Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2017, 02:38 PM   #15

Sorry have been tied up with work for a while. Finally got around to reading through the posts referencing the start capacitor. Will order a couple. Also have fried wire on the one relay is burned as well.

Before I installed the new thermostat I experimented a bit. Discovered the wiring diagrams and clipped the orange wire which is the second stage compressor. Have been running it single stage for a while with no blown fuses or unexpected shut downs. Not as cold as 2 stage but it works and confirmed it's just a second stage issue.

Thanks for all the information.
IDTag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2017, 06:17 AM   #16

Replacing the burnt wire and start caps may solve your issues. The outside blower will shut off when the unit tries to start the 2nd compressor. Keeps from overloading input power when starting #2 compressor. As I mentioned before my #2 compressor would attempt to start, blower shutdown, blower starts up again and cycle repeats. Only bad parts on mine were the start caps.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:31 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
When you look into getting these units repaired they are really household units and should be worked on by a household A/C tech.

There is a member here that has extensive PDFs on removing it from under the coach to be worked on but I can't seem to find my bookmarks.

It was my understanding that replacement compressors aren't available and the whole unit has to be replaced. I could be wrong but if they replaced with the wrong equipment that could explain the state of the electrical.

You also have to use a compatible or exact thermostat. again had info on that too and it is sadly gone.

Also running it at all with the external blower not working will cook what is left of your system.
As far as the thermostat is concerned There is a guy named John Canfield who has replaced his basement air thermostat with an Ecobee smart thermostat. He is at RVforum.net He is on the winnebago forum. Also you should not let that second compressor keep trying to start it is hard on the compressor. I would just take wires off the circuit boad that turns on the second compressor then you would not have to worry about turning it down slowly.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ChevelleSS View Post
First turn off the circuit breaker for compressor #2. The unit will run fine on compressor #1 only, been there done that. Then go to Amazon and order 2 SUPCO SPP6 hard start caps and replace the old fried ones. With the correct fuse for the blower that should get you back in business. Had the same issue as you with compressor #2 trying to start and kicking in and out. The new start caps fixed that.

You were lucky.. My #2 just hums and draws locked rotor amps..
I replaced both start/run capacitor and added the SPP6 on both circuit #1 and #2 but #2 still doesn't work.. Extraction/testing will be next.

I've ohmed out both compressor and they're very similar so i'm thinking that mine is locked up.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:14 AM   #19

This is our issue
rescue1042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 06:52 PM   #20

Quite often the root cause of basement unit problems is dirty or stopped up evaporator coil fins.
It might be worthwhile to pull your unit and give it a complete servicing. Here is how: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...zBiZTYxYzU5ZWQ
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote