RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2020, 11:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Has the body roll always been there or has it developed over time? If the latter, look at worn shocks.
Hard to tell.
I bought it used with 20k miles.
Just not hitting 24k

Been there since I've owners, it... Less than a year.
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2020, 09:21 PM   #16

I have a 2017 BSS. Based on 25,000 miles of travel, my list would be:
1. Set toe in at a truck alignment shop.
2. Set tire pressure at the Ford recommended psi
3. Balance all 6 wheel assemblies.
4. Center the front wheels on the hubs
5. Travel with a full water tank
6. Park it when the wind is over 30 mph.
7. If you haven't driven big vehicles before, give yourself some seat time to get familiar with how it handles.
I have no desire to change anything more.
OTOH, it's your MH, your money. Blast away.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:10 AM   #17

Re travelling with full water tank: I find this a very interesting point. I will have to try that, but I would suggest that one has to be aware of their total weight. So, I'm thinking I will be filling my tank at home and then drive over to the CAT scale and get an updated rating on my total weight. The last time I weighed my motorhome was shortly after purchasing it and loading it up with gear that stays in it. Since then, I've removed one couch, and the chair and small side cabinet I added weigh less than the couch. But, like most folks, some stuff has been added and some removed.

From the two posts, the result is added stability on the road. Has anyone observed improved ride quality by traveling with a full water tank. I ask this because I've read somewhere else that with some class C units, ride quality seems to be improved as you get close to maxing out the weight due to compression of the leaf springs, if I'm remembering what I read correctly. Could that be the case with the F52 chassis?
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:46 AM   #18

The water tank is mounted as low on the frame as possible. Filling it should not cause any stability issues. We are crossing the Mackinac bridge later today for the umpteenth time. The tank will be full to help counter the wind.
I agree that added weight will help the suspension flex as well. As an added bonus, I have arrived at rural parks that had no electricity (power failure). No electricity means no pump for well water! Nice to have my own.
Old 10-02-2020, 03:31 PM   #19

Well, I just came back from a trip and decided to try traveling with more water in the fresh water tank. I filled it to at least over 3/4's full and our trip back was about 88 miles. Winds weren't an issue and the roads are pretty good. There weren't a lot of trucks on the road but a few passed. My first impression that this tactic may be a valid one. Placebo effect? Who knows? But, I am going to get my axle weights again and then try some more trips with 3/4 to full water tank and see how it goes.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
Well, I just came back from a trip and decided to try traveling with more water in the fresh water tank. I filled it to at least over 3/4's full and our trip back was about 88 miles. Winds weren't an issue and the roads are pretty good. There weren't a lot of trucks on the road but a few passed. My first impression that this tactic may be a valid one. Placebo effect? Who knows? But, I am going to get my axle weights again and then try some more trips with 3/4 to full water tank and see how it goes.
Water weighs just over 8 pounds per gallon. My BSS has a 75 gallon tank so full to the top it adds about 600 pounds. Since the tank has an open overflow, a few right turns and it's probably closer to 500 pounds but it's located low on the chassis.
Adding weight below the center of mass will add stability by lowering the COM. Granted, 500 lbs in an 18,000 lb vehicle isn't much of a change.

Tags
bay star, suspension, upgrade