RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2016, 08:39 PM   #1

Battery life in TST 507 monitor

How long can it be expected to run on a full charge?
I'm wondering if it is necessary to hardwire it to power.

On another note, it was extremely easy to set up and the monitor is reading the tires on both the coach and toad which are about 75 feet behind the house and behind two metal walls of my shop. That's a strong read!
CapnJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2016, 09:10 PM   #2

I recharge the monitor every 3-4 days of driving. I turn it off when parked for overnight.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:43 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I used to go about 4 days between charging. Last year I hard wired it. Now I don't have to worry about it.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:07 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hardwired mine, but I love the fact that it detaches easily and I can take it with me to check on or air up the tires. Keeps the low pressure alarm from driving the DW crazy.
Blandry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:57 AM   #5

Thanks for all the replies. I let it run overnight and still shows full bars on the charge level. I love the little pop-on cradle and the ability to take it off easily. I found a place at the bottom of the dash area where it will just below the gear selection indicator and the ability to not need to run a wire to it makes for a very neat installation.

I got the toad repeater for it but don't think I'll need it since it is reading all 10 tires from the distance and thru a metal building.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnJustice View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I let it run overnight and still shows full bars on the charge level. I love the little pop-on cradle and the ability to take it off easily. I found a place at the bottom of the dash area where it will just below the gear selection indicator and the ability to not need to run a wire to it makes for a very neat installation.

I got the toad repeater for it but don't think I'll need it since it is reading all 10 tires from the distance and thru a metal building.
Mine will pick up the trailer when parked away from the coach. I also have the repeater. You may find that while driving on the road, they do not report as they should. No problems on previous coaches, but I have trouble getting updates from the trailer while the engine is running and moving. When I shut the engine off, they will report in a couple minutes. Next trip, I will relocate the repeater away from the engine to eliminate possible electrical interference.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:09 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think the repeater is important in any coach over 36', especially if you have monitors on the toad. I installed the unit on my 40' DP and it worked fine at the house Once on the road, the system would occasionally drop out and sound the alarm. I contacted TST and they said various thermometers in the coach or other signal sending devices could interfere. I disconnected the indoor/outdoor thermometer and still had the issue. I finally installed the repeater and no more issues.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:26 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Without the toad I am okay. But when it is hooked up I have to have the repeater. So I just connected it and that's where it stays.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:49 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnJustice View Post
How long can it be expected to run on a full charge? I'm wondering if it is necessary to hardwire it to power.
When I first installed mine, I did not have it hooked to power and it ran for three weeks and still showed a full charge. I did turn it off when parked, but we were on the move a lot during that time. I have since hooked it to 12v switched and it turns itself on and off with power.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:10 PM   #10

I have only had mine for six months or so and we are not full timers. I only did the eight coach tires no toad and no repeater was necessary. I did not hard wire the monitor and I turn on/off only when using. I think I have only charged the thing two or three times in 6 months and about 6000 miles. This reminds me I need to go remove the wheel sensors to preserve the batteries as we are not planning to go anywhere until spring.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:17 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I get several days on my receiver too on a single charge. I do have it hooked up to power, but it's only 'hot' when the key is on. I leave the receiver on at all times when camping, so I don't have any last-minute surprises when it comes time to de-camp.

The batteries on the sending units (external screw-on senders) started going out at about 10 months, I replaced them all at about 11 months. Inexpensive and easy to do.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Mine will pick up the trailer when parked away from the coach. I also have the repeater. You may find that while driving on the road, they do not report as they should. No problems on previous coaches, but I have trouble getting updates from the trailer while the engine is running and moving. When I shut the engine off, they will report in a couple minutes. Next trip, I will relocate the repeater away from the engine to eliminate possible electrical interference.
mine is gas so front motor should preclude that. will mount repeater on rear wall of coach.

Tags
battery