Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2020, 04:42 PM   #1

Bay Star Suspension upgrades - Rate these in order of importance

My 2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport has some serious body roll.
This wobble is nasty

Here are the suspension upgrades I am considering.
I'd like you to tell me what you feel is the most important:

Put these in order:

-Front stabilizer (anti sway bar)
-Rear stabilizer
-New (better) gas shocks
-Sumo springs
-Safe-T steering stabilizer
-Track bar

I'm hoping that the 2 sway bars will do the job, but if not, want to make my money last without going overboard o. The equipment.

Suggestions?
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2020, 05:53 PM   #2

1)-Safe-T steering stabilizer
2)-Front stabilizer (anti sway bar)
3)-New (better) gas shocks
4)-Track bar
5)-Sumo springs
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:14 PM   #3

Do the CHF, cheap handling fix, before spending any money.

It involves removing 2 bolts on the stock antiroll bars and installing them in the holes closer to the axle. Do that to both front and back. Take it for a long ride and see how it feels.

Your springs are heavy enough without adding Sumo springs.

You can research the CHF on this site.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:15 PM   #4

You coach has front and rear anti-sway bars from the factory. I assume you are asking about installing heavier or additional sway-bars. Is that correct?
W.J. Demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.J. Demo View Post
You coach has front and rear anti-sway bars from the factory. I assume you are asking about installing heavier or additional sway-bars. Is that correct?
Correct
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:08 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
1. Rear CHP
2. Front CHP
3. Sumo springs

The other items on your list have very limited to no effect on body roll or sway. As Twinboat suggested make the change as outlined in the thread regarding CHP and go drive the coach for at least a 1000 miles before moving to the next step which will involve spending money. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I've done everything on your list except adding an additional sway bar (CHP instead) and Sumo (I have airbags). CHP had the most dramatic effect regarding how the coach performed when moving and cost me nothing but time. Very, very noticeable improvement with sway and body roll. Next would be a track bar which helped with tail push by weather or passing vehicles. I did a steering stab last and really didn't feel much change or improvement.

I replacing the gas charged Bilstein shocks with non-gas Koni and had a noticeable effected with the ride improvement but no effect with body roll or sway. Improved the harsh shock of minor road defects that the Bilstein shocks seemed to transmit to the chassis rather than allowing the suspension to absorb. Potholes and general bad roads still rattle the dishes.

Also check the bushings holding the rear sway bar to the axle. The OEM installed bushings have a habit of melting at around year five leaving the bar unsupported in the brackets. The other bushings for both front and rear seem to last much longer.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:23 AM   #7

Safe T plus, Rear trackbar, F sway bar, R second SB, CHF oem rear SB. Your coach will be very stable after this and to reduce the harsh ride Koni FSD shocks and proper tire pressure.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:11 AM   #8

Cheep handling fix , track bar , air bags
stew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:32 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner View Post
My 2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport has some serious body roll.
This wobble is nasty

Here are the suspension upgrades I am considering.
I'd like you to tell me what you feel is the most important:

Put these in order:

-Front stabilizer (anti sway bar)
-Rear stabilizer
-New (better) gas shocks
-Sumo springs
-Safe-T steering stabilizer
-Track bar

I'm hoping that the 2 sway bars will do the job, but if not, want to make my money last without going overboard o. The equipment.

Suggestions?
We put Sumo Springs on all four corners.

Took total care of the body roll........and it was really bad.

Your other items listed take care of "other" symptoms. But body roll was the most prevalent factoring ours that needed to be corrected immediately.

Good luck,

g
Old 09-29-2020, 06:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
1. Rear CHP
2. Front CHP
3. Sumo springs

The other items on your list have very limited to no effect on body roll or sway. As Twinboat suggested make the change as outlined in the thread regarding CHP and go drive the coach for at least a 1000 miles before moving to the next step which will involve spending money. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I've done everything on your list except adding an additional sway bar (CHP instead) and Sumo (I have airbags). CHP had the most dramatic effect regarding how the coach performed when moving and cost me nothing but time. Very, very noticeable improvement with sway and body roll. Next would be a track bar which helped with tail push by weather or passing vehicles. I did a steering stab last and really didn't feel much change or improvement.

I replacing the gas charged Bilstein shocks with non-gas Koni and had a noticeable effected with the ride improvement but no effect with body roll or sway. Improved the harsh shock of minor road defects that the Bilstein shocks seemed to transmit to the chassis rather than allowing the suspension to absorb. Potholes and general bad roads still rattle the dishes.

Also check the bushings holding the rear sway bar to the axle. The OEM installed bushings have a habit of melting at around year five leaving the bar unsupported in the brackets. The other bushings for both front and rear seem to last much longer.
According to Koni, the shocks for my 2012 F53 chassis are twin tube low pressure gas shocks based upon this spec chart from Koni:

https://www.koni-na.com/CorporateSit...y-2019-(1).pdf

It's important for F53 chassis owners to really look at the specs for Koni shocks for their rigs as many are not the same as the highly respected hydraulic models. For those of us that have a choice between Koni or Billstein gas shocks (or other), it's impossible to tell which will make any improvement on ride quality. There is such a need for newer unbiased shock absorber testing aimed at the gas motorhome owner.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:44 AM   #11

Rear Anti-sway bar
Front alignment
Safe-T-Plus
Front Anti-sway bar
Trac bar
Shocks
Sumo Springs

Of course, every RV is different and your results may vary. Its also worth trying the CHF in place of the anti-sway bar upgrades.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:46 AM   #12

Has the body roll always been there or has it developed over time? If the latter, look at worn shocks. The rest of the parts don't readily wear out.

If it's always been there, then CHF, Rear track bar (if you don't already have one - I assume you already have a front one), Koni shocks. That should take care of things.

A wheel alignment isn't changed with the above mods. But an inspection and greasing of all components is a must as part of the first step. If the vehicle pulls or has irregular tire wear, then get an alignment done as first step.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:31 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
According to Koni, the shocks for my 2012 F53 chassis are twin tube low pressure gas shocks based upon this spec chart from Koni:

https://www.koni-na.com/CorporateSit...y-2019-(1).pdf,,,
Night and day difference between the gas change that Koni uses as compared to Bilstein. Once released from the shipping strap a Bilstein will expand to full length in about 10 seconds due to the gas charge which can complicate installation or removal. A Koni shock does nothing but sit there waiting for you to do something with it.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:00 AM   #14

We also had an issue with body roll and found that adding Sumo Springs to the front only was enough. A steering stabilizer, such as, a Safe-T-Plus or Roadmaster is another F53 chassis improvement that helps keep the coach steering centered and potentially mitigates steering control when a tire blow- out occurs, won't help with the roll but may stop an accident. The following is not a recommendation, but just something we have found to work for us: we always travel with a full fresh water tank and the weight just in-front of the drive wheels and at the lowest point of the coach, other than the tires, seems to add a great deal of stability especially when tractor trailers pass us on the expressway. The water acts as a ballast similar to what they added to the bottom of ocean going vessels in the past. I would expect the added weight from the water near the bottom of the coach would have an impact on body roll, to what extent would be hard to quantify.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bay star, suspension, upgrade