Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2019, 05:29 AM   #1

Batteries overheated while plugged in

Hello, I have a 01 travel supreme and I am currently living in it so I installed a 50amp plug and keep it plugged in. My house batteries overheated well 1 of them overheated and I had to unplug them. After doing this I have no power for anything inside the coach. All the plugins work but nothing else no fridge, lights, fan nothing. I tried plugging in the other two batteries and still nothing.
Todd01suprem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2019, 06:02 AM   #2

Never saw batteries with plug ins, so not sure what you did, but if you have an inverter/charger, you will need at least one charged 12 volt battery connected to it for it to work.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:04 AM   #3

When you say you installed a 50 amp plug, are you referring to a new 50 amp service line with a double pole breaker from a service panel? Not sure about your level of knowledge about electrical wiring but need to verify proper voltage at L1, L2, Neutral, and ground. If so then, I’d start with the obvious and verify how the new service is wired and work my way to the inverter/charger. In order to get better input from users you can post more information on what voltages you have measured at critical points of your system.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:06 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Are the two batteries you are attempting to use 6V?
If so, do you have them wired in series to make 12 volts?
Old 09-29-2019, 12:26 PM   #5

When you said "other two batteries" I assume your house battery bank consists of 3, 12V batteries-all connected in parallel. You disconnected one, and left the remaining 2 connected-right???
After you have completed the tasks jthigh recommended, have all 3 batteries load-tested by Interstate Battery, they do not charge for this service normally.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:30 PM   #6

Sounds like your CONVERTER has failed.
It supplies DC System when plugged into AC Power AND Charges Batteries

Either battery shorted and caused overheating OR as I suspect that 2001 vintage converter overcharged...boiled the batteries and then has Failed

With AC Power ON and batteries 'disconnected' (POS Cable removed from post at battery)
the Converter should have a DC Output Volatge of 13.2V Minimum measured at the DC DIst Panel where battery cables connect.

Now it being a MH you may not have a 'converter'.....might have just an Inverter/Charger
IF So.......W/O battery connected you will NOT have any DC to the 'house'
Bad battery.....shorted/caused overheating OR 'charger' section of Inverter failed

IF no DC with different batteries properly installed then Battery POS Cable in-line fuse (or DC Circuit breaker) is BAD
With be on POS cable to house close to battery
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:29 PM   #7

Certain brands of converter/chargers are notorious for overcharging the batteries when constantly connected to shore power, however a bad battery can also cause overheating. Suggest having the batteries tested before you replace the converter. I've had good luck with the Progressive Dynamics models.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:15 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Please explain how you "unplugged" the batteries. I suspect Old Biscuit is close to the truth about why you have no power. Without 12vdc active, very little in an RV will function. Even most of the 120vac appliances require some 12v for the control circuits. Further, many of the 120v items are powered through the inverter, which is also the converter/charger for your RV.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:33 PM   #9

I had a similar experience. Our rv came with a new magnum inverter and the charge rate was set too high. I cooked two sets of batteries before figuring out this issue. The batteries were also not wired properly so the inverter was hooked solely to one battery thus overheating it with the extra charge rate.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jthigh View Post
When you say you installed a 50 amp plug, are you referring to a new 50 amp service line with a double pole breaker from a service panel? Not sure about your level of knowledge about electrical wiring but need to verify proper voltage at L1, L2, Neutral, and ground. If so then, I’d start with the obvious and verify how the new service is wired and work my way to the inverter/charger. In order to get better input from users you can post more information on what voltages you have measured at critical points of your system.
I installed a 50amp service line that I have been plugged in to for a year. I even started the generator today and unplugged from the service line and nothing works still
Old 09-30-2019, 10:18 PM   #11

No there 12v. I've never disconnected anything but when the one battery was overheated it was one of two connected together. There are 2 more that are also connected together but nothing running to them.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:14 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

So the overheated battery is still wired in? It's probably bad and has caused the inverter/converter/charger to shut down. You need to replace that battery and also the one it is wired too; that should resolve the problem. Get some professional help so nothing gets messed up.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:24 AM   #13

Send some phone pictures of the batteries, that may help us help you.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, heat