Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2013, 10:44 PM   #1

batteries 12 or 6

I need to replace the house batteries in our MH and am looking for advice, is it best to go with 2 of the 12 volt batteries or 4 of the 6 volts ? and what is the best brand to use?
LDP243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2013, 11:15 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Most end up going with 6 volt Trojan 105's. Costco, Sam's Club, Walmart etc carry them or you could see about ordering them online. Check amp hours and sizes. Double check so that you can see what you can fit in the battery box.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:01 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
X-2 on the 6 volts. Lots more amps available when running is a series. Good point on room to mount six vs. two batteries!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The voltage itself isn't important, but you get the most bang for the buck with 6v golf cart batteries. Generally speaking, a pair of 6v golf cart batteries in series produces as much power as a pair of Group 29 or Group 30 12v deep cycles, but probably cost less. Golf cart batteries are produced in large volumes and are widely available, so prices are lower on a per amp-hour basis. 12v deep cycles, on the other hand, are a specialty item that tend to be very high priced. The so-called 12v Marine/RV deep cycles are priced ok, but they are no where near the quality & reliability of a golf cart battery.

For the golf cart batteries, brand name is not important. They all pretty much come from the same two battery manufacturers (regardless of the name on the outside) and both make excellent GC2 6v batteries.

If you want to stay with 12v, get Trojan flooded cell deep cycles or Trojan or Lifeline 12v AGM deep cycles.

By the way, you don't need 4 x 6v to equal 2x 12v, unless the 12v's are small ones. Just go by the amp hour ratings. When two batteries are connected in series, the AH capacity of the pair is unchanged, i.e. it is the same as one. But when two batteries are connected in parallel, the AH values are added together. 6V batteries typically have an AH rating about 2x a 12v for a similar physical size, so a pair of either one works out about the same.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
This past week I went through the process of replacing the three 12 volt house batteries with four six volt. Height of the battery box (drawer) opening was a problem. Interstates, NAPA and others measured height at about 11&1/2 to 11&7/8s. I found the Costco batteries to be 10@7/8's tall and they fix the tray very nicely. As a suggestion be sure to measure the tray size and opening height and compare to the battery size if you are installing them yourself.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDP243 View Post
I need to replace the house batteries in our MH and am looking for advice, is it best to go with 2 of the 12 volt batteries or 4 of the 6 volts ? and what is the best brand to use?
I went with Odyssey Group 31 AGMs for both chassis and House this way they are interchangeable and charging is stable across all the batteries.

Many don't consider this, the alternator charges all the batteries at the same time and if different they will not charge Properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003 (3).jpg
Views:	100
Size:	313.9 KB
ID:	35561  
Old 03-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #7

It would be wise to think twice before using 37's theories on house and chassis batteries needing to be the same.
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #8

I wouldn't consider using expensive hi-spec AGM batteries for starter batteries unless the rig was operating in extreme conditions. Not because the can't do the job, because they can, but because you are paying a lot of money for a battery that has a pretty easy life.
If you have the money to spare, then go for it.

Those batteries are rated for 400 cycles to 80% depth of discharge and that doesn't give enough info as to the service life to be expected at a more usual 40 to 50% depth of discharge.
As for charging, AGMs and conventional flooded batteries will generally coexist in a split charge system without causing each other problems.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Replace two mismatch 12V cells that wouldn't last a night off shore power with 6V GC2 Sam's Club was selling. Core charge was $15 per core so the new cells only cost me $64 and change each.

Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #10

two sixes in series becomes 12 volts. Don't forget that. As was noted, two 12s in parallel the voltage stays the same but the CCA is increased which is a way to get the CCA you need for the diesel without it being a 150 lb. 8 D battery. Two 12s much easier to handle.
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Replace two mismatch 12V cells that wouldn't last a night off shore power with 6V GC2 Sam's Club was selling. Core charge was $15 per core so the new cells only cost me $64 and change each.

That's a good price. I just paid $89.96 at Costco for golf car batteries.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
I wouldn't consider using expensive hi-spec AGM batteries for starter batteries unless the rig was operating in extreme conditions. Not because the can't do the job, because they can, but because you are paying a lot of money for a battery that has a pretty easy life.
If you have the money to spare, then go for it.

Those batteries are rated for 400 cycles to 80% depth of discharge and that doesn't give enough info as to the service life to be expected at a more usual 40 to 50% depth of discharge.
As for charging, AGMs and conventional flooded batteries will generally coexist in a split charge system without causing each other problems.
I Prefer the Sealed AGM batteries over flooded cell not just for the maintenance but for the corrosion or lack there of.

I had to pull my battery tray and have it sand blasted and re powdercoated, the rust was pretty bad, and there are stains in the clearcoat in front of the grill were battery acid had gotten on the paint, I don't know if a battery blew up on the previous owner.

I feel it is a good investment for my Coach and my piece of Mind.

I expect at 50% discharge the Cycles would near Double.

I also like the fact that I can rotate the batteries.

Ted.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:35 AM   #13

They now offer a "maintenance free" standard flooded battery. No caps for refilling etc. Not sure how good they are but will let you know. Have a couple on a boat where it is hard to get to, to refill and I didn't want to pay the price for the AGMs nor worry about different batteries in the aux. charging system.
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot View Post
They now offer a "maintenance free" standard flooded battery. No caps for refilling etc. Not sure how good they are but will let you know. Have a couple on a boat where it is hard to get to, to refill and I didn't want to pay the price for the AGMs nor worry about different batteries in the aux. charging system.
They still Gas and Corrode parts.

AGM are Truly Sealed and can be mounted UPside Down without issue.

Ted.

Tags
batteries