Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2021, 07:08 AM   #1

Be careful out there!

I have my suspicions and opinions but I know for a fact that the roads have gotten a lot more treacherous over the past few years. Just got back from a 2 week Maine to PA trip.

In the past 5 years of RVing and traveling from Maine to CA and back multiple times, this past year has been very different regarding misbehavior on the road.

Truckers driving 80+, in the left lanes weaving in and out of traffic, cars racing each other on a 4 lane highway full of traffic, lane changing 4 lanes at a time then passing on the right (not around me but visable ahead).

This isn't anything new bit the number of incidents have gone through the roof. PLUS, I rarely see police any more. I often say, if I were able to give out tickets I would make the municapality a fortune while ripping up drivers licences by the dozens.

Well, enough venting.. Just be very careful.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2021, 07:31 AM   #2

I personally can’t stand motorcycles. I also can’t stand when traffic is stopped and they run down the middle inches from other stopped cars. If I see them I always move over to take up their path. They should wait like everyone else. If one ends up in the back of my truck or rv so be it. ****** to say that, but I have had it with the minorities (most follow the rule, small minority doesn’t) behavior on those two wheel death traps.

My cousin cut one off in stopped traffic on 95 last year. He saw him splitting the stopped cars and got his F350 right in the gap and closed it up. The motorcycle slammed into the back of him doing what we think was 25-30mph. It was in the news for almost a week and he ultimately got aquittted of mv negligence and failure to stay in marked lane. Best part was when the judge gave his decision he said if more people did what he did, the motor bikers would learn fast and follow the rules of the road.

The accident made the paper for a day. The judges decision and his wording made the news for almost a week.
Old 09-26-2021, 07:34 AM   #3

In CA it is OK to ride the lines. But, only lower than 25MPH I believe. I've seen them go 50+. LOL... Good luck.
Old 09-26-2021, 07:34 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Amazing how fast a topic can go south.

But I have read multiple news articles and seen news report on this. During the start of the pandemic with roadways pretty much barren people started to drive faster. Easier to do with not much traffic on the road. Now with things getting back to normal the fast driving seems to have stayed.

I took a ~8 state trip this summer and it seemed like the overall speed was higher. I would pretty much drive the speed limit but had people zooming by me like I was standing still. Not an issue if you are in the middle of now where but it was much worse in congested areas.

I guess we'll just have to get use to it.
Old 09-26-2021, 07:41 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpozzuoli View Post
I personally can’t stand motorcycles. I also can’t stand when traffic is stopped and they run down the middle inches from other stopped cars. If I see them I always move over to take up their path. They should wait like everyone else. If one ends up in the back of my truck or rv so be it. ****** to say that, but I have had it with the minorities (most follow the rule, small minority doesn’t) behavior on those two wheel death traps.

My cousin cut one off in stopped traffic on 95 last year. He saw him splitting the stopped cars and got his F350 right in the gap and closed it up. The motorcycle slammed into the back of him doing what we think was 25-30mph. It was in the news for almost a week and he ultimately got aquittted of mv negligence and failure to stay in marked lane. Best part was when the judge gave his decision he said if more people did what he did, the motor bikers would learn fast and follow the rules of the road.

The accident made the paper for a day. The judges decision and his wording made the news for almost a week.

Be aware Lane Splitting is legal in some states.
https://www.motorcyclelegalfoundatio...es/#definition
What you consider bad behavior is not universally recognized. And, as my mother always said, one person's bad behavior does not justify bad behavior on your part.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:10 AM   #6

To keep on topic … i find that for the most part, if you just keep to yourself, keep reasonable speed and plenty of following distance you see the bad stuff, but it does not really affect you.

My real worry is the tired or inattentive truck driver. I had o e yesterday while passing me actually shifted right and entered a foot or so into my lane. I saw this and shifted over into the shoulder (yes and laid on my horn). He kept to his lane after that. Like I said, tired or inattentive I guess?
Old 09-26-2021, 10:05 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
To keep on topic … i find that for the most part, if you just keep to yourself, keep reasonable speed and plenty of following distance you see the bad stuff, but it does not really affect you.

