Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2016, 07:02 PM   #1

Batteries

During storage time how do you keep your batteries charged
Jaston47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2016, 08:29 PM   #2

As I am relatively new to Rving ...might not be the best source on this. But as a long time auto guy, I would say hit the 12v cut off switch and put a trickle charger on the engine battery and you should be fine.
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:00 PM   #3
Community Moderator

for outside storage, some go with a solar sys, either fixed or portable; some go there and run genset for a half hour. for indoor, plug in a float charger. at the worst case, take the batteries with you to charge them up periodically at home.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:55 AM   #4

I use a float charger when I have AC available... when I don't.... I disconnect the positive terminal and keep the top of the batteries dry... I've always been able to disconnect the batteries in the winter and have enough charge through the winter to prevent freezing and breaking of the case... in the spring I re-connect and give them a slow charge over 3 days or so...
Old 10-18-2016, 09:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaston47 View Post
During storage time how do you keep your batteries charged
Jaston47
For 20 Wisconsin winters my coach has been stored plugged into a 15A outlet via a 50 foot 12/3 extension cord, (through the appropriate electrical adapters)
The 3 stage battery charger in my inverter/charger has never failed to automatically maintain the charge in my batteries.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:47 PM   #6

I've used solar for years now on boats and cars and RVs. It is easy to set up and it works if there is any sun at all. (Michigan can go for weeks with none, but that is usually still enough.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:00 PM   #7

this is best for those that cant take them out which is no easy job

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Jaston47
For 20 Wisconsin winters my coach has been stored plugged into a 15A outlet via a 50 foot 12/3 extension cord, (through the appropriate electrical adapters)
The 3 stage battery charger in my inverter/charger has never failed to automatically maintain the charge in my batteries.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 10-18-2016, 07:43 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
By storage do you mean for several months over the winter, or between ~monthly trips?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
By storage do you mean for several months over the winter, or between ~monthly trips?
vsheetz
IMO a coach is "in storage", (aka: "being stored"), anytime it sits unattended.... not being driven/used/lived in.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:17 AM   #10

Thanks
Jaston47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:28 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Jaston47
Mel
'96 Safari
This is what I'm trying to do too... but convincing the guy at the storage facility that these RV charging systems are smart enough not to burn up his place is a challenge. The guy owns an RV too... but he doesn't permit people to leave them plugged in over the winter. Grrrrr.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries