Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2016, 09:13 AM   #1

Battery water level

I noticed that my battery cells are a little over filled. They water actually is past the plates and about 1/4" up into the plastic area where the caps snap into. Should I remove some of that water?
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2016, 09:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
I noticed that my battery cells are a little over filled. They water actually is past the plates and about 1/4" up into the plastic area where the caps snap into. Should I remove some of that water?
You want the acid/water to cover the plates, about 1/2 inch or so. You DO NOT want the plates to be exposed. Too much acid/water won't hurt anything other than corrode under battery should you have a spill. I overfilled one time and drove up a very steep incline...BAD...Acid spills can be neutralized with household baking soda. I ALWAYS keep a few boxes on hand just in case.
Searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:23 AM   #3

It needs to be over the plates.

The 1/4" shouldn't be a problem. Just keep an eye on them. If they seem wet on top, rinse it off with clear water.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:31 AM   #4

Simple answer ; yes . Overfilled cells can bubble out across the top of the battery during charging; corroding connections and wiring.

BUT; the liquid is no longer water, it's an acid solution and must be handled with caution , and disposed of carefully.
Pick up a battery filling device from , NAPA/Auto Zone ; looks like a turkey baster ; put any removed liquid in a container and neutralize with some baking soda, then flush the tool and container with water

Avoid contact with skin and clothing.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
battery oil

Previous motor home had constant problems with cable corrosion and low water. I added a little mineral oil in each cell of the four 6 volt batteries and would adjust the water level once a year and had zero corrosion problems. Airplane batteries have oil added so why not RV's?
The first use of mineral oil in batteries was along rail lines when communication was Morse Code. The batteries were at the top of the poles and had evaporation problems. RR's had battery watering crews walking the tracks refilling the batteries. The addition of mineral oil transformed the industry. The now standard sealed no service batteries of today while not using mineral oil have a synthetic oil floating on the acid.
Dilligas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:02 AM   #6

Well I thought I'd do a hydrometer test. The battery of the left had good readings on 5 cells (all the beads floated) but had 1 cell bad. On the battery to right, no beads floated at all. That tells me that battery is no good. Looks like time for 2 new batteries.

I have been chasing a charging problem but this seems to tell the story. I've had the coach only 7 weeks or so and have been going through all the systems and now I'm to the electrical systems/batteries.

So, I have in there now 2 - Marine RV Deep Cycle, SRM-24, 690 MCA, 140 RC for the house batteries which when I searched seem to be 12 volts each. After reading much on this subject in past and everyones opinions, I have the money so how about just buying these:
GPL-24T 12 Volt, 80 Amp Hour Deep Cycle AGM
I'm thinking of these because DW & I will be doing a lot of traveling in a few months and quite possibly some boon docking so this should give use plenty of hours.

But then again I can't seem to find these Lifelines anywhere here in houston. I'm open for suggestions.

These are my batteries now:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...9&d=1479520703
And, is there any special procedure to changing out these batteries other than, disconnecting from shore power, turning off the batteries at the disconnect switch, and then removing the neg. cable 1st? I know with changing the chassis battery you can have computer memory issues if you don't apply supplement power prior to changing out.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:04 PM   #7

I've decided to get replace with the same batteries I have.

thx
Old 11-20-2016, 02:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
I've decided to get replace with the same batteries I have.

thx
Good Idea

Tags
battery, water