Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2021, 11:31 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Battery Tender

I’ve used a trickle-charger in my cars when gone for periods of time, and favor the one that charges through the cigarette lighter.

Can I use this type of trickle charger in my Class A, as I’ll be leaving it at my daughter’s house for 2 months?
JR S is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2021, 12:49 AM   #2

I have a number of Battery Tenders and I've found that plugging into the cigarette lighter is not reliable. There is a spring in the center pin of the plug, and that connection is problematic.
Using the battery clips to connect directly to the battery is MUCH better.

Note that you have two battery systems - house and chassis. Unless you have a device that charges one from the other you'll need to jumper one battery to the other, or use two Tenders.
On my old beast the batteries are side by side, and I just use a clip lead across the charge splitter.

Mike
Old 10-02-2021, 04:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR S View Post
I’ve used a trickle-charger in my cars when gone for periods of time, and favor the one that charges through the cigarette lighter.

Can I use this type of trickle charger in my Class A, as I’ll be leaving it at my daughter’s house for 2 months?

Yes, but use one with at least a 2 amp.
Old 10-02-2021, 04:34 AM   #4
YC1

Sure but you need to remember you have two banks of batteries.

I suspect with your rv that you have some sort of programmable charger? If you have an EMS that is programmable just program it to charge at 10% and turn off everything in the coach not needed.

Of course if you are not completely confident in doing so an external charger will take the worries out of the issue.

You likely have battery cutoff switches and should use those for sure. You don't want to come back with ruined batteries.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:09 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I’ve always wondered what the logic was in storing a coach in a location that has 120 v you need to hook up a battery tender. Why not just plug the coach in to 120 and let the inverter/charger do what is designed to do. After just replacing my inverter/charger, I did a little checking with a meter to follow the charge profiles. It is designed to go through a series of steps to condition the batteries during long periods of storage. Makes no sense to me as between the charger, the bird and the trickle start built in it is worry free.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:32 AM   #6

Wonder no more.

I have read, on this site, of storage places not allowing RV plug-ins but are OK with battery maintaners.
The place has limited power and some folks get greedy, tripping out a whole circuit.

Another issue is most storage places require GFCI outlets or breakers by code. There are many RVs that trip them either right away or randomly.
A simple battery maintainer typically does not trip GFCIs.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:56 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I leave both of my RVs plugged into 120v 15a for months. Batteries years later are good but you must add distilled water at least every 6 months.
Old 10-02-2021, 12:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Wonder no more.

I have read, on this site, of storage places not allowing RV plug-ins but are OK with battery maintaners.
The place has limited power and some folks get greedy, tripping out a whole circuit.

Another issue is most storage places require GFCI outlets or breakers by code. There are many RVs that trip them either right away or randomly.
A simple battery maintainer typically does not trip GFCIs.
EXACTLY!
The other consideration is some storage locations (mine) will charge extra if plugging in MH but won't charge for just a maintainer.

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 01:43 PM   #9
US1

I use the Battery Tender Jr. I rather use a $30 item that does just 1 thing vs the more complex and costly rv unit.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:40 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
I use the Battery Tender Jr. I rather use a $30 item that does just 1 thing vs the more complex and costly rv unit.
That was my thought…is your tender the type that plugs into the cig lighter? I have a second one that would clamp onto the battery posts of the chassis batteries, but unsure about the process given two chassis batteries (which is why I was asking about the cig lighter option.)
JR S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:36 AM   #11

If you plan on using the cigarette lighter check it for voltage with the key off. If there isn't any it won't charge the batteries.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:39 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Just a caution: those 12v "utility outlets" (aka cigarette lighters) may be connected to either house or chassis batteries, so take note of which one you are "maintaining". In my experience an outlet in the dash is usually powered from the chassis 12v system, but others are connected to the house system. And maybe you want both?

Also, if you like you can connect the maintainer to one battery bank and simply add a jumper from that Positive to post to the positive on the other bank. That will parallel them (the ground side is already cross-connected thru the chassis).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 12:59 PM   #13
US1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR S View Post
That was my thought…is your tender the type that plugs into the cig lighter? I have a second one that would clamp onto the battery posts of the chassis batteries, but unsure about the process given two chassis batteries (which is why I was asking about the cig lighter option.)
No on the cig adapter. The Battery Tender Jr comes with leads that either connect directly to the battery posts or a buss bar if available, and a set of clamp on wire leads. I prefer the wired leads for a more secure attachment. I just put a jumper wire from the coach to the chassis banks so all are maintained while tucked away for the winter.
Old 10-03-2021, 01:36 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Except for good 1-1/2 hr. maintenance runs, the coach hasn't been camping for the last 18 months. It's stored inside with 15 A service, adapted to the coache's 50 A cord. Inverter/charger charges the house batteries. I added a Amp-L-Start unit that senses when the house batts are charged and automatically switches charger over to the chassis batts. Works good...until the 'Big Boy' solenoid died - replaced and back to charging both banks.

AMP-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer - Overview Page Comes with excellent installation instructions.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery