Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #1

Post Bedroom Slide-Out Won't Open

Dry camping for the F-1 Race in Austin, TX and our bedroom slide-out won't open. It isn't locked and you can hear the pump when you try to slide it out. It doesn't move at all, not even a wiggle so I don't think it is binding up (could be wrong, though). It worked fine when we closed it for the 5 hour drive to Austin. Anyone know of a way to get it to open manually? Would like to be able to get to the drawers and around the bed without having to climb over it. Any help would be appreciated. Happy Camping

P.S.: It stopped working before the drive. We pulled it out into the driveway and tried to reopen the slide and it didn't work. No strange sounds were heard.
DVRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Have you read your manual or called the manufacturer of the slide mechanism yet?
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #3

The manual only tells us how to close it in an emergency, not open it. So far we have been playing phone tag with the manufacture. We have tried pushing on it when it was trying to slide out but it wouldn't even budge.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Elecric or hydraulic slide?
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #5

Hydraulic
Old 11-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #6

Unhappy

The manual talks about turning a nut to crank in the two living room slide-outs back in in an emergency. For the bedroom slide out it says to push it in manual from the outside. Would that mean it doesn't have a manual way to put the slide-out out? I know it isn't an emergency, but it sure is inconvenient.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #7

I once had a problem with a previous coach, which had 4 hydraulic slides (HWH). Mine blew a line on the bedroom slide. I called HWH and they said there was no way to extend the slide manually, just retract it.

Can you hear your pump working when you activate the extend switch? if it does, check all hoses and/or cylinders for hydraulic fluid leakage.
If it does not, check the pump for loss of electrical power.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVRider View Post
The manual talks about turning a nut to crank in the two living room slide-outs back in in an emergency. For the bedroom slide out it says to push it in manual from the outside. Would that mean it doesn't have a manual way to put the slide-out out? I know it isn't an emergency, but it sure is inconvenient.
My guess would be the selenoid for the bedroom slide if all others work, including jacks down. If you can, check voltage at the bedroom slide selenoid while someone else pushes the extend switch. Check your fluid level and the tightness of the screw on the bedroom selenoid. Probably no easy fix tho.
Good Luck
Richard
Old 11-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
OK, hydraulic. 1) If pump is running, first probability is that the reservoir is out of fluid. You will not likely find HWH fluid, so you will need about 5 qts of Dexron. 2) If there is still some fluid in there, it is possible that you blew a hose to the slide somewhere, so look for the fluid spill. 3) If you find that a hose or fitting is blown, leave it alone and get to someone who can replace the hose. DO NOT trick the slide out into the open position, or you will be stuck in place.

We went thru this last weekend. Slide went partially out and stopped. Fitting had come off one end of the hose on one actuator, and fortunately in an accessible place. When we removed the hose, we also found several "bubbles" and/or pinhole leaks in the hose as well. This was the hose that came with the acuatator. This was on a 6 yr. old coach. We had a new hose made up locally. After replacement there was a bit of a mess figuring out what lines to depressurize/cap etc. to purge the system, but finally got it done.

Keep that slide in and go to the races!
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #10

We had the same problem. The first time it happened we found that the bedroom slide was on a GFI fault, which was in the bathroom and above the sink in the kitchen. We reset the ground fault. The next time was electrical so the dealer, who we called, had me go in the storage (basement) where the connections where for the slides and we found that the connection that operates the slide we were having a problem with had come loose and was only making a connection now and then. That solved the problem......so far anyway.
irvwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #11

Well I found the problem yesterday. Called the 800 number and guy talked me through on checking the solenoids for the slide outs, very east to do once you know where they are at. Mine are under the front entry steps on top of the pump. After we found out which solenoid it was I was then going to check the voltage on the solenoid. When I grabbed the connector I noticed it came apart VERY easy so I made sure the connection was good and tried it and it worked. Turns out the connector was not pushed together all the way, but it still looked like it was connected. I have put zip ties on all me connectors now to make sure the connector snap stays locked! Easy and cheap fix. Thanks for all the help...