Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2015, 02:55 PM   #1

Bedroom Carpet Removal

Hello All,

Just wondering how many of you have replaced your bedroom carpet? We are wanting to do so due to a past leak but we are wondering about whether or not to take the cabinets out or not. We have a cabinet in the back next to the closet, the carpet goes underneath and there was some dampness there but not sure how to even begin to take that part out. Any thoughts would be so much appreciated!!
Carrie ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2015, 04:52 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
utility knife with a box of blades- cut around the edges
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:41 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Carrie: When they replaced our bedroom carpeting, they removed a couple wood trim pieces and the track and doors for the closet (which nestles in the rear cap). They were able to remove enough (all?) of the legacy carpeting in this manner, and re-install the new stuff. None of the cabinets (nor the bed) were removed.

It's a good idea to remove and replace the padding at the same time.

Yep, I agree with Ernie: They used a lot of blades in the process!

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:01 PM   #4

I repaired a rear cap leak but it had done its damage while the original owner thought it was from a few spots on the roof were he had backed under a low limb (he had to patch on the roof radius but missed the actual problem).

I am anal with this stuff so I ripped everything out, cabinets and all. As stated lots of razor knife refills (or a good banana knife and a file for frequent sharpening). The builders put everything on top of the carpet (or whatever flooring you have), it's under cabinets, it's everywhere. Those cabinets are stapled and glued just like everything else in these RVs. If you want to reinstall, take pictures as they come apart. Mine is done except for the cabinets. I'm reusing the faux marble tops but having a local Amish cabinetmaker build me two decent replacements for the bases.

There was minor damage to the bottom of the walls, a few inches up on each side on the inside of the coach running a few feet forward, so I cut evenly across on both sides but other than the wallpaper the luan was still stuck like crazy. Applied new luan to the walls but went much higher than I had to as I wanted to remove the headboard which resembled a brothel fixture.

To reinstall, I used liquid nails, an air stapler and injected low VOC epoxy resin in between (prior to completing the new luan), just to make myself happy that it was all sealed. Lots of staples to pull from the wood below the carpet too. If yours is a pusher, the air box is probably part of one of the cabinets, you can see the cutout in the pictures. Any questions PM me.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:54 PM   #5

I just finished doing this.

Removing the carpeting is a lot easier that it seems it ought to be. Just run a utility knife as close to the walls and cabinets as you can and angle it a bit underneath if you can. Then start at a corner or edge and pull it up, being careful of the staples.Try to remove the carpet in ine piece so you can use it as a rough pattern to cut the new carpet. After the removal take a pair of pliers and pull out any staplers that might be left and use the pliers to gram tufts of the carpet and pull them out as well. You can install the new carpet by bending under about a 1/2" and then stapling it close to the edges Use a pneumatic stapler with narrow crown staples.
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:37 PM   #6

Thanks guys for the replies, will be taking out the carpet in a few weeks. Did you guys change your carpet from under your cabinets or did you just go around the outside of the cabinets?

Boy, owning a motorhome can sure be a deal. We love it though!!!

Thanks, Carrie Ann
Carrie ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:52 PM   #7

I just changed the carpet that showed. Whatever is left under things and not ever seen is clean and in good shape and nobody is going to be seeing it anyway. It's also a tad cheaper if you don't have to buy a bigger piece.

They did it the way they did because it was fast and easy, Put the floor together, staple on the carpet and pad install everything on top. The walls are done the same way. The wallpaper is laminated onto the sheets that make up the inside walls. It'a not regular wallpaper applied with regular wallpaper paste in a regular manner, which also creates issues when trying to remove it, but it can be done as well. It take a long time to get it off.
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:41 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post

Applied new luan to the walls but went much higher than I had to as I wanted to remove the headboard which resembled a brothel fixture.
I want to replace our headboard too. What was the finished headboard made off. Only question is how did you know it resembled a brothel fixture.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #9

He knew that bc brothel headboards10101324019558285 seem to be standard on RVs! 😀

1999 Holiday Rambler Vacationer
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
blousteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:14 PM   #10

OK OK, I'll admit it, I have seen the inside of those places due to my previous line of work LOL!!

Seriously though, if you look at my second picture you will notice the carpet has taken the place of the brothel board up to the base of the mirror. The mattress sits nicely against. And it is now easy to clean the entire room.

Tags
carpet, removal