Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2019, 12:18 PM   #15

I am one who strongly discourages any form of overloading. Even a little bit.

My "day job" involves either lots of electricity or suspending loads over people (go to a concert in an arena and see the lights, video walls and sound systems? I'm one of the folks who gets that equipment up in the air and defying gravity for 16 hours).

We use a minimum design factor of 5:1 (in some situations or locales it might be 10:1). If a suspension component yields or breaks at, say, 20,000 lbs the maximum permissible load is 4,000 lbs for a straight axis, static load. Things that move require specific engineering study to determine the required strength; things that involve angled loading require further de-rating. These are among the reasons you don't routinely hear of performers or audience members being injured or killed by falling speakers, light trusses or video walls. We know the working load limits of every single component used and we can deduce the full design capacity of each anchorage or lifting assembly.

In reading a lot of tow-related posts here I get a really queasy feeling in my gut from the Laissez Faire approach to dynamic loading of the tow vehicle chassis, the attachment of tow equipment to the chassis, and the behavior of the load being towed and the forces those behaviors place on *every* component of the towing system (from chassis to rear bumper of the towed vehicle). We don't know how much extra capacity has been designed into the *system* of towing. Could be a little, might be a lot, but we have no way of knowing and the various manufacturers can't tell us either, because no single entity is responsible for the performance of the *system* - no single manufacturer controls each and every aspect of the system.

I think it's a daily miracle that there are not more towing related failures based on the posts I've read here at iRV2.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
A 5000 lb hitch is capable of towing 5000 lbs (horizontal load), not supporting it. They are usually capable of supporting 500 lbs weight (vertical load) So being 4 down does not reduce your weight - it is all behind you.

Now that triple tow thing. That could be expensive. I've seen some do it, but I have not seen how many tickets they get.
2015 Itasca Sunova 30A, Brazel Ultra RV Tune, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs on front, CHF, Hellwig Endlinks, SuperSteer track (Panhard) bar, Roadmaster rear sway bar, Koni Shocks, 900 w. solar, Battle Born House batteries, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Ford Explorer and DW.
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:38 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As long as I am on federal and state highways I am legal. My golf cart trailer is permanent attach to my MH thus making it a part of the unit. Law states that it cannot be unhitched like a trailer I am good. So I am considered a double in reality. I will probably be pulled Towing was my main concern. I do appreciate all the comments though.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by patraveler84 View Post
Everyone. Love the responses but I need to clarify. My coach is 26000 lb I have dual receivers to distribute the tongue weight evenly. My Jeep is 3900 curb weight. I tow 4 wheels down. I also tow 1100 lb golf trailer that includes the golf cart. Weight actually will be 5200 lbs total towing weight if I am calculating correctly. With Jeep on the ground My towing weight is reduced. Is that correct? Yes It a triple tow. Exceeding the limit by 200 lbs. With the dual receivers I Thinking I okay.

I didn't see the bolded question specifically addressed, might have missed it.

No, it does not reduce the weight being towed, it only means no load is added to the tongue, affecting the GVWR of the motorhome. Its full weight does affect towing capacity, hitch capacity and GCWR.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:38 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
As long as I am on federal and state highways I am legal. My golf cart trailer is permanent attach to my MH thus making it a part of the unit. Law states that it cannot be unhitched like a trailer I am good. So I am considered a double in reality. I will probably be pulled Towing was my main concern. I do appreciate all the comments though.
If you are over weight then your insurance could refuse to protect you if you are involved in an accident:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/rv-in...les-12895.html

The most important concern in any MH modification should be safety for you, your passengers and everyone you share the road with. My friend had his gasser modified to haul a Goldwing motorcycle (1000 lbs) on a lift and to flat tow a full size pickup truck. He was surprised when the mod failed and his pickup passed his motorhome while traveling on I-5. His insurance company was not amused. He was lucky that his truck only took out a few sections of guardrail before it was totaled. He was out of pocket for the truck and the damage it caused.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:52 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
So I can set up my class A just as you described, drive the 1/8 of mile to the end of my residential street, make a left turn on to US60 and I'm home free all the way from south eastern Virginia to western Arizona? Cool beans! I can't wait for the first LEO that pulls me over I can just tell them to go bark at the moon and to stop harassing me because I'm on a Federal Highway and legal. Vacation next summer is really going to be so much fun.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:43 AM   #21

What kind of "golf cart" trailer are you using? Just curious.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:18 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To answer you question concerning the golf cart attachment. Itís call a swivel wheel. Sold in Houston Texas. Model DW58DM. Go to Cruiserlift.com. They will answer any question you have including the legality of towing with it

Jim
Old 09-13-2019, 04:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
So I can set up my class A just as you described, drive the 1/8 of mile to the end of my residential street, make a left turn on to US60 and I'm home free all the way from south eastern Virginia to western Arizona? Cool beans! I can't wait for the first LEO that pulls me over I can just tell them to go bark at the moon and to stop harassing me because I'm on a Federal Highway and legal. Vacation next summer is really going to be so much fun.
Regardless of it being a "federal" highway or not, laws vary state to state on how many (trailers / attachments / whatever you want to call it) can be behind the primary vehicle. In Oregon, it is a two vehicle combination only, on any road - state or federal. I would think is OSP stopped you, they would count how many rigs are behind the tow vehicle - two is one too many. JMO and Oregon law. Here are the states that allow multiple towing, and it is not all states: https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguid...triple_towing/
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:28 PM   #24

Just make sure you have enough BRAKES to stop in a panic sititution. And a breakaway system encase something like your base-plate breaks a weld or your tow bar comes unpinned. Lots of stories on this bbs id you go some searching.

I have a 39' Diesel pusher that a few times I was wishing I had a anchor along with my air breaks !! It seems that many people don't know the acceleration lane is for getting going as fast or faster than I am doing 65mph towing a car on a dolly !! If I try to slow down, they do the SAME !!! Never know what people will do on the highways :(
No Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:36 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
Regardless of it being a "federal" highway or not, laws vary state to state on how many (trailers / attachments / whatever you want to call it) can be behind the primary vehicle. In Oregon, it is a two vehicle combination only, on any road - state or federal. I would think is OSP stopped you, they would count how many rigs are behind the tow vehicle - two is one too many. JMO and Oregon law. Here are the states that allow multiple towing, and it is not all states: https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguid...triple_towing/
Exactly and even more if the officer in the field thinks you're unsafe or improperly towing guess what, you are unsafe and improperly towing. You can site code, law, regulation or your favorite lines from Henry the Eighth it doesn't matter. You might be right an the officer wrong but you'll never find out unless you stick around long enough for the traffic court hearing but in the meantime your rig is impounded in place until you makes some changes.

Tags
frame, f53