Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2016, 10:25 PM   #1

Battery Removal

I need to do some maintenance on my battery tray. I'm in a campground hooked to 50 amp. I've removed the batteries before but I wasn't living in the motorhome. Once the batteries are removed can I turn on the 50 amp connection again? It will take a few days to complete the work.
Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2016, 04:25 AM   #2

I can't address your question directly but will offer another tip that I use when disconnecting any vehicle chassis battery. I know some will disagree with me on the necessity of this procedure, but I'd rather play it safe to avoid any potential problems.

So what I do BEFORE I disconnect the chassis battery is I connect a fully charged 12V, OBDII Memory Saver to the OBDII connector under the dash to prevent and protect the computer system, settings and ECM. The small little 9V memory savers that you plug into a cigarette lighter/power plug are not adequate and especially when you will have the batteries disconnected for an extended period of time. This memory saver—could—SAVE you a lot of grief. I know your 2002 unit doesn't have as sophisticated computer system as some of the newer models do, but these ECM's can be very sensitive. Attached are 2 pic's of the unit I use. I ended up finding it online with Pepboys for $48.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	memory-saver-box.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	146676   Click image for larger version

Name:	memory-saver-unit.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	388.9 KB
ID:	146677  

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:55 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I assume since you referenced battery tray, that you are talking about your house batteries.

No, at a minimum you need to have a 12v battery connected.

You have 12v devices inside the coach, (lights, spyder system, tank monitors, furnace controls, water pump, fans, etc) that continue to work on 12v. They will draw from the house battery, while your converter (charger) will replenish that power to the battery. The battery acts as a huge sink, stabilizing the 12v charge and usage currents.

At a minimum, you could get by with a standard 12v car battery.

Another alternative which I really wouldn't recommend if you don't know what you are doing, is to jumper across your charge solenoid. The charge solenoid connects your chassis batteries to your house batteries when the engine is running, allowing the alternator to charge up your house batteries. If you jumpered across that solenoid, then your house device would be using your chassis batteries, and your converter would be recharging your chassis battery.

A different alternative, would be to place either a 12v battery, or two of the 6 volt batteries in series, on a board on the ground outside the coach, and use a set of jumper cables to extend from the battery bay out to the batteries. There isn't a HUGE amount of current those normal devices will draw, but I would worry about bumping the cables and having them pop off their connections. If you could find a way to use battery cables where they don't pop off or touch, that would work as well.

Remember that the house battery cables would continue to have 12v on them, and capable of delivering a huge spark if touched. Remember also that your converter has configuration settings indicating the size of the battery bank it is charging, so it knows at what rate to charge it. You should adjust that setting so you don't overcharge whatever battery you are using.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:01 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
It's very possible that your converter would be fine without a battery hooked up. If you have another 12 volt battery from a car/boat etc it might be better to hook it up as suggested. Without the battery you may get some surging. Some people that never move and only use shore power don't worry about the batteries at all.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:29 AM   #5

Interesting question--believe most of the respondents so far are over-thinking this. Most everything 12v in the coach is use to being turn off for extended periods--think storage. Agree, some 120v appliances also have 12v components [eg, water heater, rv refridge, and propane furnace]. Only concern I have is for the inverter--if you leave shore power on, you need to disable the charger function. Also, some inverters have an "auto-charge" menu function [like the Xantrax RS2000] that will restart the charger function if shore power is disrupted and then restored....
PS -- suggest taking a picture of the cable config. before you dismantle. Be sure to pay particular attention to the chassis and engine ground cables--easy to forget.
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:36 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Interesting question--believe most of the respondents so far are over-thinking this. Most everything 12v in the coach is use to being turn off for extended periods--think storage. Agree, some 120v appliances also have 12v components [eg, water heater, rv refridge, and propane furnace]
Quote:
It will take a few days to complete the work.
Since he said would be working on it for days, made the assumption that he'd need to have his 12v inside the coach working.....otherwise he wouldn't have made that statement.

Sure, if he wants to turn the converter off and have no 12v inside for days to run furnace/hotwater/fans/lights/refrig, then he doesn't need to hook up a battery.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:45 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I had the same issue. I built a scaffold and set up two batteries to keep the 12V running inside the coach. I was not living in it but my down time was spread out over a couple weeks. I was doing a total rebuild, working only on the weekends.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0686.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	146683  
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, M&G 2.0 Proportional Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:42 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
Sure, if he wants to turn the converter off and have no 12v inside for days to run furnace/hotwater/fans/lights/refrig, then he doesn't need to hook up a battery.

Most if not all converters won't be damaged by having them on without a battery. I tried to search and find someone that just thought they damaged their converter by not having a battery hooked up ..... The converter is going to output voltage/current if a battery is hooked up or not.
I have found many post of people that run without batteries.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Most if not all converters won't be damaged by having them on without a battery. I tried to search and find someone that just thought they damaged their converter by not having a battery hooked up ..... The converter is going to output voltage/current if a battery is hooked up or not.
Same here. My research show that " converters " are regulated power supplies first and then also charge batteries.

Many users shut off the " Salesman Switch " and continue to use their 12 volt items, while on shore power.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:53 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
And if you'd like to risk doing that, have at it.

I'm an electrical engineer, and previously built Mil-Spec power supplies, DC to AC, DC to DC inverters, etc. The financial risk associated with not having a battery as a voltage sink is huge, thousand bucks for the converter, and any of the control boards for devices (furnaces, refrig, spyder controls, etc) are at risk. The batteries will minimize voltage spikes high or low. Converters aren't built to quickly increase/decrease on-demand currents as devices turn on/off. They shift between bulk/absorb/float charging based on the battery voltage. In my book, not attaching a battery is an unnecessary risk that I would never recommend anyone taking....particularly when there are easy solutions. Add the labor time and hassle factor of things breaking and having to get them fixed, and it's not worth the risk.

As an example from doc for a typical inverter/converter, it shows that it changes between forcing current levels (varying voltage to do so), and forcing voltage levels (varying current to do so):
The Charge mode provides up to four separate charging stages: Bulk Charging, Absorb Charging, Float Charging and Full Charge (Figure 3-7).

Bulk Charging: This is the initial stage of charging. While bulk charging, the charger supplies the battery with controlled constant current. The charger remains in bulk charge until the absorption charge voltage (determined by the Battery Type selection*) is achieved. The inverter’s green LED stays ON (solid) to indicate bulk charging.

Absorb Charging: This is the second charging stage and begins after the absorb voltage has been reached. Absorb charging provides the batteries with a constant voltage and reduces the DC charging current in order to maintain the absorb voltage setting. The inverter’s green LED flashes once every second (medium flash) to indicate absorption charging for 2 hours (determined by the Battery AmpHrs selection*), then switches to float charging.

Float Charging: The third charging stage occurs at the end.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	57
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	146692  
Old 12-14-2016, 08:32 AM   #11

Here is some info on a "converter".

[http://img04]

Part # :*49-7354**|**Manufacturer # :*WF-9865, 19-0592

UPC # :816227010230

Description

The versatile, advanced power source solutions. Output ratings of 35, 45, 55, 65, 75 and 100A are available.

Clean power even without filtering from a battery.

Quiet operation and convenient deck-mount installation. Automatic three-stage charging provides superior 12V system performance and ideal charge and maintenance of your battery. Output: Absorption 13.6 VDC (includes charging and load); Bulk 14.4 V DC; Float 13.2V DC. 5-7/8"W x 3-16/17"H x 8-19/25"D. 5.67 lbs. UL, cUL; also FCC Class B.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:30 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I doubt that anyone recommending running without a battery, would put up a CC to support their idea if there is a problem. Therefore since it's the OP that retains all the risk associated with any of these recommendations, I stick with mine to run the electrical system "as designed" which you know works, with a battery attached.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
It's very possible that your converter would be fine without a battery hooked up. If you have another 12 volt battery from a car/boat etc it might be better to hook it up as suggested. Without the battery you may get some surging. Some people that never move and only use shore power don't worry about the batteries at all.

converters act weird and wont last running without a battery
now not knowing exactly what he has if your running a diesel pusher like me and have the 3000 watt inverter 3 stage charger combo system
you absolutely must have a flow through battery hooked up when pluged in
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
I had the same issue. I built a scaffold and set up two batteries to keep the 12V running inside the coach. I was not living in it but my down time was spread out over a couple weeks. I was doing a total rebuild, working only on the weekends.
Yes, i was thinking that for just a few days, simply put one of the batteries close by within "jumper" reach. Maybe not jumper cables but heavy wire securely attached between the battery's terminals and the coach's cables. If the batteries are 6 volts, then of course two would need to be wired in series to make 12 volts.

Tags
battery, removal