Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2018, 12:31 PM   #1

Battery charge connection

I have a 2014 Tiffin open road and the battery charge pin in the hitch plug has no power. Any ideas on what may be wrong? While working on this I found a red wire with nothing connected and hot all the time along with a black wire which is wired into the harness at the rear but has no power. Both of these wires come from the rear driver side.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
cassiesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2018, 01:49 PM   #2

Sounds like the black wire is a ground wire, check continuity first from that wire to chassis ground. The red wire sounds like the battery charge lead which probably needs to be connected to a switched 12 volt 20 amp source via a fuse or circuit breaker. That red lead may have not been connected since the receptacle was not used before. You can find wiring diagrams online that show which pin the charge lead connects to in the receptacle. Good luck with your wiring.
keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:09 PM   #3

I looked at some wiring for the receptacle and the white wire is shown as the ground connection, and the red wire as stop/turn wire. What wire gauges do you have? The white wire would be around a 10 gauge, red wire if for s/t would be 14 gauge. Try checking the voltage at your wiring with and without the key switch on, with your lights on and turnsignals working. This may be what you have. Sorry if I misled you in my previous posting.
keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by keger View Post
I looked at some wiring for the receptacle and the white wire is shown as the ground connection, and the red wire as stop/turn wire. What wire gauges do you have? The white wire would be around a 10 gauge, red wire if for s/t would be 14 gauge. Try checking the voltage at your wiring with and without the key switch on, with your lights on and turnsignals working. This may be what you have. Sorry if I misled you in my previous posting.

The plug wires are all correct and functioning properly except the battery charge . The red and black wires I was referring are not part of the plug, they are just hanging down in the rear.
Thanks
Old 07-23-2018, 02:50 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiesam View Post
I have a 2014 Tiffin open road and the battery charge pin in the hitch plug has no power. Any ideas on what may be wrong? While working on this I found a red wire with nothing connected and hot all the time along with a black wire which is wired into the harness at the rear but has no power. Both of these wires come from the rear driver side.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
On some of the chassis, the 12v pin in the trailer connection only has power when the ignition key is turned on.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:52 PM   #6

I tried that, still no power!
Thanks
Old 07-24-2018, 09:33 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I tried that, still no power!
Thanks
Try checking for a fuse in that charge line, it may be blown.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:39 AM   #8

Fuse

Do you have any idea where the fuse might be?
Old 07-25-2018, 09:30 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Do you have any idea where the fuse might be?
If the hitch wiring and charge line were factory you may find a fuse in one of the fuse blocks either at the rear of the coach or the front.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:09 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am looking for the same thing on a 2008 Tuscany. Everything thine else is hooked up. I am trying to find a place for a fuse. I found the light fuses 8n the driver rear compartment and the brake fuse in the drivers side forward compartment ahead of the front tire, now to find the charge line. I traced it forward ahead of the trans but loose it where it switched sides. I need to get in there to trace it not that easy anymore.
Flyndutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:56 PM   #11

Many manufacturers don't connect the charge line to the plug in the rear, but do run the wires front to back. I suspect that red wire may be your charge line. Do you have a schematic for the coach? If not, get one from Tiffin. You may also want to look for a fuse in the front for the charge line. If you find a fuse, pull the fuse and recheck that red wire.

I just went through this with my Newmar. Wires were run but not connected. Connected in the front and then in the rear and all is well.

I don't think anything is actually wrong, the system is just likely not connected. Also, get the pinout for the plug. If I recall, the power is on the 1 o'clock pin and the ground is opposite.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:14 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Typically, the fuse is left out until the owner decides they want to use the charge line. This prevents unnecessary shorting of that wire. As stated, you need to find a fuse block. I don't know what chassis you have, but you need o check all of your bays. Often you'll find a black box, about 4"x 6" that has clips on it. Inside those boxes are often chassis fuses and circuit breakers.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery