Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2014, 03:24 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Battery Life

My DP has four 6V wet cell house batteries and two 12V sealed engine batteries. Is there a general consensus on how often the batteries should be replaced?

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2014, 04:04 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
In a gas coach their is only one chassis battery and a couple of house batteries.
My house batteries, wet cells, have always given me good service maybe lasting up to 4 & 5 years than I would change them out to AGM's because of all the mess that can be associated with the wet cells.
Mean while the chassis battery keeps chugging along now being 10 years old+ sealed battery.
My battery system is controlled by a BIRD System which I have had in the three Newmars owned.
The coach is always plugged in 24/7 12 months of the year.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:04 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Three to five years is probably what most people get but I have read folks claiming ten years out of their batteries crediting their storage process for the longevity.

The life of your batteries will vary considerably with the care they are given. A battery that is maintained with a charge will outlast one that has been allowed to discharge to very low levels then recharged. This makes maintenance of batteries in storage a key issue in their life expectancy. A properly stored battery with a charge/minder on it will easily outlast perhaps even twice as long as one without.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:09 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My last set of Trojan 105's lasted 10 years. Proper maintenance and charging goes a long way.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
My interstate batteries where replaced after 11 years with no issues. Just replaced because of age.
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
must have had a special blessing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okrver View Post
My interstate batteries where replaced after 11 years with no issues. Just replaced because of age.
If these were Lead Acid you must have had a special blessing along the way. My experience with batteries is 3-4 years. Professionally speaking licensed fire alarm engineer, batteries for these devices MUST be replaced after 5 years of service. Few if any of these sealed batteries last that long. On the MH I have two very large marine AGM batteries for starting and two deep cycle golf cart 6 volt batteries in series for the house. we will be adding two more for the house soon as two only last a few days with the furnace running.

on our boat, we replace the typical marine deep cycle battery every three years. They usually go bad during the fourth year and we don't need to be out there with dead or weak batteries.

On the RV house we get about 2-3 seasons but the get used hard. the starting batteries are very powerful and expect them to last the 10 years. I use these AGM because they start a cold diesel very fast. Always keep you starting batteries strong as you do not want to drag your starter motor long than necessary as it will reduce the life of the device.

Good batteries last longer because the have thicker plates and more reserve. All batteries last longer if properly charge and never deeply discharged. more batteries help to minimize deep cycling. Over charging will always overheat a battery and shorten the life. Sealed batteries offer the easiest options with minimal maintenance. There are recovery caps that can be used on wet cell which will minimize the amount of recharge water required.

There is a lot to talk about when it comes to batteries and a lot has been already posted. Of course, everyone will have an opinion - some right some wrong.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:40 PM   #7

We owned our coach 7 yrs, interstate 6 volt, loaded tested prior to sale still good. Very little dry camping and always plugged in while stored.
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig P. View Post
My DP has four 6V wet cell house batteries and two 12V sealed engine batteries. Is there a general consensus on how often the batteries should be replaced?

Craig
When they quit working right and not until.

Our Interstate U-2200's lasted one month short of 10 years and actually were still good enough for our use. We were headed out on a trip and I didn't want any trouble while on the road.
I did add 4oz of mineral oil in each cell when they were about 2 years old.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Distillers water.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:26 PM   #10
Community Moderator

i parked my rig at a private yard. the owner has a golf cart so he would drive it around the yard. when he saw i was changing my batteries, he told me his were due in change too. he flipped up his seat, i saw 4 t-105's. i asked how long those batteries had been, he said around 20 years. i was appalled but i knew the guy personally and i wouldn't doubt what he said.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery