Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2022, 07:58 PM   #1

Bearing fell out of slide-out track?

Hi,

Recently while cleaning hard to reach areas of the RV, I found the bearing in the photo. It appears to go into a portion of the track mechanism for my large slide on the drivers side of my 2016 Holiday Rambler Navigator XE 35E. I took the picture of the slide mechanism through a little hole in the front of the slide. I can see almost no way to access this area well enough to get tools in and reattach the bearing. I think I can also see a but that’s fallen and is sitting by the mechanism. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Ben
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	236C1972-F514-4C31-B817-D38185B930CE.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	468.8 KB
ID:	360141   Click image for larger version

Name:	7457BFFE-C8D4-4767-87B1-8F9024F6940C.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	360142  

haveaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2022, 08:14 PM   #2

This exact thing happened to mine, my dining slide on my Via was noticeably wobbly and unstable when extending and retracting and I found that bearing when I removed the lower outside access panel to investigate. I ended up working from the top by extending the sofa, removing the mattress (air), and removing the inside cover at the floor. It was extremely difficult to put back as it was assembled during construction as a unit then slid into place on the tracks. It took me several hours with pulling things apart and making the tools etc. The main problem is getting an allen wrench into the outer end of the bearing and holding the bearing against the inside of the track for the threaded stud to screw into the nut on the outside of the track. I had to make 2 special tools, I twisted up an allen wrench to fit the space by heating it with my acetylene torch and I made a thin tool out of sheet metal and shaped it to hold the bearing against the track in order to start the nut since your finger will not fit in the track behind the bearing. Once you get it started you can hold the nut with an open end wrench and slip the specially bent allen wrench in the track and into the allen screw on the face of the bearing and tighten it all up. I used Loctite but it did drip around as I struggled to get things to go together.
So you basically have to roll the bearing into the track and maneuver it into place with the special tool so the threaded stud pokes thru the hole while you get the nut started on the outside. Then slip in the allen wrench and hold the nut with the open end wrench. There is no way to make the allen wrench fit behind the bearing until the stud is pushed thru the hole, just no room, thus the thin home made tool to work it into place. Lots of swear words. I may pull it apart after a while to make sure it is not getting loose again. Good Luck and let us know the outcome.

(post has been edited to correct instructions)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210327_132219.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	360143   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210327_161211.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	390.1 KB
ID:	360144  

bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 08:29 PM   #3

Please note I corrected the repair procedure above......It's been awhile and I remembered the bearing orientation wrong
Old 03-23-2022, 08:43 PM   #4

Thanks Brian,

That sounds like as big of a pain as I feared it might be. Now for the next challenge. I don't have an access panel underneath the slide to get access from that direction and there's not any access I can find from the top. I have a dinette on top of the slide and I think the track is under one of the benches. I pulled the drawer out that's on top of the track and haven't found any access from there either.

My best thought right now is to cut a hatch in the floor under the drawer. I can put a cover on it that won't ever be seen. But, even with that, it sounds like the actual repair will be a PITA.

Thanks again for the help
Ben
Old 03-24-2022, 08:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveaday View Post
Thanks Brian,

That sounds like as big of a pain as I feared it might be. Now for the next challenge. I don't have an access panel underneath the slide to get access from that direction and there's not any access I can find from the top. I have a dinette on top of the slide and I think the track is under one of the benches. I pulled the drawer out that's on top of the track and haven't found any access from there either.

My best thought right now is to cut a hatch in the floor under the drawer. I can put a cover on it that won't ever be seen. But, even with that, it sounds like the actual repair will be a PITA.

Thanks again for the help
Ben
Sounds like a plan, I did unbolt the slide from the mechanism but I don't remember if it was for better access or if it's just something I did that wasn't necessary. When it came time to put it back I had to get my wife to help hold the slide in place while I started the mounting bolts.
Check the others while you are in there, I had another one that wasn't tight. They are impossible to tighten without getting an allen wrench to the backside as they just spin. Thinking back I should have stuck a blob of silicone on the end of each one to keep the nut from unthreading.
Old 03-24-2022, 08:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
Sounds like a plan, I did unbolt the slide from the mechanism but I don't remember if it was for better access or if it's just something I did that wasn't necessary. When it came time to put it back I had to get my wife to help hold the slide in place while I started the mounting bolts.
Check the others while you are in there, I had another one that wasn't tight. They are impossible to tighten without getting an allen wrench to the backside as they just spin. Thinking back I should have stuck a blob of silicone on the end of each one to keep the nut from unthreading.
I'm debating cutting a slot in the end of the bolt so I can put a screwdriver on the bolt end, seems like it might be a lot easier than trying to get the allen wrench behind.

Ben
Old 03-24-2022, 08:49 AM   #7

Had the same issue with 5 or six bearings. The issue is these bearings are not supposed to support a load. The slide system includes some nylon rollers that support the slide during movement. If the bearings are falling out the rollers are not adjust properly to support the weight of the slide. You have to re install the bearings with locktite and adjust the rollers to remove the load from the bearings. Good luck!
Old 03-24-2022, 09:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsqrd View Post
Had the same issue with 5 or six bearings. The issue is these bearings are not supposed to support a load. The slide system includes some nylon rollers that support the slide during movement. If the bearings are falling out the rollers are not adjust properly to support the weight of the slide. You have to re install the bearings with locktite and adjust the rollers to remove the load from the bearings. Good luck!
Any tips about how the rollers are adjusted? I can't see them via the very limited access I have to my slide.

Ben
Old 03-24-2022, 07:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Any tips about how the rollers are adjusted? I can't see them via the very limited access I have to my slide.

Ben
I'd like to know more about this as well, I don't recall seeing those but will take a look when I check the bearings before heading out this year.
Old 03-28-2022, 04:00 PM   #10

Well I opened up mine today to check and all 4 metal rollers are still tight but I am looking at the plastic ones just inboard of each metal one, there are 4 nylon looking rollers or pads attached to 4 screws that move in and out with the screws. Mine are all threaded out and loose. Thinking these may be the adjustment Bsqrd is referring to however they don't appear to take any load at all, instead it appears that they are intended to limit lateral movement by snugging them till they come into contact with the back of the rail which would prevent side to side movement as the assembly rides along on the track. The screws are not hard to turn like you would expect if they were for adjustment, you would expect them to have some resistance to hold in place but if they are merely pads like I suspect there would be no rotation as the unit moves so the screws would not be subject to any rotary movement which would cause them to back out, just vibration.
I called Lippert support but they were not real helpful, the representative said she "thinks" I am correct about the purpose of those 4 screws and nylon parts and when I asked it I should put a drop of Loctite on them to keep them from backing out she said "You could if you want" adding that they don't really work on those and offering to send me manuals which I have already searched, and none describe the part. See pics below and let me know how yours look when you get it opened up, and if you think I am correct about their purpose.
Incidentally mine is a "Lippert Power Gear Above Floor Slide" and the access is under the sofa and is a rectangular box about 3 inches high with a sheet metal lid, so technically it is above the floor.

In the pics one view is from the top and 2 from the bottom to show the adjustable screws I am referring to
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rollers.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	360625   Click image for larger version

Name:	bottom2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	360626  

Name:	bottom view.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	360627  
Old 03-28-2022, 05:58 PM   #11

A pic from the manual showing the above floor slide that I have. Yours looks identical and I am assuming your picture is upside down?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	above floor slide.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	360645  
Old 03-28-2022, 07:02 PM   #12

Quote:

Ben
So the nylon rollers are not part of the slide gear assembly. They are large, about 4 or 5 inches long and the slide itself rests on these rollers. The tech that adjusted mine somehow tilted the whole slide out and adjusted the rollers to the correct height so the weight of the slide was off the little bearings in the assembly. This is not a diy situation. You should take it to a dealer that has experience with adjusting the slide. I lost several bearings prior to adjustment and it has been good for two years after. Make sure they locktite the bearings in place. Good luck.

Tags
slide