Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2021, 03:31 PM   #1

Battery dead? Battery system

Okay, nelly newby here. First ever motorhome 2000 damon daybreak 3270. Purchased a month ago. Drove to campground and plugged into 30 amp. 7 days later started motor to make sure it's still running. Next 7th day started fine. Next 7th day only clicking. Next 7th day just dead all together. Some reason i thought when plugged up it would keep it charged. Rv sales said to leave on battery connect. Battery disconnect/battery connect must be tripped because it will not stay on either way i flip it. Help
thumbs up is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2021, 04:03 PM   #2

A lot of motorhomes do not charge the chassis battery from shore power the way they come from the factory. To do so, you need a "Trickle-L- Start" or better yet an "Amp-L-Start". These will transfer charge from a charged house battery while plugged into shore power that will keep the chassis battery charged. For now, you should have a "Boost" switch on your panel. Hold it down and try to start your engine. You might have to put a charge into your chassis battery from a charger to get it to run.

FWIW, I never turn the battery disconnect off.

Here: http://www.lslproducts.net/ALS_Overview_Page.html
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:18 PM   #3

As said above, many motor homes are configured where only the house batteries are charged when plugged into shore power. The solution for this problem that I use is a Xantrex Echo Charger. Here is an illustration that I made that shows how my motor home is configured and where the echo charger is connected.

andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:19 PM   #4

Like Crasher stated, there are some rigs that aren't set up to charge the chassis battery from the built in converter/charging system. Ours is like that so I have to use a stand alone charger when parked for more than a couple of weeks.

I always see Trickle-L- Start and Amp-L-Start mentioned but I'm not sure what the advantage is to using them versus a stand alone charger/maintainer.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Like Crasher stated, there are some rigs that aren't set up to charge the chassis battery from the built in converter/charging system. Ours is like that so I have to use a stand alone charger when parked for more than a couple of weeks.

I always see Trickle-L- Start and Amp-L-Start mentioned but I'm not sure what the advantage is to using them versus a stand alone charger/maintainer.
The advantage is that the Amp-L-Start is an automatic 15 amp smart charger that only transfers charge when needed. No need for a stand alone charger and it never forgets.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:08 PM   #6

I will get a Amp-L-Start and a battery checker. This is embarrassing but I do not know where the house batteries are. They did not show me during the walk thru. Once the battery is replaced or charged will the battery disconnect/connect button start working again? Thanks for all this senior member help.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:48 PM   #7

where are my house batteries
Old 07-12-2021, 07:17 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
I'm not familiar with that particular coach, but the house batteries on most coaches are either in a basement compartment or in the entry step. If it's the entry step, there is usually a removable piece of carpet or no carpet on the step. Once the carpet, if there, is set aside there are usually a couple of screws towards the back of the step.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:39 AM   #9

Thank you, I bet they are under the step because it wiggles.

Tags
battery