My real worry is the tired or inattentive truck driver. I had o e yesterday while passing me actually shifted right and entered a foot or so into my lane. I saw this and shifted over into the shoulder (yes and laid on my horn). He kept to his lane after that. Like I said, tired or inattentive I guess?
Or texting on his phone!
Old 09-26-2021, 12:25 PM   #8

I think things have changed over the past decade or so. I find more and more people have an attitude of "I will do as I please and I don't give a hoot about how it affects you! This may be related our our division in this country due to political affiliation, economic status, and other factors. So, on the highways, we are seeing more aggressive driving and blatant disregard for the law. At age 71, I hope I live long enough to see this trend reverse and there be a bigger sense of "we're all in this together" because if we fail to do so, our existence and way of life on this planet is questionable. I know this may sound a bit radical, but it's what I feel in my gut and I have a lot of worries for our children and grandchildren. The human species is capable of so much more.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
Old 09-26-2021, 01:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpozzuoli View Post

I just don't know what to say about you and your cousin's behavior - all I know is it isn't acceptable. What about your behavior makes it ok?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
I think things have changed over the past decade or so. I find more and more people have an attitude of "I will do as I please and I don't give a hoot about how it affects you! This may be related our our division in this country due to political affiliation, economic status, and other factors. So, on the highways, we are seeing more aggressive driving and blatant disregard for the law. At age 71, I hope I live long enough to see this trend reverse and there be a bigger sense of "we're all in this together" because if we fail to do so, our existence and way of life on this planet is questionable. I know this may sound a bit radical, but it's what I feel in my gut and I have a lot of worries for our children and grandchildren. The human species is capable of so much more.
EXACTLY!! You said it perfectly.
Old 09-26-2021, 05:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Or texting on his phone!

Yeah true. However, today I had the exact same thing happen TWICE. I was minding my own business, rolling down the road, and approach an entry ramp on my right. There, pulled over, but still sitting right on the ramp right where someone coming down the ramp would just begin to think about merging was a truck (WITH the driver out and standing on the left side of the truck). Traffic on my left, so could not pull over. Ok.. there is still the equivalent of a full lane between me and the driver, right?

But wait, barreling down the ramp and accelerating like nobody’s business (see how I neatly avoided the cuss word? [emoji4]) comes a car (the first one had Texas plates as I recall). Had to have seen the truck, maybe did not see me, but did not even bother to slow down and assess the situation. All of a sudden that full lane clearance becomes zero, with that car flying by the pedestrian with something like zero clearance, with me on the left of the car potentially to be hit should the driver decide to shift left to avoid the pedestrian. All I could do was give multiple warning blasts on my horn (yes, I did have the air horn engaged).

I could barely believe the exact same scenario happened within something like two hours of each other.

I think I am getting too old for this stuff…
Old 09-27-2021, 12:56 AM   #12

Maybe as I age I become more intolerant. It does seem like in general drivers have become more aggressive. I caulk it up to lack of enforcement. Just completed an 2.200 mile trip from NC to Maine and back. I recall seeing two officers with vehicles on the side, both were for break downs. 75% of the non commercial traffic was exceeding the speed limit by 10 MPH. One third of these were exceeding the limit by 15+ MPH and following way too close. Left unchecked this trend will only get worse.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:10 AM   #13

I find that, as I age, my behavior and driving become more placid and less aggressive, I'm in less of a hurry, and I am more aware that I will die at some point, and so everyone else's behavior seems more and more outrageous.

But I was just like them when I was younger.

So I'm officially an old fart.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Old 09-27-2021, 01:24 AM   #14

Back in the 80's I had to go to go to Japan for work. At that ti.e everyone drove like there was no tomorrow. Lines on the road were just suggestions. By 2000 they were driving safely and slowed down. I asked what happened. My friends from Japan said that mostly people became satisfied with their status in life. It was reflected in their driving. Think about it.. We will never get there. They will kill you for a .2 second advantage.
Closed Thread