Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2023, 07:51 AM   #1

Be Sure to Check Mfg Dates When Buying New Tires

After reading several tire reviews and comparing prices from different online tire stores. I decided on the 295/80r22.5 Continental at [edit]. I made arrangements with a local tire shop to mount and balance.
I order the tires and they were shipped. It only took about 3 days to get them. The tire store called and said the tires had come in but the DOT dates were a little old. Three tires were marked (0120) and one was marked (0220).

I contacted [edit] tire to find out why they had sent such an old tire. They told me that all their tires are kept in climate controlled warehouses. From the appearance of these tires it looked they had been kept in the back lot. Their policy is to not ship anything over 4 years old. I said that in the RV world that is half the life of the tire and I am paying full price. I told them I want tires that are at least within 6 months of the manufacture date. They told me it would be impossible for them to do that. They deal with over 3000 different distributors around the country. I elected to have the tires picked up and returned with a full refund. They wanted to charge me to ship them back but after talking to a supervisor we were able to come to an agreement. It still took over a week to get my refund back.

The tire store that I was going to have the tires mounted at was able to give me a real good price on the Toyo M144. That was my other choice of tire.
djBoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2023, 08:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by djBoomer View Post
After reading several tire reviews and comparing prices from different online tire stores. I decided on the 295/80r22.5 Continental at [edit] tire. I made arrangements with a local tire shop to mount and balance.
I order the tires and they were shipped. It only took about 3 days to get them. The tire store called and said the tires had come in but the DOT dates were a little old. Three tires were marked (0120) and one was marked (0220).

I contacted [edit] tire to find out why they had sent such an old tire. They told me that all their tires are kept in climate controlled warehouses. From the appearance of these tires it looked they had been kept in the back lot. Their policy is to not ship anything over 4 years old. I said that in the RV world that is half the life of the tire and I am paying full price. I told them I want tires that are at least within 6 months of the manufacture date. They told me it would be impossible for them to do that. They deal with over 3000 different distributors around the country. I elected to have the tires picked up and returned with a full refund. They wanted to charge me to ship them back but after talking to a supervisor we were able to come to an agreement. It still took over a week to get my refund back.

The tire store that I was going to have the tires mounted at was able to give me a real good price on the Toyo M144. That was my other choice of tire.
Good story. I, for one, don’t worry much about tire age, but your new tire age was extreme and you handled it like I would have.

[Edit] tire should have known better but they took a chance you wouldn’t catch the age problem and they lost. Toyo’s are good tires. Great job.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 10:16 AM   #3

A few years ago I had some new tires put on my old Saturn coupe, at one of the major tire chains. I saw them arrive, and walked over to check the dates. They were very fresh, only about 3-4 months old. So I walked over to a local fast food place to have lunch while they were being mounted. After they were done, I drove away, then stopped and got out to look again, and they had put on the wrong tires. They actually were a more expensive tire, but they were almost 3 years old.

I drove back to have the other ones installed, and when I asked him why they hadn't even installed almost 3-year-old tires, he gave me the same story. He said they're kept in a climate controlled warehouse, so they don't worry about that.

When I had new Toyos put on my Class C just about 4 years ago, I also checked the date, and they were only about 3 months old.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 01:35 PM   #4

With rubber, vinyl, etc, storage only goes so far. Chemicals that keep things soft and pliable evaporate with time regardless of storage or covers or shines...

My current tires are 08/09, the guy I bought it from dropped the price for this then tried to get me for some extra reg fees when I picked it up...uh, no bro. I gotta replace 6-7 tires, lets call it good

Set I have lined up are 2021 dates, I'm fine with this because they are gently used and the price is easily half the of what the cheapest new tires would be...if I get 7-8 years off em I'll be happy
Old 04-25-2023, 11:57 AM   #5

Im glad you stuck to your guns on that one. Good Call. For as much as we pay for motorhome tires you should not settle for tires older than 3-6 months in my mind. For the safety value alone I would not want 3+ year old tires that were dead stock.
Old 04-26-2023, 07:04 AM   #6

I guess I never gave much thought to dates. I thought you are buying new tires they should be new. I am sure there are others that share the same feeling. This experience opened my eyes and I hope it will be helpful to others. When buying tires from a local distributor or on line and especially on line.
djBoomer is offline   Reply With Quote