RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2020, 05:41 PM   #1

Bathroom flood

Dumped, and flushed my black tanks(2) today. Front tank was fine. As I was flushing the rear tank water started leaking through the water bay onto the ground. I checked the hose connection but it was fine, finished the flush, walked inside to find water pouring out of the rear bath area. It was all over the floor, everything in the cupboard under the sink was soaked, small plastic bins under there had a couple inches of water in them, wife was very impressed.
We have been full time with this rig for 4 years, I flush the tanks about once a week, procedure was the same this time as all the others. I time it when I run the flush water, no longer this time than any other.
I went up on the roof and looked at the vent, it looks the same as it always did, roof was dry. Everything under the sink was soaked so I couldn't see where it came from. Under the sink was the normal sink plumbing, plus a 2 inch PVC stack with a vent cap, and a brass fitting that I think is called a vacuum break with a Pex line on each end.
The only way that I can see to diagnose it is to run the flush again, and create another flood. I'm not real excited about that plan,(neither is my wife), so I was hoping someone had other ideas. Also could someone explain the vacuum break to me?
Thank you for any suggestions.
partskenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2020, 05:51 PM   #2

Mine leaked also, but I was lucky and caught it right away......I did away with it and about 12' of hose and installed a brass double flap house backflow valve....been working fine for 5 years now.....got it at Home Depot...
Old 09-25-2020, 07:06 PM   #3

It is an anti-siphon vacuum breaker installed on black tank flush line.
When water supply is tuned on water enters thru bottom and lifts a disc that closes off the Air Inlets under the top cap and then water flows thru side line to nozzle in tank
When water is turned off disc drops down and air comes in breaking any vacuum/siphoning effect and allows water in line to take drain back into tank

If water pressure is too low (below 40#) or too high (above 65#) the disc can NOT set properly/cockeyed and close off the air inlets...flood occurs
Sometimes even with correct water pressure the disc does close properly...same affect -- flood

Brass ones are better then the cheap plastic ones...but all can fail

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:44 PM   #4

Thank you both for the suggestion and the explanation. Replacing that valve seems like my best option.
partskenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by partskenn View Post
Thank you both for the suggestion and the explanation. Replacing that valve seems like my best option.
RV MFGs are required to install those valves
Owners are NOT under same requirements
MANY have removed them....1/2" PVC elbow and straight nipple
NO More flooded bathrooms

Cross contamination.......
That is tough one to justify
Valve is installed at minimum 2' above TOP of black tank
Black tank would have to be overfilled ---water level above area were valve is in order to possibly backflow
Course water supply hose would still have to be connected---water supply hose bibb would have to be on and water supply OFF for ANY black tank water to backflow

Possible......sure *perfect storm
Probable ...highly unlikely

Better chance of flooding inside of RV

Done flushing....turn off water and disconnect the hose
If really concerned just install a vacuum breaker on end of your tank flush hose

Simple....
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:09 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Before you replace, have one of you watching it, while the other opens the water spigot quickly. Sometimes thats all it takes.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:31 PM   #7

A friend of mine had the same thing happen, he left water run to long before opening dump valve, filled holding tank and flooded bathroom via toilet.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:13 PM   #8

I use a brass shut off right at the hose connection to the trailer.....so I can stay seated.....lol