RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2016, 07:56 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Question Battery Question

RE my 2014 Discovery, are the chassis batteries supposed to charge when the coach is on shore power? The coach has been parked and on shore power since mid-November and now the chassis batteries are pretty low. The house batteries are ok but the 12V system apparently works off the chassis batteries. 50 amp system is ok as fridge is running fine. I have charged the chassis batteries and they seem to be ok now. I had left the coach battery on-off switches in the "on" position. Anyone have thoughts on this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2016, 10:13 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Call the mfg, they'll tell you how it should work.

Different manufacturers (and sometimes differences even within the model lines) use different approaches.

Some deploy for the chassis battery:

- a trickle charger, like a
FREE SHIPPING — BatteryMINDer Plus Charger/Maintainer/Desulfator — 1.3 Amp, 12 Volt, Model# 12117 | Battery Maintainers| Northern Tool + Equipment
This converts 120vac to 12vdc

- an amp-l-start
AMP-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer - Overview Page
This diverts some power from the house batteries (which are charged by your converter), and charges the chassis batteries.

- turn on the charge solenoid or BIRD, which periodically connects the two battery banks together.

- some coaches don't have anything

Your mfg can tell you how your coach was built.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:23 AM   #3

X2 what Kiawah posted.

My gas coach maintains charge on house and chassis batteries when plugged in or on generator. I don't have solar panels.

To maintain charge it utilizes:

A converter to convert 120 volt AC to 12 volt DC

A B.I.R.D. module that compares battery voltages, ignition voltage, converter voltage to determine which, if any, batteries need to be charged.

An isolation relay to connect/disconnect house and chassis batteries based on input from BIRD module.

Your coach is probably different than mine. So knowing how your system is setup is key to diagnosing your issue.

Please post what you find out so others may benefit from your experience.

Maybe a Discovery owner will post here to assist you.

Tags
battery