Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2017, 01:20 PM   #1

Battery maintenance

2006 Tradewinds 400 Cummings
Leave mh plugged in to 15 amp plug at house lost over a gallon of water in house batteries since top up last 5 weeks ago
What is acceptable amount just seems like a lot to me
Aphinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2017, 01:37 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have seen several comments on here about constantly charging batteries. I have lots of experience working with lead acid batteries and know those batteries last longer if they are completely discharged on a regular basis. Constant charging like a car battery shortens life because of a build up on plates.
If you are having to add that much water, you are either charging them at a high rate constantly or have a crack in the case causing a loss of electrolyte.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:40 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Check the charging voltage of the converter/charger. Also, make sure all connections to batteries and ground are clean. You might also research your make and model of converter/charger, see what it's capable of doing. Finally, after batteries are all charged, do a specific gravity test to make sure each cell in each battery is good.

Dirty connections, a bad cell, could be making the converter/charger put out too much charging power.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:04 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Most of the above is good advice. Another question, How old are your batteries? Have they ever had exposed plates from lack of water? Have they ever been allowed to totally discharge? Any of the conditions mentioned will cause your batteries to use excessive water. Batteries over 3 to 4 years old, will be mostly used up. If you want batteries that are less work, I would look into AGM batteries. They will cost more, but what a joy not to have to worry about water levels. My rig takes 8 batteries, and because of being easier to care for they lasted 5 1/2 years. previous coach regular lead acid batteries only lasted 4 years, because sometime they got low on water.
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:11 PM   #5

From everything I have read, you never want to discharge the house batteries below 50% charge or about 12-12.2 volts with no load on them. Completely discharging a battery is a good way to shorten it's useful life. I have also read that the newer batteries perform just fine if continuously hooked up to a properly working invertor/charger that can read the condition of the battery and do a three stage charge with a tapering float charge when fully charged. Losing water can mean a defective charger that is not tapering off to float and is boiling the water out.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
From everything I have read, you never want to discharge the house batteries below 50% charge or about 12-12.2 volts with no load on them. Completely discharging a battery is a good way to shorten it's useful life. I have also read that the newer batteries perform just fine if continuously hooked up to a properly working invertor/charger that can read the condition of the battery and do a three stage charge with a tapering float charge when fully charged. Losing water can mean a defective charger that is not tapering off to float and is boiling the water out.

X2, perfect analysis!

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:21 PM   #7

We purchased the mh 7 months ago the first time I checked the batteries was 5 weeks ago and put over a gallon of water in them them I have looked for a date code on Batteries but no luck 2 of the 4 batteries water level was below cells
When I check charger shows to be charging at 14.1 all the time both on house and chassis
Aphinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:31 PM   #8

So Alpinn,

You don't know how old the bank is and probably don't know who made and the model of the converter charger.

Those are two things that you should change right now. There is a date code on the jars themselves, but you may have to get one out to find it.

As far as converters, if yours is always charging to 14.1, that is why the water is leaving. Go get a good one. It should be a 3 or 4 stage. Look for Iota or Progressive Dymanics (there may be others by now), and count on replacing the entire bank.

Matt and I did a lot of this stuff on boats (Matt) and RVs (both) before the depression killed both. It will come back in just a couple more years.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:37 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I purchased 3 Battery Minders and have them connected permanently to my 2 - 12v batteries and 2 in series 6v batteries. They are plugged in while the MH is in storage. No excess water usage and the cells are always fully charged. Many other benefits to the minders.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphinn View Post
We purchased the mh 7 months ago the first time I checked the batteries was 5 weeks ago and put over a gallon of water in them them I have looked for a date code on Batteries but no luck 2 of the 4 batteries water level was below cells
When I check charger shows to be charging at 14.1 all the time both on house and chassis

.....honestly, while it may be a battery problem, I am more inclined to believe it's a maintenance problem.....you have had the coach 7 months and your just now checking the batteries, that's not good maintenance.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:49 PM   #11

Batty maintainer is a much better choice to keep batty s healthy while in storage. Constant charge not as good.IMO
Sone maintainers have a desulphation mode that will help repair prior neglect.
DO NOT FULLY DISCHARGE A FLA BATTY IT WILL SHORTEN LIFE.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:49 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I agree, never heard advice to discharge lead acid batteries all the way! I'd love to see links to the idea discharging all the way prolongs life.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:00 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've added mineral oil to my last few sets of batteries to cut way down on fluid loss. My 4-8D batteries go several months between checks and I usually only need to add a few oz to them. I might go through 1 gallon of distilled water in a year. But then I also have a good 3 stage charger in the inverter.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 05:46 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I've added mineral oil to my last few sets of batteries to cut way down on fluid loss. My 4-8D batteries go several months between checks and I usually only need to add a few oz to them. I might go through 1 gallon of distilled water in a year. But then I also have a good 3 stage charger in the inverter.

Same here on our new coach. After reading these forums obsessively to gain knowledge, topped all my batteries with mineral oil. Added water once since ownership...almost a year.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery