Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2016, 02:36 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Battery Question

Hi Folks. Have a question. Have my DP plugged into shore power. It's been sitting for about a month since we retuned from last trip. Getting ready for next trip today and it appears batteries are dead as a door nail. Won't even turn over. Both coach and house batteries are less than a year old and water was added just a month ago to the batteries that require it. The only thing I noticed was the Aladdin Monitor screen was on and it may have been on for a while as. I checked the electrical status and it shows

House Battery VDC. 13.0. AMP. 1 Chg

AC Leg 1. VAC. 123. AMP. Off
AC Leg 2. VAC. 123. AMP. Off
No AC Power SelecTed

I'm surprised the Aladdin is even working with house batteries appearing to be dead. Checked batter cut off switch and it is on.

Am I dealing with just dead batteries??
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2016, 03:48 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If the RV was plugged in to shore power, the batteries were connected, and they still are depleted, it sounds like a problem with your converter/charger. Check that any circuit breakers on it aren't tripped and measure voltage with a meter to see that it's charging.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:11 PM   #3

You don't really say whether both your coach and chassis batteries banks are both dead or not. If the coach batteries show 13 volts, I would not expect them to be dead. If you have a switch on your dash to start your motor with the coach batteries, try that.

Beyond that, unless you have a bad chassis battery, your onboard charger is not linking/maintaining both the coach batteries and chassis batteries as it probably should. Are you sure the onboard charger charges your chassis batteries on shore power? Unless your readout on the control panel can show you the DC voltage of both house and chassis batteries, check them manually with a voltage meter.

On my old 2000 Fleetwood Storm Class A, when on shore power, would not charge the chassis battery as I recall. Only charged off engine alternator. So I kept a 3 stage float charger on it when parked. Never had a problem after I started doing that.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:26 PM   #4

Please forgive me but my DH is out of pocket and I'm not great with electrical issues. I looked at the Magnum Inverter and it appears fine. green"ready" light is on. Inside the coach the Aladdin system monitor is working fine which makes me believe the house batteries are providing some voltage. Am I correct??? BUT there is not enough voltage to open the slides. The chassis batteries are totally dead. DH is going to pick up two new chassis batteries on his way home. Once we get it started I can run the gen. I need to go to mechanic school!!!!
Old 10-31-2016, 04:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
You don't really say whether both your coach and chassis batteries banks are both dead or not. If the coach batteries show 13 volts, I would not expect them to be dead. If you have a switch on your dash to start your motor with the coach batteries, try that.

Beyond that, unless you have a bad chassis battery, your onboard charger is not linking/maintaining both the coach batteries and chassis batteries as it probably should. Are you sure the onboard charger charges your chassis batteries on shore power? Unless your readout on the control panel can show you the DC voltage of both house and chassis batteries, check them manually with a voltage meter.

On my old 2000 Fleetwood Storm Class A, when on shore power, would not charge the chassis battery as I recall. Only charged off engine alternator. So I kept a 3 stage float charger on it when parked. Never had a problem after I started doing that.
There must be juice in the house batteries because the Aladdin system is working. I believe the chassis batteries are dead. I hooked up jumper cables to the chassis batteries and my car and while there was not enough power to start the bus, the accessory lights on the dashboard all came on. DH is getting two new chassis batteries in his way home. good idea on a float charger. We have a 1amp trickle charger but I think that is too small.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:00 PM   #6

Is your transfer switch working?

Ours is broken and doing the same thing. We have to get it replaced.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
2015 Fiat 500 Pop stick
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:21 PM   #7

I not so sure it is the transfer switch. If your panel showed 120V on L1 and L2, then you must be connected to shore power. On our Forza there is another electronic gizmo, the name escapes me that tells the charger whether to charge the house batteries, coach batteries or both. Maybe that is not working? Of course that assumes your charger does indeed charge your chassis batteries on shore/generator power.

If it does not, on my old RV I used a 3 am three stage (bulk, absorption, float) automatic charger from Battery Tender. Got it at Costco for $40. Worked flawless to keep the chassis battery fully charged. Just always used it when the rv was garaged. BTW I use separate battery tenders on all 4 of my motorcycles when not in use. Age of batteries are 11, 9, 8 and 8 years old. All still seem to work fine. In my opinion, it really does make a difference on battery life.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:55 PM   #8

Right now the best action is to hook up a stand-alone battery charger to both house and chassis batteries. When batteries are totally dead, the onboard charger usually will not recharge the batteries. When the manual charger gets the batteries up to about 1/4 charged, the onboard charger will begin recharging them.
Another action is to push the reset button(hold for a moment) on the inverter/charger. Then you must push the button to turn on the charger too after the inverter has restarted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
I not so sure it is the transfer switch. If your panel showed 120V on L1 and L2, then you must be connected to shore power. On our Forza there is another electronic gizmo, the name escapes me that tells the charger whether to charge the house batteries, coach batteries or both. Maybe that is not working? Of course that assumes your charger does indeed charge your chassis batteries on shore/generator power.

If it does not, on my old RV I used a 3 am three stage (bulk, absorption, float) automatic charger from Battery Tender. Got it at Costco for $40. Worked flawless to keep the chassis battery fully charged. Just always used it when the rv was garaged. BTW I use separate battery tenders on all 4 of my motorcycles when not in use. Age of batteries are 11, 9, 8 and 8 years old. All still seem to work fine. In my opinion, it really does make a difference on battery life.
Are you referring to the BIRD=Bi-directional isolator relay?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:15 PM   #9

Battery isolation manager
Old 11-02-2016, 08:03 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

sunset4k's rig may not charge the chassis batteries from shore power. Some brands & models do not, especially older ones, and Monaco/HR is one of those brands that did not have chassis charging in some years. I'm guessing he has a Holiday Rambler of some model & vintage.

If his coach does have a battery charge controller, then it's probably either a faulty solenoid (relay) OR the house batteries do not reach the voltage threshold where chassis charging can begin. The house batteries get priority and in most charge controllers the chassis charge relay won't close until the house batteries reach about 13.3v.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:23 AM   #11

Unless modified from new, a Holiday Rambler Navigator should have a sophisticated enough Inverter/Charger to maintain both House and Chassis.

If both house and chassis batteries are only one year old, then you could have:

> As mentioned, a bad Chassis battery (This happens, with a cell going out.)

> A good Chassis battery, that was not charged. This would indicate that the Magnum is not getting juice to the Chassis battery. Could be as easy as a reset of the unit, or replacement of a fuse. (Many Magnum's have inline fuses feeding both Chassis and House battery charging legs.)

You could, sounds like you are, buying new Chassis battery. If the existing one year old battery is not bad, that could be a waste of money. Getting it charged back up, and see if it will still maintain a change. Sure, draining a battery can shorten it's life, but it does not mean the battery is completely shot yet! As mentioned, adding a stand alone charger to bring the chassis battery back up to full charge. And or taking it out and taking it/them into a shop to be load tested, could save you some coin.

Either way, bad battery cell - yep replace the battery. If they're two, and it is only one year old, then I'd probably only replace the one with the bad cell. If they are say 2 years old, then I would personally replace them both as a pair, as sooner or later, that older battery will bring the newer one down as it degrades in performance.

And also staying on the them of either way. If the batteries test OK, then you need to debut why the Chassis battery is not being charged. Fuses, reset the Inverter/Charger, review you Magnum settings. Magnum tech support is very helpful in walking thru various issues, and suspect they would be able to assist.

If the Chassis battery is not being charged by your Magnum when plugged into shore power, you will just ruing another set of new Chassis Batteries...

And your coach, again as mentioned, should have a 'battery switch' in the cockpit area. This allows you to hold the switch, wait a good 30 seconds to let things simmer, and then try to start the coach while still holding the battery switch on.

Best of luck to you, and please come back and post root cause - as it could help others down the road!
Smitty

Note: My chassis battery when dead on us. Magnum MS2812, and BMS component, and it was the inline fuse to the chassis battery that had blown.
Smitty77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:31 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset4k View Post
Hi Folks. Have a question. Have my DP plugged into shore power. It's been sitting for about a month since we retuned from last trip. Getting ready for next trip today and it appears batteries are dead as a door nail. Won't even turn over. Both coach and house batteries are less than a year old and water was added just a month ago to the batteries that require it. The only thing I noticed was the Aladdin Monitor screen was on and it may have been on for a while as. I checked the electrical status and it shows

House Battery VDC. 13.0. AMP. 1 Chg

AC Leg 1. VAC. 123. AMP. Off
AC Leg 2. VAC. 123. AMP. Off
No AC Power SelecTed

I'm surprised the Aladdin is even working with house batteries appearing to be dead. Checked batter cut off switch and it is on.

Am I dealing with just dead batteries??
If you are plugged in and your Aladdin is showing Off in the AMP columns I'd suspect the transfer switch.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:12 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Unless modified from new, a Holiday Rambler Navigator should have a sophisticated enough Inverter/Charger to maintain both House and Chassis.
It has nothing to do with the inverter /charger. It's whether or not the coach is designed and equipped with a Battery Control Center of some type that can selectively switch the coach batteries in parallel for charging as needed. BIRD, Intellitec BCC, RV Custom Products BCC, or similar. It may seem surprising, but more than a few coaches lack this capability.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
It has nothing to do with the inverter /charger. It's whether or not the coach is designed and equipped with a Battery Control Center of some type that can selectively switch the coach batteries in parallel for charging as needed. BIRD, Intellitec BCC, RV Custom Products BCC, or similar. It may seem surprising, but more than a few coaches lack this capability.
My 2002 Holiday Rambler Imperial has a Battery Maintainer that keeps the Chassis batteries charged. It has one of these. The LE-415 RV-Battery-Maintainer - The Product

It was not working when I purchased the MH. The coach batteries would be fine while hooked to shore power over the winter but the chassis batteries would die. I found a bad ground wire on it and it has kept the chassis batteries charged ever since.

Tags
battery