RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2020, 06:03 PM   #1

Wink Beginner RVer

I am considering the purchase of a Class A RV and would like to know what manufacturers are highly recommended and those that are not. Please share your experience.

Thank you!

Aunt Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2020, 06:21 PM   #2

We spent a lot of time looking for our first class A and narrowed it down to Tiffan and Newmar. We ended up buying a Newmar because it had a great layout for our needs and it was available at the right time.

The good choices are not limited to Tiffan or Newmar and the forums on this site are a good place to help with your evaluation.

rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:40 PM   #3

How do you intend to use it? Weekends, extended trips, fulltime? New or used? What is your budget? Need more info for a more informed answer.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:34 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Have you ever camped in an RV before? Are you traveling alone, with family, with animals? Where will you be camping? if you search the forums or Facebook groups you will find a ton of info on anything you could think of relative to RV's.

If you are new to RV's, I'd recommend you do a couple of rental runs and check out the lifestyle. I have seen people become miserable because the reality is way different then the expectations.

Also understand the RV'ing is a participation sport, you have to maintain and repair your coach while on the road or between trips. Relying on dealers can be costly and eat away from the availability of your rig.

Not trying to push you either way, just want to make sure you make an informed choice.

j
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:31 AM   #5

If I was going Class A, it would be one of the Tiffin units. And I'd be looking for a used low mileage unit to start with.

And I would be calling Bankston Motorhomes in Huntsville, AL--a superior RV dealer. People fly into here from all over the country to do business with them. I drove by his Ardmore location (20 mi. from Huntsville) yesterday, and I couldn't get over the used inventory he had on the lot.

My cousin started with a Class C, but quickly went to a couple of Tiffin's gas powered Class A's. Now he's running a Tiffin Phaeton diesel pusher.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:23 AM   #6

All depends on if you want new or used. Mfg such as Country Coach have higher quality build, especially the chassis, than any brand. But, they've been gone for almost 10yrs.
I'd say other brands, such as Newmar, had higher build quality late 90s to 2005 or so. All the materials cost reductions of newer units are designed to improve margin, not the quality of the coach.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:06 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Lots of things to consider about this. Anticipated usage, budget figure, new or used, etc. Tell us a little more about your needs and wants.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:40 PM   #8

This is a very hard question to answer, are you looking new or used, ... Some brands build only upper end models, other have broader range going from entry level on up to mid-upper. Some have moved up market over the years, others have moved down market, and some once respected brands have been bought out and now exist in name only as just another rebadged product.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:35 AM   #9

In our search for a used class a gas motorhome, we ended up with Tiffin, Newmar and Winnebago/Itasca as our short list. We initially were thinking of buying something older such as a 2005 or slightly newer. When reading up on units from that time period, I became very concerned about the rusting windshield frame on many of the Winnebago units and was a bit concerned. Based upon the condition and interiors of the rigs we looked at, we decided to increase the budget and feel that we were lucky to find our Bay Star.

But, many folks are happy with units from other manufacturers, and you have to make decisions based on your budget, mechanical abilities, floor plan preferences, etc. By all means, make sure you give any rig a really good road test, especially on a highway where you can see how it handles at 60-65 mph.

Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote