Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2018, 11:02 AM   #1

BAUER EM ALSENTIS Lock

Hi all,
Looking for feedback on this lock. With all the reports of the Trimark locks breaking I want to replace it. Thinking a touch pad combo lock would be best.

THe RV Lock wont fit and all I can find is the BAUER EM ALSENTIS lock. Read some reports about the battery dying out fast.

So looking for some feedback of owners of this lock. Good bad anything.

Thanks for the help.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2018, 05:11 AM   #2

This is what we now have after the trimark broke on a trip. Our 2015 ACE is quite happy with the new lock and it fit the hole perfectly. The lock is slightly smaller than the old lock so there is a small gap in the decals where they were cut for the original. I could run a small bead of caulk around to hide it but it is not that noticeable. The included striker plate is the same as the old one and that is good because when they built the MH they made it really hard to remove the striker plate so I just left the old one. I had to replace the batteries after about 8 months so whatever. When the batteries start getting low the lock will not lock, only unlock so you are warned and you always have the keys. The latch is also "pot metal" but does not have the super weak design of the trimark so I have no problem with it. Overall I am happy with the Bauer and only wish I had heard about the trimark problems before it broke. I would recommend to anyone with the trimark to change it out before it breaks. Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04fxsts View Post
This is what we now have after the trimark broke on a trip. Our 2015 ACE is quite happy with the new lock and it fit the hole perfectly. The lock is slightly smaller than the old lock so there is a small gap in the decals where they were cut for the original. I could run a small bead of caulk around to hide it but it is not that noticeable. The included striker plate is the same as the old one and that is good because when they built the MH they made it really hard to remove the striker plate so I just left the old one. I had to replace the batteries after about 8 months so whatever. When the batteries start getting low the lock will not lock, only unlock so you are warned and you always have the keys. The latch is also "pot metal" but does not have the super weak design of the trimark so I have no problem with it. Overall I am happy with the Bauer and only wish I had heard about the trimark problems before it broke. I would recommend to anyone with the trimark to change it out before it breaks. Jim.
Jim which latch are you referring to that is pot metal. The one that usally breaks?? When speaking to the Bauer rep she said for the part that breaks on the trimark they use a zinc alloy. So breaking isn't a problem

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 08-15-2018, 06:12 AM   #4

The Trimark and the Bauer both have zinc metal latches, unless you buy the steel replacement from Trimark about $140. There is nothing wrong with using a zinc alloy in the proper applications, the Trimark problem is the design of the latch is very weak. There is a solid section that is the latch end and where the spring pushes against it to keep it latched. The other end is also solid where the handle pushes against it to open. In the middle section there are only two skinny little sections that connect the ends. This is where the lock breaks in this weak part. The spring holds the latch end closed but the handle just pushes against the un-attached end. If it was steel that material will have the strength necessary and will probably never break.
A different design without this weak section could be made of ZA and never have a problem. Or it could also be made of steel and never break, but steel costs more. My opinion, there should be a recall on these and yes I did report it to the NHSTA or whatever those letters are. If we had a fire and the lock broke there is no way my wife and I could have gotten ourselves and our two dogs out in time. The fact Trimark is still making and selling locks with a known safety issue I decided I would replace it with a different brand. Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04fxsts View Post
The Trimark and the Bauer both have zinc metal latches, unless you buy the steel replacement from Trimark about $140. There is nothing wrong with using a zinc alloy in the proper applications, the Trimark problem is the design of the latch is very weak. There is a solid section that is the latch end and where the spring pushes against it to keep it latched. The other end is also solid where the handle pushes against it to open. In the middle section there are only two skinny little sections that connect the ends. This is where the lock breaks in this weak part. The spring holds the latch end closed but the handle just pushes against the un-attached end. If it was steel that material will have the strength necessary and will probably never break.
A different design without this weak section could be made of ZA and never have a problem. Or it could also be made of steel and never break, but steel costs more. My opinion, there should be a recall on these and yes I did report it to the NHSTA or whatever those letters are. If we had a fire and the lock broke there is no way my wife and I could have gotten ourselves and our two dogs out in time. The fact Trimark is still making and selling locks with a known safety issue I decided I would replace it with a different brand. Jim.
thanks Jim. I'm most likely going with the Bauer lock even though I haven't had a problems with the trimark. I'm trying to stop a problem before it happens and I like the push button lock. Will most likely order it when I get back from my trip. We leave Friday for two weeks

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 08-15-2018, 10:33 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have had Bauer's previous model to the Sentis for years. Very happy with it.

The Sentis adds quick lock (just two buttons to lock).

Battery life is not a problem. Just don't leave batteries in the lock during storage for risk of battery leak/acid damage to the battery case.

The Bauer's lock bolt is an alloy, but has no "weak neck" break risk point like the Trimarks.

See our Install here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/outl...ml#post2405936

And if you have a painted door, you might need touch-up paint due to a different shape on the lock panel:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/outl...ml#post3415108

The old AND new Trimark locks are a ticking time bomb in my opinion...should be recalled and redesigned.
Imagine if the latch bolt breaks when there is an interior fire

Best luck!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote