Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2021, 02:58 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Battery Issue

We spent about a month on the road and traveled 5,000 miles in our 07 Fleetwood Flair.

We have been home for about seven weeks.

I parked the RV in our storage lot and about a month later brought it home to air out and do a good interior cleaning.

I backed in the driveway and about an hour later the engine wouldn't start.

I removed the battery and put it on my charger, it showed 12.5 volts.

I charged it overnight to 13.0 volts and about 30 hours later reinstalled it. The engine still wouldn't start.

I did get the generator started and after about 10 minutes I was able to start the engine.

I'm guessing that I have a bad cell in the battery, its only a year old. It's an off brand installed by the PO.

I'm also having a problem getting the slides in and out. Could that be because I have a weak battery. The slides only operate with the engine running, and brake set.

The step is giving me an issue as well. The step and slides operate off the starting battery, not the house batteries.

The last few days of the trip I could only get the slides to move if I unloaded them, I only had about 100# in each one, pretty light I thought.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2021, 04:53 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just as a thought I’d have the battery load tested, that would answer your question as to the battery being good or not.
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:39 PM   #3

Make sure the water levels are good (assuming the battery has filler caps) then charge the battery.
Once charged, let it rest off of the charger for several hours, then check the voltage with a multimeter. A fully charged good battery should be at 12.6+ volts.
Additionally, if it has filler caps, check for bad cells by testing the specific gravity of each cell with a hydrometer.
You could also get it tested as suggested above, but I prefer using a multimeter and hydrometer to periodically track the values and get ahead of any failing batteries.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:11 PM   #4

Sounds like batteries to me, I agree with load testing.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:02 PM   #5

The leveling system and slides require good high quality 12VDC to operate. Weak/failing batteries simply can't supply the required voltage.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:22 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
I agree with battery test and checking water level. Even if it is a maintenance free battery you can still add distilled water. I bought a load tester from Harbor Freight $19.99 sometimes on sale for $14.99

https://www.harborfreight.com/100a-6...ter-61747.html
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:43 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
I agree with battery test and checking water level. Even if it is a maintenance free battery you can still add distilled water. I bought a load tester from Harbor Freight $19.99 sometimes on sale for $14.99

https://www.harborfreight.com/100a-6...ter-61747.html
That one is ok, but it really only tests for load on the batteries. For as much discussion that goes on here, I recommend spending a little more. The digital one will find shorts in a cell, tell you how much of the rated capacity. Iíve found bad batteries that passed a load test but had shorted or dead cells with this one.

https://www.harborfreight.com/digita...zer-66892.html
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 04:09 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
I need a group 78 battery.

Im looking at a Duracell ultra Gold with 800 cca, 985 ca, no spec on reserve capacity, but it should be around 100 min.

This battery is in stock at Batteries+ and has a 3 year replacement warranty for $160.

I store the coach outside at a mini-storage. So far theft has not been a problem but I suspect if I get a high dollar battery it will walk.

Opinions on the Duracell Ultra Gold?
Old 08-22-2021, 04:16 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
I need a group 78 battery.

Im looking at a Duracell ultra Gold with 800 cca, 985 ca, no spec on reserve capacity, but it should be around 100 min.

This battery is in stock at Batteries+ and has a 3 year replacement warranty for $160.

I store the coach outside at a mini-storage. So far theft has not been a problem but I suspect if I get a high dollar battery it will walk.

Opinions on the Duracell Ultra Gold?
Never owned a Duracell auto battery, Iíve always bought Interstate or NAPA batteries.
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 04:28 PM   #10

There are only a few battery manafactures. They just lable them different.

Find out who makes it and see who else markets them.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 04:55 PM   #11

Duracells made by East Penn and I've used and had good service from East Penn at attractive prices.
Yes you can buy "better" at significantly higher prices that I doubt will ever break even no less come out ahead.
Current EP AGMs in our boat are about to finish 8 seasons of NE boating and winter storage with no charging capability.
Recently installed 8 Duracell AGM GCs in the MH as a house bank.

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:00 PM   #12

Look for corroded or dirty connections at every connection on the battery cables. At 12.5 bolts it should have started without issue.
Take them off, clean, lube with dielectric grease and put them back. A good thing to do even if it's not the issue
Old 08-23-2021, 02:45 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLoves2Sk View Post
Look for corroded or dirty connections at every connection on the battery cables. At 12.5 bolts it should have started without issue.
Take them off, clean, lube with dielectric grease and put them back. A good thing to do even if it's not the issue
Thats the first thing I did. I removed the battery, put it on my charger and cleaned all the connections.

The battery will not hold a charge.

Tags
battery