RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2020, 04:31 PM   #1

Bedroom slide goes out but comes in intermittently

Hi
2003 Tradewinds LTC bedroom slide goes out just fine but when itís time to go in I have to push the button server all times before it finally goes in. Any idea how this can be fixed before it leaves me stranded. The system is power gear
Thanks
rcalbuquerqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2020, 12:03 PM   #2

No help here

Well I was hoping for some help before I tor into it. Didnít get any so......
I pulled the mattress off and started checking everything.
Power to all switches fine
All connections fine
Unbolted the magnetic sensor and pulled on everything all tight.
Did notice bolts holding motor on were loose ...tightened them up and started flipping the switches and it started working.
Hopefully this was it cause new motors can be pricey
rcalbuquerqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:47 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I'm sorry you didn't get any responses. I'm glad you found a possible solution.
Old 05-02-2020, 05:50 PM   #4

I've never seen a Powergear side system, and this may be totally useless to you,, but there some threads over on the Newmar forum that address such a problem with their slides.

Their situation was that the gearbox was mounted on bolts through a thin metal plate. The arrangement was a little less than perfect, so the bolts would get loose and sometimes break off.

Someone there designed a fix for it, and gave detailed instructions on the repairs, including the parts list for bolts,nuts and washers.

Take a look on the Newmar forum and search for something like "loose slide bolts". You should get some interesting reading.

Again, I'm not at all sure this will apply to your coach, but it's worth a try.

Tom
Old 05-07-2020, 04:08 PM   #5

I once owned a 2001 TW-40' coach; however, I can't help you with gearing or electrical issues you may or may not have. ...But, I can ask if you bedroom slide has any damage to the underside of the slideout? ...Why?

Many of these bedroom slides have poorly constructed bottom supports. You can look for this damage by extending your slide; walking outside; and then looking underneath the slideout for deep cracks or other damage in the bottom of the slide paneling. This will create a lot of drag your bedroom motor.

The solution is to pick up 2 shinny aluminum plates (12" wide x 36"long) at HD or Lowes. I think it's 36" long, but maybe 24" will do the trick? I can't remember, but here a link I found at Lowes:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Steelworks-...-Plate/3054573

You need to check both stores for the type of plates that have decorative cross-hatch marks (diamond marks) on one side and a smooth bottom on the other side. These plates are used for foot steps in trucks.

* You want this type of shinny aluminum plate, because it's thicker than sheet metal, it is relatively "stiff", and it will not rust.

Anyway, to fix a bad slideout bottom:

* Pre-drill a lot of holes all the way around the long sides and only on one end of the plate and then countersink each hole.

* Apply polyurethane glue to the cross-hatch side

* Center and shove the non-pre-drilled end of the plate under the metal roller (you cannot see since it is behind the rubber seal) and align the drilled end of the plate with the outer edge of the slide.

* Use sort, countersink screws.

* Use polyurethane glue around the edges of the plate... and let dry overnight.

...And you are done! This job will take you 1.5-2hrs.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 04:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM GUY View Post
I've never seen a Powergear side system, and this may be totally useless to you,, but there some threads over on the Newmar forum that address such a problem with their slides.

Their situation was that the gearbox was mounted on bolts through a thin metal plate. The arrangement was a little less than perfect, so the bolts would get loose and sometimes break off.

Someone there designed a fix for it, and gave detailed instructions on the repairs, including the parts list for bolts,nuts and washers.

Take a look on the Newmar forum and search for something like "loose slide bolts". You should get some interesting reading.

Again, I'm not at all sure this will apply to your coach, but it's worth a try.

Tom
That same fix is also on the Entegra site.

Tags
slide