Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2019, 07:18 PM   #1

Battery Drain Qs

New RV. Stored with no shore power.

House battery shut off.

After 4 days, Chassis battery is 12.38v and Engine Battery is 12.46v.
Has a (5w solar charger on the roof to maintain engine bat).
To me, this seems like a lot of draw, especially since night time temps have been above freezing.

Asked the dealer, he said this amount of draw down is normal, that battery will be totally dead in two weeks. He said the 5watts on the roof won't help (thanks for telling me now).

Looking into a storage spot with shore power, but until then what do you recommend to keep charge up, in both engine and house, without having to drive it or run the gen at least once a week?
Disconnecting the batteries does not seem like a good option.

Dealer said could install 50-100w solar on the roof for $1000 (or so, didn't explore this with him much).

Looking into things like portable solar panels. How would they hook up to 2 house bats in parallel?

What are your experiences? Thanks!
Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2019, 07:29 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I don’t have a Newmar but in my Tiffin the Inverter is a big battery drain even with no active loads. I need to make sure my inverter is off, even using battery disconnect switch. Do you have an inverter?
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:32 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your inverter/charger likely still has a power draw when off. If no separate inverter disconnect, switch, add one or pull a house battery battery cable.

Usually chassis battery discinnect is total discinnect. If there is not one, add or pull a battery cable.

5w solar not of much use. 100-200w best for storage. Connect to house batteries and use a diversion charger (such as AmpLStart) for the chassis battery. Or implement a solar controller that has dual battery capability.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:34 PM   #4

You probably need a battery disconnect switch near, but not in the battery compartment. Your MH may have a battery switch installed at the factory, but they often do not disconnect everything. The same is true for the chassis battery. Some systems may need power to maintain settings and things so they are permanently connected to batteries. Total battery shut off may make restarting an annoying problem. Check manuals.

50 - 100 watt solar sounds about right for maintaining choose at least 100 if cost is not an issue. It depends on the MH systems still powered.

Perhaps others can advise as to best solar value for your dollars and what systems are the best. Theft of a portable system left unattended is an issue.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:43 PM   #5

unhook your batteries ground. don't trust disconnects. If you do chose to use a disconnect be sure it is rated for the amperage you are drawing. on my coach it will kill a set of batteries in 4 days if I am not plugged in.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:48 PM   #6

There is nothing on your coach that needs power when in storage.

As mentioned above the inverter draws power even when off. Not sure how yours is wired but mine is directly to the battery and does not go through the battery switch.

If I had to store without being plugged in I would disconnect battery, or install a shutoff in inverter supply. If you do make sure it's rated for at least as much as the inverter fuse, or more. (Mine is 300A to give you and idea).

If you don't have a schematic try to follow the cables so you get to know your system.

5W solar is pointless. 100 would do nicely.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:10 PM   #7

You can get a 100 watt panel, solar charge & wires for $250 on Amazon. Please pm if you need assistance.
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
I don’t have a Newmar but in my Tiffin the Inverter is a big battery drain even with no active loads. I need to make sure my inverter is off, even using battery disconnect switch. Do you have an inverter?
Yes, there's a 1000W converter in one on the basement bays. Not sure how it is wired up. I'll look at that today. The power light on the inverter itself is dark.
The Inverter has a separate power switch in the "control panel" cabinet and that switch is off.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Your inverter/charger likely still has a power draw when off. If no separate inverter disconnect, switch, add one or pull a house battery battery cable.

Usually chassis battery discinnect is total discinnect. If there is not one, add or pull a battery cable.
The inverter has a separate power on/off switch in the control cabinet. It is off and power light on actual inverter unit is off. Could there still be a draw?
On our last MH, there was an Engine battery disconnect under the dash. Worked great. Looks like no such luck on this coach. I'd rather not get under there and pull the ground cable every time we store for more than 4 days...
Old 03-07-2019, 08:41 AM   #10

Here's what the 2019 Bay Star Sport manual says,

"When the battery disconnect is off...there are still some loads on the batteries connected to the hot side of the Battery Disconnect Relay. Some of these loads may be Radio Memory, Entry Steps, and LP Detector....Pull the fuse for each of the 'HOT' circuits to stop batteries from being drained."
While pulling fuses seems like a better option than pulling battery cables, I still don't have a high degree of confidence that I'll be able to find the right fuses AND the manual does not address the Engine Battery drain...
Old 03-07-2019, 09:46 AM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
Ramona, I have mine in storage no power. I pulled the house batteries and have them at home on trickle chargers. The chassis battery I run the engine once a month for 30min to top off the battery. I have had no issues doing this and starts every time.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:42 AM   #12

Ditto on disconnecting ground cables from both battery banks.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:17 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
I store where there is no shore power.

1. 100W Solar Panel on roof to charge the house battery (Amazon about $190) installed by me.

2. Trik-L-Start installed to pull charge from house battery to chassis battery.

3. Relocated house battery shutoff to be reachable from ground outside of door.

I turn off the house battery switch and lock the door.

Both battery banks are good when I return weeks later.

Turning on the house battery switch causes the steps to extend.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:40 PM   #14

Thanks Dean.
Yep. Looks like I'm going to have to get a solar panel.
I'm just not ready to have someone drilling into the roof of my brand new coach and making an already very complicated electrical system even more complicated. I can't do it—too dumb.

I'd like to just do a portable unit that I connect directly to the batteries, but I know that there are issues with that as well.
I'm going to do some research and try to figure something out...

Tags
battery