Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2021, 08:55 AM   #1

Beads and Centramatics

I brought our motorhome to a shop to have our new tires put on, they were to spin balance and put on my Centramatics. When I picked up, I found out they put in beads because they didn't have a mount for 8 lug rims. Seems to ride ok so far, but I called Centramatic and they said you should not put anything in tire. Should I leave Centramatics on or remove them?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2021, 10:01 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

My guess is that Centramatic is simply CYA, since they can only be responsible for what their product does. Combining it with another balancing product is not something they can ever "approve". Did they say they were OK with spin-balancing? After all, the weights of spin balancing could affect how the Centramatic performs too.

Intuitively, the beads and the Centramatic liquid could struggle a bit as the wheel begins to roll, with each one shifting its balance to compensate as needed. But once the tire gains a few rpms, each should reach its own equilibrium and everything ought to be fine. But if you did have a suspected balance issue on those tires, who do you contact for help?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:06 PM   #3

If working to your satisfaction, leave well enough alone.

I also agree that any manufacturer of a balancing product will say not to use with any other method to avoid any finger pointing issues.

The only thing that physically will not work is beads first then spin balance. The beads need tire deflection and road speed RPM to work, and spin balance machines produce neither, even the Hunter Roadforce machine spins at a very low RPM.
RichardE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:13 PM   #4

Depends on what the beads are made of. Some breakdown after banging against each other. Others absorb the moisture in the air in the tire. Others will rust.

I used ceramic beads in my off-road truck with 37" bias ply tires on steel double beadlock wheel. They worked great.
Old 06-17-2021, 02:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver612 View Post
I brought our motorhome to a shop to have our new tires put on, they were to spin balance and put on my Centramatics. When I picked up, I found out they put in beads because they didn't have a mount for 8 lug rims. Seems to ride ok so far, but I called Centramatic and they said you should not put anything in tire. Should I leave Centramatics on or remove them?
Maybe I'm just too anal about this stuff, but I would be more than a little pissed at that shop....

You agreed on a certain product, and then the shop substituted something else, all on their own, without checking with you...???

That's completely unsatisfactory to me.. All they had to do is make a phone call and get your consent. You then could have decided which of the two you wanted to go with... or both if you felt it was a good course of action... But that's just NOT their call to make...

I would have never left their lot... I would have demanded that they remove the beads and subtract the cost of the beads AND the spin balance they were unable to perform, from my bill...

Or maybe just remove the Centramatics... not sure I'd trust a shop to unmount & remount my tires, after being caught in bait in switch ....
Old 06-17-2021, 05:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
My guess is that Centramatic is simply CYA, since they can only be responsible for what their product does. Combining it with another balancing product is not something they can ever "approve". Did they say they were OK with spin-balancing? After all, the weights of spin balancing could affect how the Centramatic performs too.

Intuitively, the beads and the Centramatic liquid could struggle a bit as the wheel begins to roll, with each one shifting its balance to compensate as needed. But once the tire gains a few rpms, each should reach its own equilibrium and everything ought to be fine. But if you did have a suspected balance issue on those tires, who do you contact for help?
IMO there is a big difference between spin balance and adding beads to Centramatics.
Spin valance is a once and done and remains static after weights are positioned. Centramatics are dynamic and are changing to adjust for any future wear etc.
Beads are also dynamic so having two dynamic systems operational can be an issue if they continue to adjust and never reach an equilibrium.
I will bet Centramatic will say no need yo in balance but no harm if done prior to installing centramatic rings.
My vote is to have the shop remove the beads and reimburse you for something you never requested or approved.
If they won't do the removal I would have a more re.iable shop do it, send them the bill explaining why and file a complaint with the BBB so it is officially recorded.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:34 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have to agree with "Winemaker2". I've been running Centramatics on my coaches since 2008. I just don't see two different systems, trying to do the same thing, as a good idea. It will be a big endeavor if they did that on all tires, but if just the front two, I would have the beads removed.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 01:10 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

no way I would put beads inside a tire.
miatawnt2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:55 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
I just replaced the rear tires on our coach. They had at least 35k mi on them in 8yrs. They had beads and the inside of the tire shows no damage from the beads.
A friend of mine is a big truch mechanic and now the service manager at a large company service garage and they only use beads for balancing. He has never had a problem and swears by the beads. He did state there are inferior beads out there.
Motorcycle tires are a whole different animal and are very soft compared to auto and truck tires.
My $.02.
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:00 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There really is no issue with running the current generation of beads, as a matter of fact, they're a better system than spin balancing, as spin balancing can change with tire wear. The issue is running them at the same time with Centramatics.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:14 PM   #11

Beads are OK just as long as the special filter valve cores were also installed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:13 PM   #12

I called them the other day, the guy I talked to said they want to make it right. They will take out beads, clean out tires and put back on coach with just the centramatics. Oh and put in the new valve stems I found in the bag I gave them, to put in when doing tires.
Bringing back on Thursday....I'll let you guy's know the outcome...and refunding the price for beads. Thanx for your replies.
Old 06-28-2021, 01:50 PM   #13

Brought back today and they pulled all 6 tires and put in the new valve stems they didn't do the first time. All in all it doesn't feel any different with or with out. They refunded cost of beads and tax. We will see how it feels on a trip. Thanx for everyone's input.