Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2021, 03:22 AM   #15

I think drivers have been increasingly aggressive each year for a couple of decades. Moreover, it seems to me that road and highway law enforcement dropped dramatically in 2020 and has never recovered. Driving etiquette has been on a downward spiral ever since.

It didn't used to be the normal a decade ago. Sure I'm older at 57 and this could of course be my imagination, but I don't think so. I deal with it by keeping my speed constant as possible and just a little slower than the average speed. I fiind the drive more pleasant if most of the traffic is passing me.

The only ones that really bother me at that point are the ones who for whatever reason intentionally slow down so I'll have to pass, then pass me on the right and hold me in the left lane unable to get around them. This of course makes a line of cars piling up behind me mad as hornets. I don't really understand the pleasure some seem to get from doing that. I actually had a woman in a Honda Accord on our last trip who would do this over and over, and you could see a smile on her face as she would glance over. Eventually she would get in front of me and get way ahead then slow down and do it all again. I finally slowed down almost to a crawl behind her refusing to pass. She finally got bored with that and moved on.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2021, 09:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traygar View Post
I think drivers have been increasingly aggressive each year for a couple of decades. Moreover, it seems to me that road and highway law enforcement dropped dramatically in 2020 and has never recovered. Driving etiquette has been on a downward spiral ever since.

It didn't used to be the normal a decade ago. Sure I'm older at 57 and this could of course be my imagination, but I don't think so. I deal with it by keeping my speed constant as possible and just a little slower than the average speed. I fiind the drive more pleasant if most of the traffic is passing me.

The only ones that really bother me at that point are the ones who for whatever reason intentionally slow down so I'll have to pass, then pass me on the right and hold me in the left lane unable to get around them. This of course makes a line of cars piling up behind me mad as hornets. I don't really understand the pleasure some seem to get from doing that. I actually had a woman in a Honda Accord on our last trip who would do this over and over, and you could see a smile on her face as she would glance over. Eventually she would get in front of me and get way ahead then slow down and do it all again. I finally slowed down almost to a crawl behind her refusing to pass. She finally got bored with that and moved on.
I've noticed this driving I10 between Beaumont and Houston. Posted speed limit is 65 mph most of the way but the majority of drivers run 10 plus miles faster. Used to always see THP between Winnie and Houston but we don't see them much now.

The increase of inconsiderate and disrespectful bumholes has certainly made driving the Interstate a bit more taxing these days.
Old 09-27-2021, 09:12 AM   #17

Some of the issues you are seeing is directly related to orders give to the State Police. Here in Virginia, our Governor (as sorry as he is) has given orders to the State Police to back off on traffic offenders. This combined with the Covid scare, Troopers personally wanting to limit contact with the public as much as possible, has lead to what you and I are seeing on the roadways. I belong to a FB Virginia State Police page where they post regularly. There have been NUMEROUS posts for drivers sited for traveling in access of 100, and in some case 125 mph on the highways of Virginia! Just last week, I was returning from Winchester, Va. and was passed by a vehicle traveling in access of 80 mph on I-95 in fairly heavy traffic, moving lane to lane like it was nothing. Never saw him even approaching from the rear. Also will note, NEVER saw the first State Trooper on the way too, or on the way home from Winchester that evening. A 3 1/2 hour trip for me each way. No such thing as a leisurely drive anymore, that's for sure.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
Old 09-27-2021, 09:44 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Be aware Lane Splitting is legal in some states.
https://www.motorcyclelegalfoundatio...es/#definition
What you consider bad behavior is not universally recognized. And, as my mother always said, one person's bad behavior does not justify bad behavior on your part.
I ride a motorcycle but I would not lane split - I'd be afraid someone would open there car door, to spit or throw out old coffee or such, as I'm coming down the center line toward the front of the stopped cars.
I think the reason some states allow lane splitting is so the motorcycle doesn't get rear ended (sandwiched between cars) while stopped at a red light - so they can get between cars rather than directly behind one.
Old 09-27-2021, 12:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
I ride a motorcycle but I would not lane split - I'd be afraid someone would open there car door, to spit or throw out old coffee or such, as I'm coming down the center line toward the front of the stopped cars.
Now there's an idea I wouldn't have thought of doing as a 4 wheel driver

Have many pet peeves when it comes to other drivers on the road but my two biggies are as I'm now accused of "driving like an old granny", albeit I always drive if safe close to the speed limit.

a) The safety stopping gap I leave in front of me and the vehicle ahead is not for you to squeeze into!

b) Riding on my tail/tailgating me. My hubby hates it when I slow down immensely when folks do that even after I've flashed my brake lights at them to keep a safe distance. The longer they do it the more I slow down and stay that way, until they either get the message or overtake me eventually and give me the look or usually the finger.

As far as speed goes, when Montana had no speed limit, they said they had less accidents than when they started enforcing a limit in the first couple or so years. Ironically we found that most on I15 in Montana with no speed restrictions generally kept at 80 to 90 miles an hour for the most part and were totally in control and on the pretty quiet road from the border where they could have acted like they were on the German Autobahns, but didn't.

Like manners and common sense, it appears good driving habits aren't instilled in folks any more today. Sigh ......
Old 09-27-2021, 11:43 PM   #20

Law enforcement veteran from Indiana, maybe I can explain. Police have "backed off" all over the country because traffic enforcement and traffic stops are incredibly unsafe now. Perhaps you'll get hit by a texting driver while standing outside the car you stopped, perhaps you'll get ambushed and shot, perhaps you'll never go home again. No matter what really happens, in media and public perception, it will be the officer's fault. For the amount they're paid coupled with the lack of support or outright resentment from elected officials and their own communities in many parts of the country, it's not at all worth risking being executed at the side of a highway during a stop just because they maybe wanted to tell someone their brake light is out. Far safer to let what bad will happen, happen and then sort out the wrongdoers later rather than be proactive and prevent such "bad things" pre-emptively. It's a losing situation for them no matter what, no matter where.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:15 AM   #21

Honestly I try make every effort to facilitate traffic flow. I could care less if a motorcycle splits a lane, but if he hits me, we have a problem.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:22 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Be careful out there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpozzuoli View Post
…….My cousin cut one off in stopped traffic on 95 last year. He saw him splitting the stopped cars and got his F350 right in the gap and closed it up. The motorcycle slammed into the back of him doing what we think was 25-30mph. It was in the news for almost a week and he ultimately got aquittted of mv negligence and failure to stay in marked lane……….
In my opinion your description, if accurate, shows clear intent on the part of your cousin. I loathe lane splitters, but your cousin belongs in jail.
2004 Element
Old 09-28-2021, 10:39 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
It is crazy out there,, I will go with the flow on open road with distance BUT.. I have to learn to pay attention also, going with the flow can be not good, Chatting with wife , towing my 7x16.. being passed by cars and rigs,, my MH started to sputter, oh $hxx was my thought,, til I relized I hit the speed stopper in ECU .. backing down to 75-80 actually sucked as I was being swerved around, driven up my arse.. cars whipping around..
This was on both Rt 81 thru NY/PA and then on 476 to 76 in PA..

I was told by others at our destination, yep.. same up from NJ and MD. and from ohio. blah blah...

Not good, Im My BMW X5 is not an excuse for those speed, but I have a fighting chance not in my 96 Minnie.

URGH.. dont even want to travel ...
Old 09-30-2021, 03:18 PM   #24

Quote:
I personally can’t stand motorcycles. I also can’t stand when traffic is stopped and they run down the middle inches from other stopped cars. If I see them I always move over to take up their path. They should wait like everyone else. If one ends up in the back of my truck or rv so be it. ****** to say that, but I have had it with the minorities (most follow the rule, small minority doesn’t) behavior on those two wheel death traps.

My cousin cut one off in stopped traffic on 95 last year. He saw him splitting the stopped cars and got his F350 right in the gap and closed it up. The motorcycle slammed into the back of him doing what we think was 25-30mph. It was in the news for almost a week and he ultimately got aquittted of mv negligence and failure to stay in marked lane. Best part was when the judge gave his decision he said if more people did what he did, the motor bikers would learn fast and follow the rules of the road.

The accident made the paper for a day. The judges decision and his wording made the news for almost a week.
As a 50+ year motorcycle rider and most of it in CA where lane splitting is legal this type of behavior is criminal. Your cousin should have been thrown in jail for attempted assault. This is nothing to gloat over or be proud of.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:19 PM   #25

With roughly 600K miles driven in the last 25 years, most on road trips mostly up and down the eastern side of the US, I haven't really noticed any difference. The roads have always been terrible in many places, 95 and 81 have always been crowded since the 90s, and the highways have always been filled with semis and aggressive left lane hogs.

In the RV the aggressive left lane hogs don't aren't a direct problem, because I'm usually going somewhat under the speed limit on the highway. But because they tie up traffic in knots, they make everyone else angry so it's still a problem because they make the road more dangerous for me too.

I don't see any more or less police on the highways either, it's looked pretty much the same as always last year and this year.

And if you want to know why driving in the US sucks so bad, you don't need to look any farther than Mr "I hate motorcycles lane splitting, they should wait like I have to". I can guarantee you he's also an aggressive left lane hog, and on 2-lane roads he will speed up when being passed just to make passing more dangerous. Combine that attitude with a refusal to spend enough on infrastructure and transportation for 40+ years and you have the US in a nutshell.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:27 PM   #26

Quote:
I personally can’t stand motorcycles. I also can’t stand when traffic is stopped and they run down the middle inches from other stopped cars. If I see them I always move over to take up their path. They should wait like everyone else. If one ends up in the back of my truck or rv so be it. ****** to say that, but I have had it with the minorities (most follow the rule, small minority doesn’t) behavior on those two wheel death traps.

My cousin cut one off in stopped traffic on 95 last year. He saw him splitting the stopped cars and got his F350 right in the gap and closed it up. The motorcycle slammed into the back of him doing what we think was 25-30mph. It was in the news for almost a week and he ultimately got aquittted of mv negligence and failure to stay in marked lane. Best part was when the judge gave his decision he said if more people did what he did, the motor bikers would learn fast and follow the rules of the road.

The accident made the paper for a day. The judges decision and his wording made the news for almost a week.
Well, I have to say you are a complete idiot. You would rather KILL someone than let them pass. BTW, lane splitting is legal in some states, I don't agree with it, but that's the way it is.
Old 09-30-2021, 04:06 PM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
Hpozzuoli OK I AM going to get very hard nosed. if you think every motorcyclists drives like that then I will claim Every motorhome driver acts like they are 80 years old can't drive and think they own the road because they are driving a half million dollar coach !
You need to back up and remove your post! My stupid comment about motorhome operators is just as stupid as you claiming all motorcyclists drive death traps. I am a motorcyclists I DO NOT Lane split ever I wait in line just like everyone else. Tell me the make and license number of your vehicle I promise when I see you broke down on the side of the road I will drive by and leave you stranded. That is a ridiculous statement. I will never leave a motorist stranded if it is safe for me to pull over and offer assistance. I hope no one ever thinks of you the way you think of motorcyclists. Have a blessed day!
2018 Weekend Warrior 4620 fifth wheel toy hauler
Old 09-30-2021, 04:07 PM   #28

Quote:

You'd better check the laws in the state he was in. A lot of states allow lane splitting on motorcycles. Your cousin could have been cited and been at fault.The judge sounds like a total moron for saying what he did.
And yes, I ride a motorcycle.

One of the biggest problems is people with their $$$$$ class A's that think they own the road. Tooling down the left lane blocking traffic.
Closed Thread