Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2022, 12:08 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Batteries only charge using solar panel

Hi,
we are having charging issues with our 1998 Southwind Storm.
We bought it used (love our little MH) but the charging system has never worked as we think it should.

Our 1998 Southwind Storm house batteries only charge using the rooftop solar panel. The house batteries do not charge while driving. The house batteries also don't charge when plugged into shore power. The chassis battery charges while driving but not while plugged into shore power or while the generator is running. Neither house or chassis batteries charge while the generator is running.

it seems the only time our house batteries charge is when the sun is shining on the solar panel.

We seem to understand (but really know almost nothing about charging) that the converter should make sure the house and chassis batteries get charged while plugged into shore power and the inverter should make sure the house batteries get charged while driving.

None of that seems to be happening.

When parked in the sun our house batteries get charged with the solar panel.
While driving the chassis battery gets charged by the alternator.

We would test the inverter and converter if we had any idea where to look for them.

We've been in trouble 2x when we parked in the shade and ran out of electricity because the little solar panel was hidden from the sun

Is there someone who might be able to tell us where to look for the inverter and converter and what our problem might be?

thanks
Mark and Mary
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2022, 12:25 PM   #2

Sounds like everything is working except your house charger, you say you have a converter/charger or do you have an inverter/charger ? Not likely your inverter will charge the house batteries while you are driving unless you are set up with a battery isolator.
It's going to be important to post what kind of charger you have, but if it's a hardwired inverter then it's likely right next to your batteries with the largest cables from battery to the inverter. The inverter itself may have a blown fuse, there is often a big marine fuse in between but if that were blown, you would have no house power at all. Also check all the 12v car fuses in the main panel. Solar works because it's bypassing everything and goes right to the batteries...do you have a solar charge controller ? Maybe you have a converter and an inverter I dunno. That would be old school.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 01:28 PM   #3

Your MH is equipped with a RV Custom Products Battery Control Center (BCC). It is a black tin box, located close to the batteries. On the inside of the cover is a wiring print of the BCC. I suspect the battery isolator relay has failed. It is a known weakness. The circuit board in the BCC monitors both battery banks and closes the isolator relay when either battery bank reaches 13.3 volts and opens when either bank drops below 12.8 volts. The isolator relay also closes when you push the emergency start button, located on the dash.
As also stated, I suspect your converter (battery charger) is not charging the batteries. Could be a bad converter, bad fuses on the converter, tripped GFIC, tripped circuit breaker, or loose connection.

Trouble shooting guide..
https://www.irv2.com/forums/attachme...5&d=1461288485
Old 03-27-2022, 05:37 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you for offering help. We Cant find the Battery Control Box. There's no tin box near our batteries. We do have some electrical things near the batteries and i'm including pictures here. Also we have some electrical things under the refrigerator so i'm including those pictures here also. the pictures i have don't seem to upload. I'll look into what to do so you can see what we have in our MH

our manual says we have a converter but doesn't mention an inverter.

This is from our manual

Special deep-cycle, high capacity house batteries provide 12-
volt DC power. These batteries are not the chassis 12-volt
batteries. Power is also provided by a DC converter that
operates when the motor home main electrical cord is plugged
into 120-volt AC power source. The house batteries are
charged by the motor home engine alternator, the converter
when it is operating, or the generator (if equipped).
Old 03-27-2022, 09:09 PM   #5

Your BCC should be on the firewall in the engine compartment. Drivers side. At least that's where it was on both of our Southwinds. "98 and "03
Mnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:54 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi,
I've tried to upload photos on the app using my phone, here using the smallest photos i have and no luck. I've tried making a document and posting a pdf.. no luck. i'm getting that my file is too large. My pdf is less than 1mb and it seems the limit is 3 mbs. I also get the message that i'm not logged in.

i'll have to research how to upload photos then i'll show you what we've found on our firewall. The only box we found is plastic and has fuses and 4 relays on it. there's a mess of wires connected on the firewall

be back after i figure out how to post pictures
thanks
mary
Old 03-28-2022, 10:29 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
In the thread below, you'll find pictures of what a BCC would look like.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/loo...er-363179.html
Old 03-28-2022, 10:31 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok here are the pictures we have. The first 3 are what we find near the batteries on the fire wall. The last one is a flipped breaker under the fridge that we can't reset. Still can't find the converter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220327_172917.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	360564   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220327_172943.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	360565  

Name:	20220327_143341.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	398.7 KB
ID:	360566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220327-192603_Gallery.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	360567  

Lovin It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 10:45 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
One last picture if what we found on the firewall.
All and any help is VERY much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220327_143436.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	360568  
Old 03-28-2022, 10:56 AM   #10

If it is that charging relay, it kind of looks like the third picture at the top, behind the wire conduit. Might want to read the post here. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/b-i...ry-560067.html
Old 03-28-2022, 11:51 AM   #11

This box controls the charging/isolation solenoid. Follow the small red and blue wires to it.

The solenoids are know to fail.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220328-134955.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	360589
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 11:54 AM   #12

Here is the solenoid Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220328-135212.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	360590
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 12:30 PM   #13

Hi, great job on the pics. I tried hard to read that breaker - what is it for ? There should be no breaker behaving like that. Are you resetting and it's popping right away ? Or does it feel like it just will not close ? Breakers do go bad but if it's popping you have to chase that down. It's easy to work on the panel, and forgive me if you have experience. Pull shore power, turn off all the batteries, double check the panel is cold and then get the panel off and pull the breaker out. Maybe something is obvious wiring wise but you can take that breaker to home depot or whatever and they will have something that should fit...if needed. It's the physical fit that matters...if you do go that route grab some spares
Edit - next to the breakers pull that panel and the 12v car fuses are back there. Look for a blown one.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 02:25 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner

Going out to see what we can accomplish.

The breaker stays at half off and half on. Doesnt ever reset.. We'll try taking it out and replacing..
Any tips...tips... unplug first are always appreciated..
Xoxo
Mary and Mark

Tags
batteries, panel, solar, solar panel