Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Battery disconnects

I have a fleetwood discovery 40 G aand would like to install battery disconnects. I have been told by cummins that it would cost $600 and general rv quoted 400 this seems very high, any comments
crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Buy a boat battery switch - about $40.00. Install it on your + cable. Simple and works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1513 (Small).JPG
Views:	147
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	15667  
Old 11-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
You will wanrt to be sure that whatever switch you install is rated for the load you will place on it. Pictured is a light, probably 30 to 50 amp switch for the house batteries. Your Cummins can draw several hundred amps while cranking. With a switch, rated too low for the situation, the switch will act as a fuse, and, with all that heavy draw, and plastic, instant fire!
Definately will not be a good day for you!
Have fun, be careful, very careful!
free-to-roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #4

Explaining what you need is fairly simple.

On coach side, you typically can use a 100 amp disconnect. Please note that inverters are typically connected directly to the battery not through the disconnect relay.

On the chassis side that you need a bigger one in order to handle the starter amperage. This 200 amp is for a gas rig. A diesel may need a larger one. The rating (200 amp) is for continous ON. They have a instantanious rating of 400 amps which supports the high starter current.

The disconnect relays do not require a constant -12VDC signal to the them to change position. A pulse signal is sent to them that causes them to shift position and then mechanically latch in place (no parasitic load that way).

For add-on, they would be controlled by control panels simular to these:

or

or

Most of these items can typically found cheaper on EBAY (search INTELLITEC). It is the labor to install and run the wiring for all this that is the cost (someting like $150/hr?).
Intelletic (http://www.intellitec.com/pdfs/BATTE...atteryprod.htm) is just one source. There are others.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #5

Take a look at some of the disconnects available from Smmit Racing.

Search Results for battery disconnect - SummitRacing.com

They have several available. We use this one on our gas motorhome.

Flaming River FR1005 - Flaming River Big Switch Battery Disconnects - Overview - SummitRacing.com

It's probably overkill for our gasser in that it can handle 250 amps continuously and a peak of 2,500 amps. I like the fact that it's waterproof and can be locked out if it isn't installed in a secure place. We've had it for 10 years and never had a problem
Old 11-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Dealer just replace my chassis batteries and installed a disconnect on my ground. Problem is now my cockpit lights are lit when all of the batteries are isolated and my cameras exhibit terrible static. Since the house batteries isolate on the positive side, it seems to me the chassis battery should also isolate on the positive side.
Vegasguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery