Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2021, 02:10 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Foretravel Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Battery shut off switches in a Class A

I am fairly new to RVing and recently purchased a 2021 Tiffin Phaeton. My question is when do I use the battery shut offs for the chassis batteries and the coach batteries. I also have solar on my coach with a Jaboni regulator. I recently used the shut offs for both the chassis and coach batteries and came back in two weeks and the coach batteries were dead. I am doing something wrong but don't know what. Any suggestions.
fcurci is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2021, 02:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcurci View Post
I am fairly new to RVing and recently purchased a 2021 Tiffin Phaeton. My question is when do I use the battery shut offs for the chassis batteries and the coach batteries. I also have solar on my coach with a Jaboni regulator. I recently used the shut offs for both the chassis and coach batteries and came back in two weeks and the coach batteries were dead. I am doing something wrong but don't know what. Any suggestions.
Well, there must be some parasitic drain if you shut them off and the batteries still went dead.

Unless you are doing some work on the coach or chassis, just leave them on. If you have solar and are in the sun, depending on how much solar and sun, the batteries will stay charged. I leave mine on all the time to maintain my batteries when on a shore power cord. Additionally, On solar, my charge controller will charge even with the batteries to the coach disconnected at the switch, but I still leave it on almost all the time. If you don't have shore power in storage and don't have solar in storage and you plan to store it for a long time (few weeks or more) then I would definitely disconnect both switches to avoid a slow drain and damage from over discharge. If they drain with the switches off, then you have some type of parasitic drain that is connected before the switch. You need to find that to avoid damaging your batteries in storage. Or, just keep it in the sun. Good luck!
Old 04-20-2021, 06:01 PM   #3

Since the RV is new, I'd go back to the dealership where you bought it for answers.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:52 PM   #4

Battery shut off switches in a Class A

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcurci View Post

Make sure your inverter is also turned off at the Spyder panel. The inverter will drain the batteries quickly if not turned off.
gandl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:39 PM   #5

I don't know if you have the same wiring setup as mine but my inverter is hooked up after the coach battery disconnect so it goes off as does my firefly system (digital control) when switch is off.

As far as going to the dealer since it is new, good advice if you are very very patient and love to leave your coach for months at a time! Just joking around. I hate taking my coach to the "stealer".

Some people found things like an underhood light that was on and connected right to the chassis batteries or like mine, the LED light and step motor are connected to the chassis batteries. Sometimes it is miswired. Sometimes it is a short....walls shake, wires move, screws are sharp, wires can short inside walls....
Old 04-20-2021, 11:41 PM   #6

One more thing. I had a friend with a brand new coach that came with the solar charge controller wired backwards and it was draining the batteries.

If you have solar, in the sun, disconnect the batteries and it is going dead, you might want to diagnose the solar system. Solar should keep those batteries topped off.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:21 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Foretravel Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for the good info everyone, really appreciate it.
fcurci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:49 AM   #8

The battery switches installed in most coaches do not disconnect the batteries from all loads. They work ok for a couple of days when the coach is not being used. For long term storage you should install battery disconnect switches , that will totally disconnect the battery from all loads. All your memory settings of the electronics memories will be lost .
Old 04-21-2021, 08:01 AM   #9

When you say disconnect switches I assume small convenience type by entrance not large rotary ones near battery. You have answer for house battery it doesn't disconnect the inverter ,detectors.,furnace in most cases , 12v control to fridge LP fridge if equipped other control power .
I'm more surprised/troubled the chassis battery went dead if that one was off ,something it doesn't shut may have be left on. Or both sets of batteries/systems are not properly separated.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:08 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My MH has a LP Leak Detector that stays powered even with the master switch in the OFF position. There is a separate switch to disable this sensor. I have read that this sensor could easily drain the battery if left ON.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
Since the RV is new, I'd go back to the dealership where you bought it for answers.
X2 - use your warranty power and you could even call the factory tech support.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 06:23 AM   #12

You also need to find out where your solar feeds into the DC system. If it's at a convenient buss after the shutoff it won't charge the batteries when you shut them off.

Your solar controller should show power produced. On a sunny day run a few things off the batteries for awhile to draw them down some. Then shut off the batteries and see how much power the panels are feeding into the system. If it's just a couple of amps that's probably detectors and the always on circuits. If it's close to the rated power of the array they're charging the batteries.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 06:40 AM   #13

2020 Breeze storage procedure

I have a 2020 Breeze and when storing I turn off the chassis disconnect, the inverter disconnect, and the house battery disconnect. The Jaboni solar is wired direct to the battery. I turn it on at at the Jaboni remote and my house batteries stay charged.

Tags
battery, class a, switch