RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2020, 12:23 PM   #1

Basement air trouble

On my 2004 Journey, I have an RVP 6537 heat pump, which just last week stopped turning on the second compressor while cooling. I searched the forums and replacing the start and run capacitors seemed to be a common fix for other issues, so changed both sets out just because I could and they were cheap and easy to get at. No change. Bottom line is that both compressors run while in heat mode, but only#1 in cooling mode. I've also just noticed after moving wires and having the sun off of the control board, there's a red light lit for outdoor blower low that is illuminated. Anyone have a recommendation on the next trouble shooting tip? Thanks in advance!

Edit: I just observed that when turning on heat mode, the diode for low was on until the second compressor started, at which time it toggled to hi. Maybe this is just an indicator lamp set and not a failure lamp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RVP control board.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	306818  
Out N About is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2020, 12:38 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a link to a manual that has troubleshooting steps.
http://www.rvcomfort.com/pdf_documen...408_copy10.pdf
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 12:38 PM   #3

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/rvp/6...38heatpump.pdf

Page 26. Hopes this helps
Old 11-03-2020, 04:22 PM   #4

Thanks, guys. I was able to figure out how to remove the Coleman-Mach thermostat cover. Checking between plug 2, pins 4(12v dc) to 5 & 6 solved my problem. I pick up 13v on pin 5 when I turn on the unit, then move my lead from 5 to 6 and wait for the click at 20 seconds. The thermostat is not supplying voltage to the orange wire, therefore the basement control panel never sees the call for the second compressor to fire up. Looks like I'm going to have to find a replacement thermostat. Thanks again!
Old 11-03-2020, 05:09 PM   #5

Done! Well I was shopping for a new thermostat and saw a posting regarding resetting a thermostat.... so I gave it a try. I unplugged P1 supplying the 12v to the t-stat, waited five minutes, and voila! 2 tons of ac at my disposal. Thanks again to all. Now I have a decent manual, understand the system better, and saved a bunch by not bringing it in for service.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:41 PM   #6

Final results. The reset didn't last a day. Didn't see the t-stat model number when removing the face plate, so I got the replacement model number from Airexcel (RVProducts). The original had both a 9 pin cube and 3 pin strip molex connector. The replacement came with a 4 pin straight molex due to an added orange wire (for two stage gas heat) which was not required. Found the model number of the old unit on the back side of the base. Using a molex pin removal tool, I placed the original connector on the new unit to complete the repair. Now it works perfectly and has the added feature of a temporarily back-lit lcd display for easy reading, which is almost worth the cost of the replacement by itself. I no longer need to shine my cell phone light on the display at night to see what's on the display.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:46 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
That's great you found the problem and reported back. I loved the basement air in our Itasca because it was so quiet. I wish they still installed them in new coaches.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out N About View Post
Final results. The reset didn't last a day. Didn't see the t-stat model number when removing the face plate, so I got the replacement model number from Airexcel (RVProducts). The original had both a 9 pin cube and 3 pin strip molex connector. The replacement came with a 4 pin straight molex due to an added orange wire (for two stage gas heat) which was not required. Found the model number of the old unit on the back side of the base. Using a molex pin removal tool, I placed the original connector on the new unit to complete the repair. Now it works perfectly and has the added feature of a temporarily back-lit lcd display for easy reading, which is almost worth the cost of the replacement by itself. I no longer need to shine my cell phone light on the display at night to see what's on the display.
Any chance you have the model# of new 'stat handy, I'd like it please. Mine is old and allows a 5į temperature variation before triggering the unit on, which makes DW unhappyl
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:52 PM   #9

The -335 was the original unit and the-344 is the replacement.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:54 PM   #10

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0980.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	365.6 KB
ID:	310072Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0981.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	366.2 KB
ID:	310073
Old 12-02-2020, 09:37 PM   #11

Mine is older, perhaps the 1st 'stat W used. See mine here on pg 7.
If I have to modify the 'stat wiring I'll jump to a new WiFi model like this: https://www.janeandjohn.org/pages/Ecobee1.html

Man, the 344 price differences on the internet is staggering. Winnebagoparts.com lists $159.40; PDXwholesale.com lists $87.32
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 12-02-2020, 11:31 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
That's great you found the problem and reported back. I loved the basement air in our Itasca because it was so quiet. I wish they still installed them in new coaches.

I hadnít heard anyone say they loved their basement air. We had a Itasca Horizon for 11 years and had nothing but trouble with our basement air. Never got cool enough especially in high humidity areas, went thru a couple compressors etc. It was quiet but donít think itís used anymore that Iíve seen. Ourí17 Landmark 5W 3 ACís arenít quiet but I can get to 70ís in Tucson when it 112 outside in the summer. Newer ACís Ď18-Ď21 are much much quieter as products advance!
We did love our Horizon though!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldelevatorman View Post
I hadn’t heard anyone say they loved their basement air. We had a Itasca Horizon for 11 years and had nothing but trouble with our basement air. Never got cool enough especially in high humidity areas, went thru a couple compressors etc. It was quiet but don’t think it’s used anymore that I’ve seen. Our’17 Landmark 5W 3 AC’s aren’t quiet but I can get to 70’s in Tucson when it 112 outside in the summer. Newer AC’s ‘18-‘21 are much much quieter as products advance!
We did love our Horizon though!
We do love our basement heat pump! When we learned how to use it we spent 2 weeks in Aug. in Las Vegas and were comfortable in our MH.
Many owners do not use the correct air filter, they only use the green screen type. This allows dirt/dust to mat on the condenser coils, which greatly reduces air flow and cooling ability. I use Filtrete allergy air filters, yes it must be replaced about every 2 weeks in hot weather, otherwise it reduces air flow beyond design limits due to the amount of dirt and dust it holds.
FWIW our6535 unit is all original, never been worked on.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:08 AM   #14

Ray, in an odd coincidence, the truth table for my new t-stat shows that in gas heat mode, the 2nd stage heat call goes active at 5 degrees below the set point, placing 12 v on the orange wire (which I don't have a need for with a single stage heater). Your t-stat operation would not be well tolerated here, as well. I have to say that I'm intrigued by the ecobee, but it's too late now for me. Safe travels!

Tags
air