Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #1

Banks Power pack finally installed - WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!

Well, I just wanted to give everyone a before and after comparison of the Banks Power Pack and Transcommander install on a 460 motor, based on my personal experience. I had heard lots of good and bad things about this kit. For the 460 it seemed like most everyone liked it (not so positive for the V10 engines). Anyways, I made the jump and purchased the entire kit. I had it installed last week by the Gale Banks Company.
The installation went pretty smooth for the installer. The one thing I was worried about was broken manifold bolts. However, luckily there were none. What I did notice when I looked at my old cast iron exhaust manifolds was that both sides had 2 to 3 inch long cracks on the inside of the manifolds between every port (something I couldn’t see before). The installer said I was lucky that they were not completely cracked through or it would have burnt the plugs. I was also a little surprised and annoyed that the all inclusive kit did not include enough pipe to fit a 37’ MH. I was charged an extra $227 for a 3 foot piece of stainless pipe. I feel that the kit should include that, but what can you do.
Also, the installation technician was having trouble installing the cold air intake lid and K&N filter. He didn’t think it was possible to install it and recommended that I just leave it off. I knew I was not going to do that, so I agreed to work on it myself. (The technician did take an hour of labor off for that.)
Anyways, I knew I wouldn’t be happy without part of the kit installed, so on Saturday I tackled the install job and was able to get the intake lid, filter and cold air intake tube all mounted up. I also removed the heat shield over the exhaust tip as it hid the beautiful Banks chrome tip and there was nothing above this shield to protect from heat.
Now on to the good part, the testing. I noticed on my drive around town that the MH has a HUGE increase in power. I found myself actually racing the cars in the next lane out of the lights (something I never did before). I wasn’t even using all the power and the MH was beating everyone across the intersection. The looks on peoples face when the MH moved that fast was priceless. Now, I know that is not how I should be driving and I won’t do it in the future, but I was just excited to try it out.
I also took the MH on the freeway and was just as impressed. On some mountainous roads around my house I had noted before the Banks kit that the MH would downshift to 3rd on almost every hill and drop down to about 45 - 50mph or less. On one hill I would drop down to 40mph. After the installation, the MH didn’t even shift out of 4th on most hills. The one hill that almost maxed the MH out in 3rd at 40 mph, I was able to actually accelerate up the hill past semi trucks and I crested the hill at 65mph. An incredible improvement!!
The final indication of the improved power was in the normal freeway cruising. I use to cruise the MH between 55 and 58 mph. That was where it was comfortable at. I could go faster, but I had to work the engine to consciously do it. After the Banks kit, I was just cruising along like normal and noticed I was going over 70 mph. I had to make a conscious effort to SLOW down. The MH just seemed to want to effortlessly run at 70 or above. What an AMAZING difference!!
My final thought is that anyone thinking of doing this install on a 460, do it if have the chance. You will not be disappointed. As for the fuel savings, that will be hard to guess as it is just so much more fun to drive the MH!!!!! Thanks from a happy Banks customer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #2

What are the pros & cons for a Ford V-10...is it worth the high cost and the "pay back" in fuel savings???? I have an '06 Tiffin Allegro 32 BA.
UCBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #3

I installed the Banks Power Kit on my 98 Winnebago 2 years ago and like you was impressed with the improvement in power. Didn't see that much of n improvement in my gas mileage but when towing my jeep I have more than enough power to climb the Colorado mtn passes.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The kits say that they may not include everything you need. Why put in enough pieces for a 37' rig (and charge everyone for the extra's) and have leftovers when on a 33' one?

Even on our ISC the improvement is huge. One hill I used to start at 60 and crest in 4th at 50 and WOT I now crest still in 6th at 60 and on cruise control.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Even on our ISC the improvement is huge. One hill I used to start at 60 and crest in 4th at 50 and WOT I now crest still in 6th at 60 and on cruise control.
I sure hope all these Banks success stories are true. Dropped my 36' HR Endeavor DP off at the shop yesterday for a full Banks PowerPack install.

