it myself on our ISC about 6 years ago. Made a BIG difference too.

Personally I would take it almost anyplace but CW! We had them install a 2500W inverter in our 2000 DSDP. Thought they would know how ti install it, but they didn't.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I did it myself on our ISC about 6 years ago. Made a BIG difference too.

Personally I would take it almost anyplace but CW! We had them install a 2500W inverter in our 2000 DSDP. Thought they would know how ti install it, but they didn't.
OUCH! Didn't want to hear that. Sure hope it wasn't the CW in Kaysville, Utah

I'll ask CW when I call, but if they specifically list Banks on their service and sales list it kind of leads me to believe they are an "authorized" dealer/installer. And checking Banks' website they claim all "authorized" dealers have had advanced training straight from Banks, blah blah blah. I know this doesn't guarantee anything, but at some point you have to trust someone on things you simply cannot do yourself.

Thanks for the heads up though, I'll be cautious
Old 06-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
FYI - The warranty issue is for the parts which are covered by Banks thus the reason for purchasing the parts from Banks or a Banks authorized reseller (which includes Camping World).

Installation can be done by anyone, and as long as you use a reputable shop you'll be fine. Banks will work with the shop, free of charge, to assist them with an installation.

Reading the forums here, you'll see people's experience with the installation service at Camping World varies greatly.

We went up the Raton Pass into Colorado last summer, fully loaded and with a car on a dolly - I'm sure the Banks system was the reason we went over the top at 45 mph versus rolling backwards back to Raton!

While the Raton Pass is listed as being a 3 percent grade, that is just the determined value when using the calculation based on a specific distance and the altitude change. In reality, the pass isn't a constant 3% up hill drive but rather a series of hills and valleys. Towards the top of the pass it is considerably more than a 3 percent climb.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I bought my system from Banks, they gave me the name of an installer in my area. If you are in doubt, give them a call. Installation was not cheap - cost me more than the equipment.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoon View Post
When I bought my system from Banks, they gave me the name of an installer in my area. If you are in doubt, give them a call. Installation was not cheap - cost me more than the equipment.
Boy Howdy installation ain't cheap! Been getting estimates the last couple of days, called CW first, $1850 and they couldn't get to it till end of next month. Yikes! Then called Banks and they gave me the name of the nearest "authorized" installer. He's 50 miles away and wanted $1,350. Better, but still steep. I finally found a local shop, the owner of which used to install a lot of Banks equipment and is very familiar with my kit. He quoted $1,200 and can get to it within a few days.

He's running a pretty successful shop and I've checked him out, no negs from anyone I talked to, so I guess that's where I'm going. He's close which helps in logistics, plus I try to support local businesses when I can anyhow.

BTW, for anyone else contemplating this installation, Banks flat rate for installing a full Powerpack is 15.5 hrs. I think someone mentioned 8 hrs back somewhere in this thread, maybe that's for a Stinger or on a gasser or something, but the full kit on a DP is a two day job.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just a word of caution for anyone contemplating using Camping World to do a Banks installation...I had them install one on my '88 Itasca and they really screwed it up. I was constantly going back because of things they did wrong. On my next coach, I went directly to the Banks Factory in SoCal. They did a superb job and the system worked perfectly.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardbark View Post
BTW, for anyone else contemplating this installation, Banks flat rate for installing a full Powerpack is 15.5 hrs. I think someone mentioned 8 hrs back somewhere in this thread, maybe that's for a Stinger or on a gasser or something, but the full kit on a DP is a two day job.
I installed the one on our DSDP myself, and yes, I can see two days to do it. Took me a couple weeks but I worked a full time job so time was limited plus the original wiring loom was bad and they had to send a new one. The new turbo housing had the wrog end connection on it and the old turbo end was warped. Had to surface sand it flat. Then there was drilling the exhaust manifold for the EGT. Not much clearance so I had to borrow a 90° angle drill from a friend, the first one had too small a chuck so I had to go back and borrow his other one the next day.
Not a hard job, but time consuming to figure out how to run the EGT and boost gauge wires to the front and mount them in the dash on a DP.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote