Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2011, 12:54 AM   #1

Banks Power Sys. Ford 460 cid

Is there any one familiar with Banks upgrade for the Ford 460 cid engine.
We ahve a HMC H345T coach and would like to get better mileage. I saw the system advertized at a RV shop and was just wondering.
Thanks RB
RBoutwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2011, 06:33 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBoutwell View Post
We ahve a HMC H345T coach and would like to get better mileage. I saw the system advertized at a RV shop and was just wondering.
Thanks RB
I have the Banks system on my 96 Damon 460cid you will get more power but no increase in gas mileage. Just about everyone says they had no increase in mileage. I'm not sure of how much more power you get as my mh came with the system so what it was like before the system was added I just dont know. I question if I would have spent the money to have one installed. (maybe) They say it adds some 64 hp on but I find that hard to believe (again maybe) Good luck on your decision...
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:42 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
more power and better mileage are pretty much mutually exclusive. Power requires more fuel. If you use the power, you will burn more fuel. If you don't use the power, why pay for it.

the math just doesn't work very well. It's like replacing a pickup truck that is paid for and gets 15 mpg with a camry that gets 30 mpg but has a $400 a month payment.
Just to cover the new car's payment, you can drive the pickup 1500 miles a month!

If your mileage actually does go up 10%... and you start at 6 mpg.
At $4/gl, your fuel costs per 1000 miles will go from 666.66 to 606.06, a $60 savings.

If that banks kit costs $3000, you hit your payback point when you have saved POINT SIX mpg for FIFTY THOUSAND MILES!

Banks is for increasing power. If it gives you enough power to increase your enjoyment of the RV $3k worth, by all means go for it.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I had the full Banks kit on the 96 Southwind 36' we used to have. Worked good as far as power and better shifting, but I don't think I saved any on fuel. Got 7-8 mpg, mostly right around 7.3. However, I never ran the rig without the Banks, so can't be sure. Maybe it would have been 6 .3 mpg without it?

As JimM68 points out, the cost of the Banks exceeds any possible fuel savings, so buy it for performance rather than fuel savings.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I had the full Banks kit on the 96 Southwind 36' we used to have. Worked good as far as power and better shifting, but I don't think I saved any on fuel. Got 7-8 mpg, mostly right around 7.3. However, I never ran the rig without the Banks, so can't be sure. Maybe it would have been 6 .3 mpg without it?

As JimM68 points out, the cost of the Banks exceeds any possible fuel savings, so buy it for performance rather than fuel savings.
X3 for both Jim and Gary
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Had one on a '98 Santara, more power, quieter in the cockpit, no noticeable increase in fuel mileage.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks RB
I have the 460 in an F350 Crew Cab Dually. It will pass anything but a gas station. 7mpg.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:39 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed the full Banks kit on my 2004 Dolphin, 8.1 workhorse. very noticible power increase. excellent torque. No increase in MPG. You can't have both! Banks is designed to add power. I feel it is well worth the money. I didn't buy a MH to provide economy.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Had one on a '98 Santara, more power, quieter in the cockpit, no noticeable increase in fuel mileage.
I also put one on our DSDP w Cummins ISC 350, again great increase in power but no noticeable change in fuel mileage.
As someone else said, I didn't put them on for mileage increase but for more power.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks RB
For $3,000+ in upgrade costs I might consider putting that money toward a newer MH with perhaps the V-10 and a slide. I was under the impression the V-10 does a little better in mileage/power than the 460?

Chris
HoRotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post

I may have your old coach! I have the exact same coach, with the Banks system, and it came from Florida! I get about 8 mpg most of the time. It had around 80-84 thousand on it when I got it. Bought it from a dealer in Gainesville,Ga. The drivers side windsheild wiper had a broken arm. In the process of putting a new roof on it right now.
Hillbilly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
As many have said, we had a very noticable increase in power, but nothing noticable in gas mileage. We installed it after we cracked a head because of warped stock exhaust manifolds, a common problem in motorhome applications. If I had to do it over again, it would have gone on before the cracked head, but sometimes we learn slower than we might like. I liked the system so well, I would not have another gas rig without it. If you do it do the trans-command module for the E4OD tranny at the same time. It will save your tranny.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine used to feel like it hesitated when accelerating from a stop, it almost bogged down when accelerating. Night and day difference since the Banks kit installed. The gas mileage is almost the same as before, no noticeable difference.
Don't do it for the mileage, do it for the improved reliability and performance.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:58 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Banks System

I had a 1998 Dolphin 33' with the Ford 460. added the full Banks Powerpack w/Trans Command and increased my power so much that I could pull up a slight grade in cruise control. Before the Banks, I was pedal to the metal to even go up a shallow grade! Engine ran cooler and quieter, which means extended engine life. No better MPG! If you plan to keep the HMC for several years, I think the addition of the Banks will pay off in increased performance and longer engine life. I just sold it after owning it for 5 years and 27,000 miles with NO engine problems.

I think it was $3400 well spent! I have the Workhorse 8.1ltr W-24 chassis with the Allison 2000 Tranny and don't think I will add the Banks to it. It has dual exhaust already, and I have plenty of power.

JMHO

Happy Trail!

Darryl
desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, power