Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2022, 08:30 PM   #1

Battery charger on house batteries?

Hello, I have a 1k Entegra cornerstone & I am trying to figure out how to keep the batteries charged up. When I hook the RV up to a normal 110 outlet the fuse pops in less then a minute usually. The coach has 8 6v house batteries wired in series/parallel.

Is it possible to hook up a car charger to the batteries somehow? My hope is this will allow the batteries to remain charged when parked at home.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2022, 08:46 PM   #2

Your 120 Vac circuit has fuses? Don't you mean Circuit Breaker (CB)? What value is it?

How long was your RV sitting without shore power? OR, was the alternator light flashing on the dash as you drove?

Yes to connecting a standard car battery charger/starter, if you have a big battery charger, capable of 20 amps or 50 amps charging. A little float charger isn't really enough probably. Be sure hook it up AFTER measuring the voltage on the banks of 6 V batts. Connect a voltmeter across them so you're measuring 12 volts and if they are under 10.5, they are dead so they need water and a strong charger. You would just connect it to wherever you read 12 volts or so. All those batteries would end up with PLUS and NEG in the same place and are series wired to make those 6 V batts into a 12 V bank.

If your batts are okay, reading 11.5 Vdc or greater on your meter, then you need to check your Converter. If it's bad, it can blow the CB.

Finally, if your outlet is on a CGFI, they can pop when connected to an RV.

I should mention that the alternator should have charged up the batteries to full as you drove, which would mean the converter wouldn't draw much at all...as long as you plugged in as soon as you got home.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 08:57 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Your inverter / charger(s) will have a method of limiting the amps your charger can consume. Usually you can throttle them right back to only 5 amps AC.

Hopefully someone with your model coach will see this thread and give you instructions how this is accomplished.
Old 09-26-2022, 09:20 PM   #4

Do you have other 120 volt things running as well? Refrigerator, water heater, air conditioners, etc? To throw a circuit breaker by itself would mean the converter is trying to put out well over 150 amps of 12 volt current. Is your converter really that large? Also, as noted above, make sure you are not plugged into a gfci, or you may have to open some of the other circuit breakers in the rv to keep from tripping it.
TomBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:18 AM   #5

When I limit the charging on mine to 5 Amps to both chargers they both definitely pull more than 5 amps.

I have used two chargers, one for each bank and it has worked great.
Old 09-28-2022, 08:48 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would trip all the breaker on the coach panel except for the converter/changer and try the basic 120VAC 20AMP service again. Using a car charger is an option just not the most practical way as compared to using the installed capabilities.

Best way forward would be to have a 30 or 50AMP service for the RV which would solve the GFCI or breaker trip problem.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYARRR View Post
When I limit the charging on mine to 5 Amps to both chargers they both definitely pull more than 5 amps.

That is 5 amps of 120 VAC.

Are you saying that it pulls more than 5 amps of 120 VAC when set to the 5 amp setting?

Yes, its charge rate (amps) at 14 or so VDC will be more-- close to 50 amps.

Said another way 5 amp setting is plenty to keep up your house battery bank.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
Hello, I have a 1k Entegra cornerstone & I am trying to figure out how to keep the batteries charged up. When I hook the RV up to a normal 110 outlet the fuse pops in less then a minute usually. The coach has 8 6v house batteries wired in series/parallel.

Is it possible to hook up a car charger to the batteries somehow? My hope is this will allow the batteries to remain charged when parked at home.
A portable high quality charger would work fine to keep house batteries charged. Some portable chargers have crude voltage control. You would need one that provides 13.2 volts long term.

A two stage charger that starts off a 13.6 or even 14.4 would charge faster if the batteries needed charging. However, the charger would need to drop back to 13.6 after a few hours and would work even better to drop back to 13.2 volts for long term storage.

Many modern chargers do drop voltage automatically. There are a few cheap ones that don't. Constant 14 volt chargers should be supervised and disconnected after a few hours.

See "Storing Lead Acid Batteries.PDF".
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Storing Lead Acid Batteries.pdf (101.5 KB, 8 views)
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:57 AM   #9

I'll bet that your actually tripping a GFCI outlet or breaker when you plug in.

It doesn't trip right away due to the surge protection delay, which may actually cause the trip.

GFCIs trip for current leaks, not overload.

Try a different outlet, not GFCI protected.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 08:46 PM   #10

Well, ended up getting the wiring fixed in my garage so I have a 50a service I plug the RV into, I never had to try the charger
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 11:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I'll bet that your actually tripping a GFCI outlet or breaker when you plug in.

It doesn't trip right away due to the surge protection delay, which may actually cause the trip.

GFCIs trip for current leaks, not overload.

Try a different outlet, not GFCI protected.
A gfci certainly is for sensing current leaks but will trip for overloads also.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 12:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
A gfci certainly is for sensing current leaks but will trip for overloads also.
A GFCI *outlet* is not an overcurrent protection device. It will not open the circuit in the event of a current overload.

Combination GFCI/circuit breakers offer both kinds of protection.
Old 10-16-2022, 12:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post

Mine goes into bulk charging when batteries are low and it will draw around 14 amp. You could use a big amp charger to build them up.
Old 10-17-2022, 08:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
A GFCI *outlet* is not an overcurrent protection device. It will not open the circuit in the event of a current overload.

Combination GFCI/circuit breakers offer both kinds of protection.
If you allow me to explain my simple comment about ground fault plugs, I will tell you that if you put several plugs downstream from that ground fault and overload the downstream plugs with high amp devices, it will or can overload the gfci and cause it to trip. I never said to use it instead of a breaker. Lol’s.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, battery, charger, house batteries