Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2014, 07:13 AM   #1

Battery disconnect light stays on

2000 Coachmen Mirada battery disconnect light stays on no mater what position switch is pushed, home or use. Relay clicks so I assume switch is working just faulty light circuit board. Would like confirmation from forum member who may have had similar issue. Als if need where best to find the new part.
Narflack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2014, 09:06 AM   #2

I also had some problems with shut down, slides no power, chassis batteries not charging, fog lights aux start not working sometimes like gremlins in the electric system. A previously owner had put a battery charger and a heavy duty disconnect on chassis side. I replaced the PC board last week and fixed everything. If you track the battery cables you should end up at the BCC Battery Control Center were the PC board should be and with careful inspection of any burnt spots on the back of the board replace. Fleetwood did not have my original board and they had a upgraded board.
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflack View Post
2000 Coachmen Mirada battery disconnect light stays on no mater what position switch is pushed, home or use. Relay clicks so I assume switch is working just faulty light circuit board. Would like confirmation from forum member who may have had similar issue. Als if need where best to find the new part.
My disconnect light would stay on like yours too. I have a charge line to the toad and as long as it was hooked up the disconnect switch would say on, regardless of its position. A diode in the charge line was all that was needed.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two questions and reasons for asking:

1: ARE YOU CONNECTED TO SHORE POWER? If so light should be on, See note.

2: How long are you waiting for it to go out? (Can take a bit)

You (And for that matter I when the rig was new) Likely think the light means "Batteries connected" it does not.. It means "12 volts present on house system" now that 12 volts may come from the batteries or from the converter... Or from another source (Alternator) but the light simply means Power present.

Some converters contain filters if there is not a lot of load it may take them several seconds to discharge below threshold for that light.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:28 AM   #5

Not connected to shore power and light stays on after being disconnected for a day or more.

I will check the PC board today.

Was manually charging chassis battery yesterday and it got hot. Maybe an issue with it not sure it got to 12v I am going to have it tested today.

This was my stepdads coach and I am working thru several issues to get it ready to sell. Working on Oman 4000 generator today that starts then dies, has new carb so trying to decide what next fuel pump seems to work because fuel comes out of disconnected line when cranking. Maybe bad filter cut it looks to be a bear to get to and replace. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:41 AM   #6

I have a 2000 Coachmen Santara and the light stays on on mine until I unplug shore power.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:50 AM   #7

Shore power is unplugged and still stays on. Chassis battery was fried so I replaced it but didn't make a difference.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:42 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF it stays on with shore power unplugged/generator off and its been more than five minutes.. You have a problem... This is not one I can do remote though

Possible issue is a disconnect solenoid that is not switching to OPEN, makes the clunk, but does not actually switch.

Posibility 2 is an additional 12 volt source (Solar panel?) you have overlooked.

Lift the NEGATIVE battery wire (house side) and see what happens, then do the Chassis as well if necessary.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
IF it stays on with shore power unplugged/generator off and its been more than five minutes.. You have a problem... This is not one I can do remote though

Possible issue is a disconnect solenoid that is not switching to OPEN, makes the clunk, but does not actually switch.

Posibility 2 is an additional 12 volt source (Solar panel?) you have overlooked.

Lift the NEGATIVE battery wire (house side) and see what happens, then do the Chassis as well if necessary.
Definitely not another power source. I know when I replace chassis battery it was off until I reconnected the cables, may be a bad disconnect solenoid. I'll break out the multimeter and check it today. When should lite be on? In store or use my manual isn't clear.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Not connected to shore power and light stays on after being disconnected for a day or more.

I will check the PC board today.

Was manually charging chassis battery yesterday and it got hot. Maybe an issue with it not sure it got to 12v I am going to have it tested today.

This was my stepdads coach and I am working thru several issues to get it ready to sell. Working on Oman 4000 generator today that starts then dies, has new carb so trying to decide what next fuel pump seems to work because fuel comes out of disconnected line when cranking. Maybe bad filter cut it looks to be a bear to get to and replace. Any suggestions appreciated.
Onan generator may need to have load in order to run. If it senses no load it will shut down. Start it and then turn on the coach air conditioner. As long as A/C runs, generator will run. Good luck.
FreedomDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:37 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Definitely not another power source. I know when I replace chassis battery it was off until I reconnected the cables, may be a bad disconnect solenoid. I'll break out the multimeter and check it today. When should lite be on? In store or use my manual isn't clear.

Ah, sounds like it is mis wired or the isolator solenoid is welded shut then. That is where I'd start looking.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:22 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On the generator, it sounds like fuel pump. You need to pressure test it. Clogged filter would cause it to run rough. If it's good, there are two sensors that can go bad or should be checked. Low oil pressure and high temp. They will both shut the unit down. Make sure unit is full of fresh oil.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Ah, sounds like it is mis wired or the isolator solenoid is welded shut then. That is where I'd start looking.
Well in process of diagnosing problem found solenoid really wasn't releasing constantly had power on both poles no matter how switch was set. Pulled the switch and checked for continuity when actuated. Put it back in and eureka it's working. Must have been dirty or bad connection. Thanks for all your help, now on to the generator. Next for sale sign
Old 10-22-2014, 05:17 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Make sure you have enough gas in the tank of the motorhome as the generator won't run if less than about 1/4 tank. Since it sounds like this unit may have been sitting it may not have enough gas in the tank to keep the generator running.

Just a thought.
jhlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect