RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #1

Basement AC not working well

I have a 37 Holiday Rambler with Basement AC. It does not cool. the fan comes on but that is all.
holiday37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2018, 01:44 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by holiday37 View Post
I have a 37 Holiday Rambler with Basement AC. It does not cool. the fan comes on but that is all.
The basement air units are best repaired by a residential air conditioning service company. It is essentially the same as a mobile home self contained AC unit. The unit may have to be removed or some repairs can be made while it's in place. The relays and capacitors can be accessed through a small panel on the outside of the unit. Parts and replacement units are still available.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:29 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I would take Lt. Dan's advice!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:15 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In addition to the advice given, don't continue to use it thinking a little air is better than none, you may make a moderate repair bill one that's hard to swallow.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Well Sir, (assuming you are male)

We'd need a bit more info for a more accurate answer. For instance, you say you hear the fan come on but, do you not feel or potentially hear either of the compressors? Does the heat pump side of the system work? Has the A/C worked in the past? Did this problem just start? A little history might help here.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:15 PM   #6

It worked a month ago on the generator. I did check the incoming volts from the land and we were at 117. I could not hear the compressors kicking in. The thermostat is a little confusing but to get to the back AC I have to toggle back and forth from 1 & 2 on the same thermostat. Does this confuse the system? I also herd that the system can be re-set?
holiday37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:45 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
It worked a month ago on the generator. I did check the incoming volts from the land and we were at 117. I could not hear the compressors kicking in. The thermostat is a little confusing but to get to the back AC I have to toggle back and forth from 1 & 2 on the same thermostat. Does this confuse the system? I also herd that the system can be re-set?
That could be the problem. There is a built in delay in some systems to protect the compressor from starting under load. If you are switching off and on, then it could be confusing the thermostat. I did find a service manual from when we had a basement air in our Itasca, so I hope this helps. I also have a step by step procedure on how to remove the unit from the coach, but it's too large to post here. PM me if you want it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AirXCel 6535 Service Manual.pdf (935.4 KB, 38 views)
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:42 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Basement A/C works fine on shore power but not Generator

I have a Coleman basement air in my 2004 Itasca Suncruiser. Both compressors work fine on shore power but only #1 will kick on when on generator power. I can hear the 2nd one try to kick on. The Amps surge up in the high 20's or 30's and settles back around 15. While on shore power the 2nd one will kick on as it should and my amps run around 21 or 22. With just the 1st on on it does not cool well at all. With the second one on it cools fine. Newbie here. Im stumped. Any help would be appriciated.

p.s. I have receipts from original owner where one of the pumps were replaced. Not sure if it was #1 or #2.
ArmyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:49 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
ArmyDave, my first (and only) thought is to check the wiring from the generator, looking for a loose connection.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:26 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like you might have a weak capacitor on the second compressor. The service manual shows the value at 30uf at 370 volts. I would purchase one at an HVAC supply house. You need a 30uf cap at 370 volts or higher - so they should have one in stock. Cost should be less than $20. The capacitor helps the compressor motor start and when it is running. If it were mine, I would buy 2 caps and replace both keeping the existing ones as spares - capacitor failure is the most likely cause of units not starting if there is a sudden failure - on your RV or home AC. Male sure you have all power off when you replace the caps
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:09 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm a newbie but trying to do as much as I can on my own.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:38 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Just to rule it out check for any tripped breaker in your electric panel.
2005 National Dolphin 6376LX, W-24, 8.1 Vortec, 2100 Allison MH 5 speed, Safe T Plus, Toyo tires, TireSafeGuard TPMS, 2019 Equinox 1.5L, Blue OX Aventa LX tow bar, Roadmaster EZ5 baseplate, SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:54 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Basement A/C Coleman Mach 2 ton

Thanks to everyone for all the help. Here's where I am now. I have replaced all the capacitors with new ones. The unit starts and cycles as it should. My amps jump up in the 20"s upon start up but settle back down to 12 when running. I have checked the temps and i"m between 15 and 17 degrees difference from intake to output. I have checked the generator out put and is is right on 120 volts. I am in Arkansas and the outside temp right now feels like 102 degrees. The coach is cooling off nicely. Just wandering why my amps are not in the 20 range? Could it be the new capacitors? Thanks.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:16 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Basement AC not working well

The 12 amp while running is correct based on mine will run at 12 on line one and maybe 11-12 on line two. They all peak at start up that is normal because it's staring. Is both compressors running on the generator now? I forget did you check the breakers at the generator?
2005 National Dolphin 6376LX, W-24, 8.1 Vortec, 2100 Allison MH 5 speed, Safe T Plus, Toyo tires, TireSafeGuard TPMS, 2019 Equinox 1.5L, Blue OX Aventa LX tow bar, Roadmaster EZ5 baseplate, SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote