Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2021, 08:27 PM   #43

There's a reason why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpozzuoli View Post
I personally can’t stand motorcycles. I also can’t stand when traffic is stopped and they run down the middle inches from other stopped cars. If I see them I always move over to take up their path. They should wait like everyone else. If one ends up in the back of my truck or rv so be it. ****** to say that, but I have had it with the minorities (most follow the rule, small minority doesn’t) behavior on those two wheel death traps.

My cousin cut one off in stopped traffic on 95 last year. He saw him splitting the stopped cars and got his F350 right in the gap and closed it up. The motorcycle slammed into the back of him doing what we think was 25-30mph. It was in the news for almost a week and he ultimately got aquittted of mv negligence and failure to stay in marked lane. Best part was when the judge gave his decision he said if more people did what he did, the motor bikers would learn fast and follow the rules of the road.

The accident made the paper for a day. The judges decision and his wording made the news for almost a week.
Many folks don't know much about mechanics or the way an air cooled engine works.

Harley Davidson is an air cooled motorcycle. If the bike is running and not moving, it's gonna overheat.

Even law enforcement knows why motorcycles keep moving around traffic jams. They happen to ride Harley Davidsons too and have never stopped me or anyone I know for keeping the air flowing.

Remember this the next time you think all motorcycles should follow the law.

I had a car follow me on the shoulder of the road once during a traffic jam as I was keeping the air moving .......... A sheriff spotted us and made the car behind me get back in line then gave him a lecture as to why I was doing what I was doing.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2021, 08:37 PM   #44

Interesting view about air cooled engines. I never had that issue with two VW's, five Honda's or two Suzuki's. I still have my '57 VW and '81 and '06 Honda air cooled's.
Old 09-30-2021, 08:43 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balou View Post
Many folks don't know much about mechanics or the way an air cooled engine works.

Harley Davidson is an air cooled motorcycle. If the bike is running and not moving, it's gonna overheat.

Even law enforcement knows why motorcycles keep moving around traffic jams. They happen to ride Harley Davidsons too and have never stopped me or anyone I know for keeping the air flowing.

Remember this the next time you think all motorcycles should follow the law.

I had a car follow me on the shoulder of the road once during a traffic jam as I was keeping the air moving .......... A sheriff spotted us and made the car behind me get back in line then gave him a lecture as to why I was doing what I was doing.
Soooooo, turning the engine OFF until traffic starts moving again would just be out of the question?
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
Old 09-30-2021, 08:51 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuelman View Post
Soooooo, turning the engine OFF until traffic starts moving again would just be out of the question?
If it is in a really bad traffic jam your battery will go dead, a hot motorcycle engine can be harder to start and with being able to charge the battery it will go dead pretty quick, they are not like car batteries. I know, I had this happen in sturgis, now I keep moving, I go up the shoulder very slowly.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:05 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpozzuoli View Post
I personally can’t stand motorcycles. I also can’t stand when traffic is stopped and they run down the middle inches from other stopped cars. If I see them I always move over to take up their path. They should wait like everyone else. If one ends up in the back of my truck or rv so be it. ****** to say that, but I have had it with the minorities (most follow the rule, small minority doesn’t) behavior on those two wheel death traps.

My cousin cut one off in stopped traffic on 95 last year. He saw him splitting the stopped cars and got his F350 right in the gap and closed it up. The motorcycle slammed into the back of him doing what we think was 25-30mph. It was in the news for almost a week and he ultimately got aquittted of mv negligence and failure to stay in marked lane. Best part was when the judge gave his decision he said if more people did what he did, the motor bikers would learn fast and follow the rules of the road.

The accident made the paper for a day. The judges decision and his wording made the news for almost a week.
You are a, well I can't say it here. As an avid motorcyclist who does not cut lanes, I can tell you a lot of good people die because of people like you.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:53 PM   #48

Motorcycle cooling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
If it is in a really bad traffic jam your battery will go dead, a hot motorcycle engine can be harder to start and with being able to charge the battery it will go dead pretty quick, they are not like car batteries. I know, I had this happen in sturgis, now I keep moving, I go up the shoulder very slowly.
This is one of several reasons that I ride a water cooled Indian.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:33 PM   #49

Okay, my peeve is bicycles. DW and I take the back roads; avoiding highways and congested areas like the plague. So we see bicycles a lot. Too often they are enforcing their rights by riding on the fog line or worse. The sign says share the road but that seems to not apply to the cyclists. I've crawled a mile behind a stubborn cyclist, waiting for room to pass (here in CA we must give cyclists a 3' clearance). Or held up by cyclists riding side by side. Why do they risk their lives to enforce their rights? Why don't they offer a bit of courtesy? Some do, but so many don't. I always did when I was a cyclist.
Old 10-01-2021, 01:14 AM   #50

I've only "lane split" to ride my air-cooled Harley along the shoulder lane to the next exit to cool down and relax in a traffic jam.
While I agree true lane-splitting is ridiculously dangerous, to cut a bike off on purpose is truly a sick thing to do. Pompous ass move 100%.
Live and let live. They will get theirs in the end. It is not for me to judge you. Nor is it for you to judge me.
Old 10-01-2021, 06:13 AM   #51
tcg

When driving my car in Michigan, the right lane is 70 - 80. I usually set the cruise control around 75 and have no problems. Sure traffic goes faster and slower but I don't see a lot of lane changing or very fast reckless drivers, it happens but in my experience it's no more common than it was a few years ago.

In the RV I get in the right lane and stay there at 60 - 65. If there is a lot of ramp traffic I'll move over but for the most part I just stay there. No troubles and many vehicles, especially truck drivers, will let me over if I use a turn signal.

As far as lane splitting, I've never done it and I would never to anything intentionally that might harm another person (or animal for that matter).

I've also had air cooled bikes in rush hour traffic, I occasionally pulled over to let the bike cool down but I never felt the need to keep moving.

I've heard arguments like that for boats, on our canal boats will come down making a wake and when told to slow down they claim they can't go any slower, sure you can, take it out of gear.
Old 10-01-2021, 06:33 AM   #52
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Thread Closed

This thread has devolved into rude comments and arguments. Several posts have had to be removed.

Thank you to those posting within the rules.
Closed Thread