Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2021, 06:54 AM   #1

Battery conversion

My coach has four lead acid 6-volt house batteries that need constant attention. Is it possible to us two 12-volt AGM connected in parallel to replace those four?
advachiel6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2021, 06:57 AM   #2

Certainly.

You could replace with either two 12 VDC AGM batteries in parallel or two 6 VDC AGM batteries in series like you have now.

But it is easier to find deep cycle 6 VDC batteries than 12 VDC ones.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:28 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Absolutely!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:41 AM   #4

You can replace with any number of 12 volt AGM batteries. You can replace with "even" numbers of 6 volt batteries.

The magic number is in amp hours. If you use all the amp hours (or 50% of amp hours) in your current battery bank regularly, then you need at least that many amp hours in the replacement battery bank.

A large inverter will need a lot of deep draw amp hour capacity. AGM's generally work better than flooded cells for high discharge and charging rates.

Some on-board battery chargers use various kinds of "conditioning" cycles. You should disable the conditioning cycles for use with most AGM batteries. See battery manufactures recommendations. Some Life Line brand AGM batteries can use the conditioning cycles. My charger does not use conditioning cycles.

There may be an "AGM" setting in your charge control panel.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by advachiel6 View Post
My coach has four lead acid 6-volt house batteries that need constant attention. Is it possible to us two 12-volt AGM connected in parallel to replace those four?
There is no magic that 2 battys will equal 4. You can use 4 12V in parallel to equal 4 6V in series / parallel.
4 12V GP 31 AGMs will provide roughly the same AH as 4 - 6V GC AGMs. Im a fan of Sams Club Duracell battys made by East Penn and consider them a best buy.
EAST Penn has confirmed that when considering AGMs that the different plate design of FLA GC (deep cycle) vs GP31 (starting) do not apply and their AGM work equally well for deep cycle and starting. You will notice they spec both AH and CCA for AGM but not FLA.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 05:14 AM   #6

Everything about my battery tray was trashed when I got my motor home. Except for the starting and house batteries being in the same tray I had a blank slate. The most time consuming part was maximizing starting current and amp hours for the tray size and different battery group sizes. Parallel or series-parallel, as long as you have 12v output from each bank it doesn't matter how you get there.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:17 AM   #7

How often are you having to add water to to GC2 batteries. Check how warm they get through charge cycle. Are you in very dry hot climate. Possibly they are being over charged this would be even more detrimental to AMG batteries. I'm a firm believer the 6v GC batteries AMG or LA will out last 12v deep cycle up to twice or more.
Owners have had luck by adding mineral oil to acid batteries.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 05:56 PM   #8

As already noted, your 6V GC batteries are not being treated properly if they require constant attention. We spend the winter off grid with 4 Sam's Club 6V GC batteries and only need to water them twice a year. You could be over charging them, over watering them or depleting them below 50%. Set water level 1/2 way between the plates and the bottom of the slots. At that water level and charging properly, you will not get acid build up on the connections. We get 6 years out of our budget minded batteries. So if you change to AGMs then you really need to check your charging system and proper usage.

Richard
Old 06-29-2021, 10:22 AM   #9

Thanks to all who replied. I will do some more research before I decide.
advachiel6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, conversion