My poor little 5.9B 12v went in at 170hp (at the wheel) and *maybe* 500ft of torque, which falls like a rock soon as you crack the throttle. She should come back with something in the neighborhood of 260hp and pushing 625ft of that all-important torque! And persistent torque at that.

Pretty soon I'll be running with all you C, L and X big dogs!

Well OK, maybe not the X's but still...
Old 07-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
My installation is scheduled for later this month at the Banks shop in Azusa, CA

I purchased an Orphan unit for my ISC 350 that comes with the Ottomind logic controller. They requested that they will need to check the Ottomind BEFORE installation begins to make sure it is not defective.

I guess there have been some failures of these controllers and that's why Banks does not support the kit any longer.

Which begs the question; what can you do if that happens? That will be one of my questions when I take the Ottomind in for its inspection and testing.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
I have a complete in the box (Yes new never installed spare full power pac system) for a 1999 vintage Cummins isc 8.3l 330. I am interested in this thread and have plans to sell the unit after researching exactly what I have and getting pictures of the stuff in the box. Will try to update this thread when we get home in a couple weeks. I know there are parts that cannot be replaced and want to help this group but I am not interested in parting it out but selling the complete kit so far. The people we bought the coach from had the spare components kit for appx +$1,000.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Motorhomes are known for cracking exhaust manifolds no way to get air circulated around them. You should also notice reduced engine heat.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #9

Had to make a command decision on my Vortec 454 7.1L when the exhaust manifolds cracked and leaking. Put in the powerpak and zooom!!! Now to figure on how to stop it:

Why don't you put it in?

Steve
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #10

[QUOTE=Mr_D;1626492]The kits say that they may not include everything you need. Why put in enough pieces for a 37' rig (and charge everyone for the extra's) and have leftovers when on a 33' one?QUOTE]

I agree that including extra pieces would be a waste for Banks. However, when I schedule an installation at the Banks shop and tell them the size/length of my MH, I would expect that they would tell me then that I would need an extra part. I just don't like being surprised when I'm ready to pay the bill with an extra $227 part. I would think they would warn you about that earlier.

But, that is behind me now. I REALLY like this kit and wouldn't change a thing now that I have it. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I am interested in the results on new installs. So joining the thread for DP
Thanks
Old 07-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the Banks on my rig and just love the power. The engine just breaths so much better.
toadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #13

I am running the Bank IQ power pack on my 2007 Gulfstream 5.9 300 hp Cummins FRED chassis and could not be happier with the performance and all the extra gauges to keep an eye on things.

It also does diagnostics and clears codes.

Ted.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardbark View Post
I sure hope all these Banks success stories are true. Dropped my 36' HR Endeavor DP off at the shop yesterday for a full Banks PowerPack install
Well, I picked up the my coach this afternoon after a full PowerPack Banks install and headed straight to my test hill outside of town. This hill used to kick my butt, long gradual climb with no chance of getting a running start. In the past I would be at 25/30 in 3rd and running hot by the time I got to the top. Today I crested the bugger at 55mph in 5th. I'm pretty sure I could have probably pushed it just a bit and held 6th at 60+ if I had wanted to. And this was in 90 degree, breezy conditions!

It also seemed to run a little cooler. Now this might be because I'm not on the hill for very long, it races up the mountain now, or maybe what they say is really true, you can get all this extra power without extra egt's.

I don't know, but the difference in drivability is amazing.

Another difference I noticed right off was my shift points had changed. Did the MD3060 World have the capacity to "learn" back in 1996? It took a few miles to figure out where the new torque curve was, I'm wondering if the trans will eventually figure out how to smooth the shifts over time.

Regardless, although it's a damn pricey bugger by the time all is said and done, the Banks kits really do make an incredible difference.

Tags
power