Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2016, 04:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
The cables don't look very healthy either. New cables are not a big expense. Also, I notice in your photo you battery is only 500 CCA. not much of a battery for that engine. I would lay out another $75-100 and get a 900 CCA battery, new cables and bolts and you will be trouble free for years to come. Nothing more annoying than a dead battery. Except running out of beer.

P/S, measure the battery tray and install a battery that is as large as you can get for the tray. I suspect someone replaced the battery at some point with the wrong size battery.
Roger that! What do I search for when looking for new cables? And when you say "as large as you can get" is the only thing that has to be the same is the battery being 12v? CCA and such I should just get the highest I can find?

And yes, I never want to run out of beer!
philisweatly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2016, 04:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by philisweatly View Post
Roger that! What do I search for when looking for new cables? And when you say "as large as you can get" is the only thing that has to be the same is the battery being 12v? CCA and such I should just get the highest I can find?

And yes, I never want to run out of beer!
Just take a measurement of your cables and battery tray and head down to your local NAPA or equivalent intelligent auto parts store. They can supply new cables to the same length and all you need to do is install them.
As for the battery, they can likely supply a battery based on the make/model of the chassis but have the maximum dimensions in hand anyway just to be sure. Go the the Maximum CCA that will fit. The extra few bucks is worth it, trust me.

BTW, when working on your battery, always disconnect the Negative Cable first, then the Positive. To install, do the reverse. Install the positive first, the the Negative.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Just take a measurement of your cables and battery tray and head down to your local NAPA or equivalent intelligent auto parts store. They can supply new cables to the same length and all you need to do is install them.
As for the battery, they can likely supply a battery based on the make/model of the chassis but have the maximum dimensions in hand anyway just to be sure. Go the the Maximum CCA that will fit. The extra few bucks is worth it, trust me.

BTW, when working on your battery, always disconnect the Negative Cable first, then the Positive. To install, do the reverse. Install the positive first, the the Negative.
Roger that!
Old 12-08-2016, 08:17 PM   #18

Buy a hydrometer $5 max.

Test all the cells to see if they're any good before you go chasing all these charging issues, buying a charger, taking to dealer etc., etc. If the cells test bad, easy answer. Buy new battery.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:26 PM   #19

It's already been stated, but those cables will never work with any reliability. If you don't want to try to find some that will fit, most semi truck parts houses (at least around me) can custom make a cable to your specs. This image is one I made myself. Your ends should look like this or you're losing power. Could also be corrosion inside of those wires you can't see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1481254088270.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	146295  
soneil422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Buy a hydrometer $5 max.

Test all the cells to see if they're any good before you go chasing all these charging issues, buying a charger, taking to dealer etc., etc. If the cells test bad, easy answer. Buy new battery.
Since I took the battery to the auto parts store and they did a test there and it showed it was 100% charged would that change anything with a self hydrometer?
Old 12-08-2016, 09:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by philisweatly View Post
Since I took the battery to the auto parts store and they did a test there and it showed it was 100% charged would that change anything with a self hydrometer?

The shop you took it to would have tested the battery with a hydrometer. As I said earlier, your problem is a couple of things, you need new cables to make proper contact and your battery, although it tested good, is very much undersized for your application.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by soneil422 View Post
It's already been stated, but those cables will never work with any reliability. If you don't want to try to find some that will fit, most semi truck parts houses (at least around me) can custom make a cable to your specs. This image is one I made myself. Your ends should look like this or you're losing power. Could also be corrosion inside of those wires you can't see.
That's a big 10-4. I'll run out to NAPA with some specs and see what they got. Thanks again.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:11 PM   #23

Quote:
The shop you took it to would have tested the battery with a hydrometer. As I said earlier, your problem is a couple of things, you need new cables to make proper contact and your battery, although it tested good, is very much undersized for your application.

Check and check. Thanks for info!
Old 12-09-2016, 07:22 AM   #24

Replace those battery terminals!

My 2003 Bounder had lots of charging issues... the battery control center had a burned resistor. But even after that was fixed, I'd need to jump start it often as not. Battery tested fine, and was fully charged. It was a puzzle.

Turned out that one of the side-mount battery terminals was rusty. It would pass some current, but not much. It was probably the reason the BCC failed. I think it was a $3 part at WalMart, it's been 100% reliable since. So fix that first.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:30 AM   #25

Please check Neutral safety switch ( See if turns over in neutral) and also try jumping the starter solenoid and see what happens. Process of elimination.
jamador1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:48 AM   #26

Freightliner Owners Club
Exclamation Battery Problems

That is exactly what happened to me yesterday. I had my coach washed, waxed and detailed last Friday. Moved it back into my parking spot and my review camera went out. After I had shut it down I noticed that I was to close to the back fence. Went back inside and went to restart and nothing. Could not figure out what was the problem. Took out the 2-12V chassis batteries and used a hydrometer and checked out. One battery was great and the other had 3 dead cells. Yesterday I went to Advance Auto parts and took my batteries and had them check them out. They came to the same conclusion that I did. One was bad. So, I bought 2 new batteries and went and installed them in my rig and went to start it up and -NOTHING!! Every thing on the dash worked perfectly, all the bells and horns and whistles on the dash worked. Started checking out, the different systems and trying to start after each check. When I got to the transmission I pressed the different gears and low and behold, it started. Even though the indicator said N there must have been something in the Neutral switch. Every thing is OK now except I just need to figure out where the 3rd wire in the battery compartment goes.
golfman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfman8 View Post
That is exactly what happened to me yesterday. I had my coach washed, waxed and detailed last Friday. Moved it back into my parking spot and my review camera went out. After I had shut it down I noticed that I was to close to the back fence. Went back inside and went to restart and nothing. Could not figure out what was the problem. Took out the 2-12V chassis batteries and used a hydrometer and checked out. One battery was great and the other had 3 dead cells. Yesterday I went to Advance Auto parts and took my batteries and had them check them out. They came to the same conclusion that I did. One was bad. So, I bought 2 new batteries and went and installed them in my rig and went to start it up and -NOTHING!! Every thing on the dash worked perfectly, all the bells and horns and whistles on the dash worked. Started checking out, the different systems and trying to start after each check. When I got to the transmission I pressed the different gears and low and behold, it started. Even though the indicator said N there must have been something in the Neutral switch. Every thing is OK now except I just need to figure out where the 3rd wire in the battery compartment goes.

Golf man - just FYI, usually at the bottom , and on top of your steer column is the neutral safety switch. It has a screw on each side that once you loosen you can move in either direction to line up neutral to prevent this in the future and, also so you can start in park mode. Sometimes, the wires get corroded and just need to be cleaned up and use di-electric grease when re attaching. If it's not there, it's a whole different animal on side of transmission ... Either way glad you resolved issue and happy holidays!
Old 12-10-2016, 12:00 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamador1010 View Post
Golf man - just FYI, usually at the bottom , and on top of your steer column is the neutral safety switch. It has a screw on each side that once you loosen you can move in either direction to line up neutral to prevent this in the future and, also so you can start in park mode. Sometimes, the wires get corroded and just need to be cleaned up and use di-electric grease when re attaching. If it's not there, it's a whole different animal on side of transmission ... Either way glad you resolved issue and happy holidays!
Also is the third wire on ground or positive side of batteries?

Tags
battery