Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2016, 07:21 PM   #1

Battery Watering System

Looking at installing the Qwik-Fill system on my 4 house batteries, the present batteries are NAPA BCI #31. Does anyone use this system, and does it work as advertised. Anyone know of any problems installing on the NAPA batteries? Seem to remember reading somewhere that the system was not compatible with the NAPA batteries for some reason.
Thank you.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2016, 07:28 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I used it on my last coach and it works very well. Should be compatible as you cut the tubing to fit. Much easier to simply pump the water from a jug once a month than having to take off the caps, fill the cell, replace the cap, go to the next cell, repeat.....

Worth it!
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:23 PM   #3

Looks like probably around $150 for 3 batteries plus the hand pump. Might have to take a closer look at it.
Baggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:11 AM   #4

I installed on the 3 coach batteries we have. I thought it was overpriced, but liked it so much I installed another one on the chassis battery.

Once I got past the sticker shock, I liked it.

I am sometimes lazy, so:

Easier to check battery levels = me checking more often.

Not sure about the NAPA BCI #31 fit. If the cap spacing is different than "standard" battery it may be an issue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RV batteries.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	142855

Yellow circle is cap for 3 cells, if this won't fit your battery then no worky.
Green circle is black tubing connector between cell caps, this is cut to fit so should work on your batteries.

The one I have is for automotive battery, they make them for RV batteries. This one says it will fit 31 series batteries in the customer questions area.

https://www.amazon.com/Flow-Rite-RV2...atering+system

The cell plugs are individual not banked in three's. So spacing is adjustable.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:41 AM   #5

I have this https://flow-rite.com/battery-wateri...rv/pro-fill-rv on my 4 6volt since 2006 and have had great luck. I do think it retails for lessw than mentioned here and I will attest to their CS.

2007 Excel, 30RSO, Demco Glide Ride, B&W Companion.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:10 AM   #6

Or you can just put a tablespoon of mineral oil in each cell and never have to worry about it.

No need to spend hundreds of dollars, spend all that time and effort to install a watering system orr keep buying and adding water.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:16 PM   #7

Why do RVs not have AGM batteries in them?
Baggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:30 PM   #8

I agree with Murf2u. This 100 year old method is still the best way to help prevent corrosion around wet cell batteries and the loss of water over time.

All you do is add 2 oz of 3-in-1 oil in each cell at your next battery servicing. What it does is IF the charging system tends to overcharge, a bubble of gas is formed on a plate. Eventually it detaches from the plate and rises to the surface where it bursts. This bursting action flings acid into the air inside the battery, which migrates out the vents, and causes corrosion wherever it meets metal.

What the mineral oil does is prevent the violent 'burst' from the bubble. Makes it much more gentle. So much less acid mixes with air, which means much less corrosion. It also prevents or reduces evaporation of the water in the cells due to charging and ambient temperature.

OP has a newer RV so likely has a 'Smart' charging system, so even random occasional overcharging is unlikely...though he should read his manual.

On my old RV, I always put mineral oil in the cells. Eventually, stopped checking them regularly, because they were always fine and seldom needed water. Also, no corrosion to speak of. So I'd only look once a year or so.

In my newer RV, it has the smart charger, and there's little corrosion to see, and water levels are staying fine. But...I will add mineral oil eventually. It just works.

AGM batts are expensive, over $250 each. I got 6V heavy duty golf cart batteries from Costco for $85 each. Expect they will last 7-10 years. Two for less than one AGM batt.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:37 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Love it !
the kit on mine is adjustable for any spacing on the caps.
https://smile.amazon.com/Flow-Rite-R...+rite+water+rv

the pic below is on my old L-16's and it fits the trojan replacements just fine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-12 023.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	142908  
Old 10-28-2016, 02:48 PM   #10

Perhaps this issue has been resolved by now but early on--there was a problem for certain types/models of battery where the height of the cell plates vs the battery top. In some cases, the probe on the watering system cap was too long and rested on top of the plates--kept system from detecting water levels and allowing water to enter the cells, even though they were low.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:44 PM   #11

I do have a "smart charger", but with the location of the batteries even trying to look in them to check the level with a mirror is difficult.
Old Scout - that is what I was thinking - the NAPA battery caps are flush mounted at the top of the battery (thread into the case) - don't have the threads above the case for the caps - makes me wonder if they will work.
Thanks
Old 10-29-2016, 03:27 AM   #12
RV LIFE Support Team

if you find a system that will work on the NAPA batteries please post back. We went through this exercise last year and could not get any system to work The mfgs. sent us samples but nothing would work.

We kept th samples so when the batteries need to be replaced we can try a system out before purchase(we hope).

Never heard of the mineral oil in a battery before. Are there any negatives??

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:15 AM   #13

As mentioned earlier, the problem with differing plate height first appeared when our coach manufacturer went from Interstate U2200 to U2400s. The clearance above the plates was less with the U2400s so the cap probes rested on top of the plates--blocking water from being added.
There is a lot of history on adding mineral oil to bats. I understand most [all] battery manufacturers don't advocate using it but they have ulterior motives for not extending battery life. Personally, I don't use oil in new batteries but as they age, they tend to use more water. So at some point, I add oil to extend their life--seems to reduce water usage and keeps battery compartment cleaner.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Never heard of the mineral oil in a battery before. Are there any negatives??

The battery companies don't make as much money from you.

I've been oiling batteries my whole life, my dad and grandfather before me, never found a negative to doing it yet. My coach is plugged in 24/7 unless I'm driving it. The batteries are 5 or 6 years old, they're still full and I've never added a drop of water to them.

Tags
battery, water