Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2020, 12:03 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Batter jump starter for cat 350 c7 engine

Howdy all,
Hopefully someone can help me out. I need to buy a jump starter that can start my RV when the batteries are dead after being in storage. I hope to find a lithium batter type of jump starter. I have one for my toad but its too small to jump the beast. I have a Cat 350 Turbo C-7 engine (7.2L). Any suggestions?
Old Grape is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2020, 04:29 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
For my part, as the jump start unit would have to be so big, I would look at charging the batteries first. Can you jump start the generator, let that charge the house batteries well enough to use the boost switch to start the Cat?

Could also take the batteries out and charge them? Or charge them there in storage if you have access to power.

I would not know where to go to get the jump starter you are looking for; “bootstrap” capability like I described first is provided in these RVs for just this situation.

Let us know how it works out, or if this is not clear.

Mike
Old 05-25-2020, 04:34 AM   #3

You are killing your batteries letting them die in storage. Its one of the worst things for them.

Remove a cable from them, while stored and stop killing them and you won't need a jumper pack.

You can add a shut off switch for less then a good jumper pack.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:27 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You are killing your batteries letting them die in storage. Its one of the worst things for them.

Remove a cable from them, while stored and stop killing them and you won't need a jumper pack.

You can add a shut off switch for less then a good jumper pack.
Thanks. I have a cut off switch but they still drain down over several months.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:33 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean n Mike View Post
For my part, as the jump start unit would have to be so big, I would look at charging the batteries first. Can you jump start the generator, let that charge the house batteries well enough to use the boost switch to start the Cat?

Could also take the batteries out and charge them? Or charge them there in storage if you have access to power.

I would not know where to go to get the jump starter you are looking for; “bootstrap” capability like I described first is provided in these RVs for just this situation.

Let us know how it works out, or if this is not clear.

Mike
Mike they have those lithium battery jump start packs now that pack a pretty big punch. Getting the right one with enough juice is the key. That's why I'm asking. Here is an example on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082ZZ2W14...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 05-25-2020, 08:41 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Nice! I had figured that the cost of something that has this much capability would be much more expensive. I do agree that your batteries are going to suffer from being run down to this extent. A good battery maintainer or a small solar system might work if that bothers you.

Thanks for the information!!

Mike
Old 05-25-2020, 10:19 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
OP, you have to disconnect the battery cables to totally isolate your batteries... turning the switch off doesn’t disconnect everything.

These new jump packs are pretty amazing but based on the size of the cables they are not going to hack it. Might be able to leave one connected for several minutes before trying to start. I have 00 welding cable jumpers for my diesel PU and a really dead battery takes several minutes of charging before it will crank just a dead single battery.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:25 AM   #8

Most jump boxes tell what size engine they will start.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:41 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Old Grape".....This is akin to putting air in your tire everyday, rather than fixing the puncture. As stated, you have battery drain if you're just shutting off the switches. If your batteries are fully charged when you park it, they should stay pretty close to that if you disconnect a cable, even for a couple of months.

You need to replace the two batteries and install a battery cable switch or remove the cable. The price you'll pay for two batteries will be close to the price of a good jump starter, but buying the batteries eliminates the issue versus a continual aggravation and hoping the jump starter works.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:43 PM   #10

Millions of boats are stored for 6 months or more with the batteries in them, but disconnected.

The little switchs don't disconnect everything.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:39 PM   #11

We have a Noco GB 150 and it saved the day when my batteries puked.
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:31 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgolden View Post
We have a Noco GB 150 and it saved the day when my batteries puked.
Best I can tell you may have PU truck. If so, big difference than a 7.2L Diesel engine.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:39 PM   #13

Batteries continue to discharge when the switch is open for a number of reasons. One is dirty batteries. They discharge directly from post to post across the dirt. Another is that the battery bank doesn't contain the exact same spec of battery, or they are not all equally healthy. They will attempt to equalize their charges and draw each other down. There can also be parasitic draws from leaky switches and appliances in "standby."

Those are just some reasons to pull the battery cables.

The other thing is that if you know three months is longer than they'll go without maintenance, then the best response is to visit the rig more often.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:18 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
All thanks for the replies. I will look into installing a cable disconnect switch when I can get back to the states. Sounds like a good idea. Stuck in the Philippines at present due to lock down. Also the link I posted about the Lithium type jump starter is supposedly good up to an 8.0L diesel engine. My Cat 350 is rated at 7.2L so guess that will work. The specs on the Noco GB 150 that "wolfgolden" posted about says it is good up to a 12L diesel engine (Cat C12 engine or about 430hp). The link to it is below. Guess it's always good to have a little extra capacity.

https://www.batterymart.com/p-gb150-...BoClOMQAvD_BwE

Tags
cat, engine, starter