Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2022, 09:57 AM   #1

Question Basement storage load rating

This past year I lost kidney function and now need to be on dialysis. In order to travel in our 2010 Holiday Rambler Endeavor we need to carry about 1,000 pounds of dialysis fluid. I have phoned several RV dealerships and have not received any information. We want to know if the floor of the rear pass through basement storage would be able to take this weight - consists of 42 boxes that are 12 x 12. Does anyone have an answer or suggestions? We would love to get back to travelling
Albert3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2022, 01:20 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Underneath my Monaco Windsor there is a steel grid structure under the coach and the floor of each of my pass through are metal.

We have a slide mounted in one of the pass through, which in itself weighs ~+100 lbs. I have a large tool cabinet mounted on the passenger side, it probably weighs 200 lbs. Also carry a 50 ft extension cord and power transformer on the other end, weighing ~100 lbs, a BBQ grill in the center along with some lawn chairs. I know all of this weighs in excess of 500 lbs. Not a bit of problem with the weight.
The fuel tank is mounted in the compartment in front of the one above. I have 128 gallon plus the weight of the tank itself, well over 1000 lbs.

If you have decent structure under the compartment you should be OK but you also have a piece of 3/4" plywood cut to fit and drop it in place, this would help distribute the load.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 02:14 PM   #3

Hello, and sorry to hear about your kidney. You say you have 42 12"x12" boxes. Well it seems to me you can put them in multiple storage bays to distribute the load. My question is. Is the fluid sensitive to temperature. Like your bays may be heated (if you run the coach heater) to keep them from freezing, but dose the fluid need to be kept below a temperature. Just asking, as I know nothing about this stuff. Also does your coach have the cargo carrying capacity to hand the 1000lbs plus everything else you carry. Every coach has a limit. Happy RVing. Hope all works out well for you.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:16 AM   #4

I met a couple in a Florida campground who were in your situation and they had their fluid shipped to them from Canada and seemed ok with that arrangement. It is more complicated of course if you are not camped in the same campground for a period of time.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 11:04 AM   #5

It may be determined that the compartment has the structural ability to carry 1000 lbs but we have no way of knowing whether the gvwr or the rear gawr of the coach would be exceeded. I'd think it's possible the added weight might even cause some handling problems on the highway.

My opinion, the OP needs to come back at us with some numbers to get a better idea of what he's looking at.
Old 01-29-2022, 02:32 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Do your storage bays have roll-out trays? If so, you need to consider their weight rating. Also consider the GVWR on your MH.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 03:15 PM   #7
OCM

The bottom of my DP (2000 Damon UltraSport) is plastic, so I placed 1/2" plywood in the bottom to even the load out. It keeps the tool box and other heavy items from putting undue stress on the center of the bay.
OCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 03:31 PM   #8

If the storage bays have a plastic bottom they will not support much weight
rxvrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 03:33 PM   #9

Spread the weight around in different compartments. 1000 pounds is a lot in any one area.
hclark6345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 03:48 PM   #10

basement storage load

Thank you to everyone for their replies. The advice concerning the fluids is that they should not freeze but may be subjected to temperatures ranging from 35 - 95 degrees F Thought that perhaps placing them in coolers with either hot or cold bags would be best choice but that concentrates the weight. We have a MorStor cargo tray in one area and are thinking of another in the other pass thru bay. Under the each bay there is what looks like 1/4" by 6" sheet of metal going the width of the motorhome and there are 4 angle iron pieces that run the length of the motorhome. We will figure this out and post our eventual solution. God bless RVers and their caring and giving natures
Albert3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage